What the hell happened to THIS Diablo 3 ???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Now I've enjoyed D3 a lot, and I always thought that this video was just some levels that I never discovered, but after watching it again, I realize that all this isn't even in the final game.

How the hell did that happen? They had dynamic events, Cain as a companion, heaps interesting (and bigger) bosses, the music, CUTSCENES !!!

It was basically running on the same engine so why was all this just a tech show? There were ideas in here that would of been great for the game...

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

the classic bait and switch. welcome to todays videogame marketing.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Marketing, if you watch close the exp bar does not fill

EDIT: also they didn't want to go away from the safe formula

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FelipeInside

@cyloninside said:

@PredatorRules said:

I understand CGI movies for marketing and all that.... but this video seems to be running on the same engine the game was released, so why not just include all the things that obviously you already programmed for this video?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127491 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

I understand CGI movies for marketing and all that.... but this video seems to be running on the same engine the game was released, so why not just include all the things that obviously you already programmed for this video?

That's one thing I don't understand. What more can you do to lie to your potential customers than showing a CGI movie showing something that is never in the final game?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside

@horgen123 said:

@FelipeInside said:

That's one thing I don't understand. What more can you do to lie to your potential customers than showing a CGI movie showing something that is never in the final game?

CGI movies aren't lying to your customers, it's just a cutscene to show a story. It's like saying let's not give books any covers because it's all written texts so you should be using your imagination.

The CGI movies most of the time end up in the game anyway, just to carry the story between levels. I don't mind them at all, but what annoys me is when they show ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE which is nowhere in the final product. I'm sure someone could take Blizzard to court saying 'you showed this product' and I never got it.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@FelipeInside: I have no idea bro, but I was highly disappointed when I realized so much had changed. I think they went back to the drawing board midway into the development process and built the game with consoles in mind. Nothing against consoles per say, I'm just speculating that's the reason why so much was simplified; such as only being able to use X amount of skills at a time, no skill points, no stat management, no droppable runes, no option to Host your own game like Diablo 2, etc.

Literally, early D3 videos looked like an upgraded Diablo 2, which is exactly what fans wanted... but blizz took a turn somewhere off the main highway. However, I'm enjoying D3 a lot more now though after the Loot 2.0 patches.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@remiks00 said:

@FelipeInside: I have no idea bro, but I was highly disappointed when I realized so much had changed. I think they went back to the drawing board midway into the development process and built the game with consoles in mind. Nothing against consoles per say, I'm just speculating that's the reason why so much was simplified; such as only being able to use X amount of skills at a time, no skill points, no stat management, no droppable runes, no option to Host your own game like Diablo 2, etc.

Literally, early D3 videos looked like an upgraded Diablo 2, which is exactly what fans wanted... but blizz took a turn somewhere off the main highway. However, I'm enjoying D3 a lot more now though after the Loot 2.0 patches.

Yeah, it's sad.

But I agree with you on the last point, I'm back fully into D3 with the removal of the AH and Loot 2.0. It's fun like D1 and D2 were... at least till tomorrow, ESO launch :)

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

I haven't played Diablo 3 in what feels like 1.5-2 years but that old trailer almost got me to play it again but I know it was nothing like that. Patch 2.0 did look promising.

@FelipeInside said:

@remiks00 said:

Yeah, it's sad.

But I agree with you on the last point, I'm back fully into D3 with the removal of the AH and Loot 2.0. It's fun like D1 and D2 were... at least till tomorrow, ESO launch :)

What faction are you playing?

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

It was this video that even brought my attention to Diablo and made me buy the battlechest of which I enjoyed HOURS of play. While I think they still could have done better in the final game, I know that I'm for sure enjoying myself in the third.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@daious said:

I haven't played Diablo 3 in what feels like 1.5-2 years but that old trailer almost got me to play it again but I know it was nothing like that. Patch 2.0 did look promising.

@FelipeInside said:

@remiks00 said:

Yeah, it's sad.

What faction are you playing?

A few guys from work are also getting it so we are going NA Megaserver - Ebonheart Pact

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

haha

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

They wouldn't cut things from the game for no reason. It's not some fucking marketing conspiracy, every game being developed won't fulfill its full potential because shit breaks and design decisions has to be made. And at some point you just have to release the thing. You can't point to Blizzard as a company that rushes out games either.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FelipeInside

@RevanBITW said:

They wouldn't cut things from the game for no reason. It's not some fucking marketing conspiracy, every game being developed won't fulfill its full potential because shit breaks and design decisions has to be made. And at some point you just have to release the thing. You can't point to Blizzard as a company that rushes out games either.

That's understandable, but some things they took out just baffles me.

For example the animated cutscenes. They already had the engine rendering them so why just take them out? The huge boss at the end of the video?

Still pisses me off thought that they show something, and then release something totally different.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@cyloninside said:

@PredatorRules said:

If I do remember right the previous Aliens game had a trailer showing a level that was never in the final game.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

@cyloninside said:

@PredatorRules said:

If I do remember right the previous Aliens game had a trailer showing a level that was never in the final game.

colonial marines was quite possibly the biggest bait and switch that has ever been seen in the industry. it was literally -not- the same game that had been shown off prior to release. it wasnt even the same engine...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

not really seeing anything impressive about this video

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Yeah you could take them to court, but you better lube up really well beforehand considering their lawyers don't F*** around.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Now I've enjoyed D3 a lot, and I always thought that this video was just some levels that I never discovered, but after watching it again, I realize that all this isn't even in the final game.

How the hell did that happen? They had dynamic events, Cain as a companion, heaps interesting (and bigger) bosses, the music, CUTSCENES !!!

It was basically running on the same engine so why was all this just a tech show? There were ideas in here that would of been great for the game...

Loading Video...

All of that got removed during the beta.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

Loading Video...

Must note they didn't removed the dynamic events because a friend of mine finished it for the 5th time and discovered a brand 2 new events while playing with me on a session today.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Makes you wonder why they would take the time and effort to take something out.... Maybe it was out of place with the story or something... Who knows its Blizzard... lol