What was the first FPS game to implement mouse-aiming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bawathegamer
Member since 2007 • 1498 Posts

I was just wondering. I remember playing Doom and Quake back in the day and remembered they used the keyboard controls(strange how it worked so well,no?). Those were the only 2 pc games i used to play with my friend at his house.I was mostly a Snes gamer and stopped playing games for a few years between 98-01.

I never played another pc game till 2001/02 .That was CS 1.6.It was a little intimidating the first couple of days we played at a LAN cafe but eventually got the ropes of it. Now ofcourse ive played many shooters on pc and console .I was wondering which game first implemented the mouse-aim system, or which one made it mainsteam. Im assuming it was a game between 95(quake?) and 98-Hl1.Since i havent played too many fps game pre HL besides doom and quake ...i thought id ask the PC veterans on this board.

Also- how did multiplayer work in doom if you coudnt aim with a mouse? I assume there was a **** load of strafing involved? Amirite?

BobC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BobC
Member since 2003 • 6259 Posts

If you played Doom with the keyboard only, you were DOIN IT WRONG!

You could play that game with the mouse. Of course aiming up and down didn't mean anything since it was a 2.5D game. Quake was the first true 3D shooter (of consequence) so playing with the mouse was pretty much a requirement.

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts
Using the mouse to aim right/left and up/down was first implemented in an FPS in Duke Nukem 3D (beats out Quake by 4 months). I distinctly remember using the mouse to pull off what was then an un-heard of deathmatch maneuver: jumping from the top of the rocket launch gantry, aiming down at my friend (we were playing a direct connect deathmatch game) with the rocket launcher, firing off two shots before softly touching down on the hard tarmac below ('softly' after a quick burst from the jet-pack I had picked up earlier). He couldn't believe that I actually used the mouse to aim down at him...my, how FPS's have changed.
BobC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BobC
Member since 2003 • 6259 Posts

Though the title of the game was "Duke Nukem 3D" the game was built on a heavily modified version of the Doom engine. DN3D utilized some tricks to create the illusion of 3D environments, but was not a true 3D game like Quake. It was "2.5D" like Doom.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bawathegamer
Member since 2007 • 1498 Posts

If you played Doom with the keyboard only, you were DOIN IT WRONG!

You could play that game with the mouse. Of course aiming up and down didn't mean anything since it was a 2.5D game. Quake was the first true 3D shooter (of consequence) so playing with the mouse was pretty much a requirement.

BobC

really ? that means everyone played doom with a mouse? wow. i feel dumb. i never knew that.but i was able to play the singleplayer for hours without being frustrated and i dont remember ever seeing my friends use the mouse. i feel like such a noob.

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ein-7919

Though the title of the game was "Duke Nukem 3D" the game was built on a heavily modified version of the Doom engine. DN3D utilized some tricks to create the illusion of 3D environments, but was not a true 3D game like Quake. It was "2.5D" like Doom.

BobC

Yes, I am not referring to the 3D versus 2.5D of DN3D...I am merely answering the question "What was the first FPS game to implement mouse-aiming"...and to my knowledge, that would be DN3D. Now, I should qualify what I mean by mouse-aiming, I am talking about up/down in addition to left/right aiming. Because, I believe, 'aiming' along one of those axes would be somewhat misleading. Basically, in Doom you pretty much pointed in the general direction of your target and let auto-aim deal with the rest. With DN3D, you actually had to put the crosshairs on the target to actually hit anything.

But, as I said, that is merely to my knowledge, so there could be other FPSes that pre-dated DN3D with the whole mouse-aiming thing (i.e. Marathon), but I am unsure as I have not played those games.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

But, as I said, that is merely to my knowledge, so there could be other FPSes that pre-dated DN3D with the whole mouse-aiming thing (i.e. Marathon), but I am unsure as I have not played those games.

Ein-7919

Indeed. Marathon is actually the first FPS to feature true mouselook. Terminator: Futureshock is the first FPS on the PC to have it.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JP_Russell

BobC

Duke Nukem 3D's engine is not a modified Doom engine. It uses the Build Engine by Ken Silverman.

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ein-7919
I suppose if we really wanted to be general and broaden our definition of mouse-aiming, Terminator 2029 would totally fit the bill. Basically you moved on tiles (kind of like movement in the first 6 Might and Magic games), but you used the mouse to control your targetting reticle (and you had to aim your reticle at targets in order to hit them). It was actually REALLY fun back in '92. Man...I miss that game.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JP_Russell

I suppose if we really wanted to be general and broaden our definition of mouse-aiming, Terminator 2029 would totally fit the bill. Basically you moved on tiles (kind of like movement in the first 6 Might and Magic games), but you used the mouse to control your targetting reticle (and you had to aim your reticle at targets in order to hit them).Ein-7919

Well, perhaps, if one does not mean for mouse-aim to be synonymous with mouselook. But it seems rather pointless to consider it in those terms, as mouse-aiming without mouselook is basically just the same movement system as a FPS without mouse-aim, only the auto-aim is replaced with manual aiming. By that token, mouse-aim by itself isn't all that special, only adding an extra function, whereas mouselook totally changes the way one maneuvers about the environment as well as how they aim at things. I figured mouselook is actually what the TC was referring to, since mouse-aim is often used to mean the same thing.

Also, just as Doom's mouselook isn't "true" mouselook, I think 2029 wasn't a "true" FPS even though it may fit the definition in the most technical sense (in fact, Wikipedia calls it an action-adventure, not an FPS).

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ein-7919

Well, perhaps, if one does not mean for mouse-aim to be synonymous with mouselook. But it seems rather pointless to consider it in those terms, as mouse-aiming without mouselook is basically just the same movement system as a FPS without mouse-aim, only the auto-aim is replaced with manual aiming. By that token, mouse-aim by itself isn't all that special, only adding an extra function, whereas mouselook totally changes the way one maneuvers about the environment as well as how they aim at things. I figured mouselook is actually what the TC was referring to, since mouse-aim is often used to mean the same thing.JP_Russell

Good call on that one. The advent of mouse-look enabled the circle-strafe technique that the OP references. So mouse-aiming (where one merely points a reticle around the view using the mouse) has been around for a VERY long time (I remember using it in a DOS game called Corporation back in the late 80s/REAL early '90s)...so I guess the question (which has been answered with Marathon) should be 'What was the first FPS game to implement mouse-look.'

(in fact, Wikipedia calls it an action-adventure, not an FPS).

JP_Russell

That might very well be the case...I was simply going with what Gamespot classified it as (apparently, they call it a "Modern First Person Shoot"...since when is a game set in 2029 post-apocalyptic L.A. considered to be in "Modern" times?)

brain20035

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#12 brain20035
Member since 2004 • 2042 Posts
might sound a bit irrelevent, but the first game that I remember playing with the mouse-aim thing, was Max payne...
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I'm not sure, but the first one I can recall is Dark Forces. I believe Doom, Nightmare 3d and Wolfenstein used arrow keys, which were the only other FPS I played older than Dark Forces.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JP_Russell
^Dark Forces doesn't have true mouselook. The X-axis does turn you left and right, but the Y-axis moves you back and forth. You can't look up and down with the mouse.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

^Dark Forces doesn't have true mouselook. The X-axis does turn you left and right, but the Y-axis moves you back and forth. You can't look up and down with the mouse.JP_Russell

Oh. Then I remembered it wrong :S I'll just with Quake II then.