What sound card should I get for this sound system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

Logitech Z906

I am currently using the Logitech X-530's so the card will first be used with this

#2 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

I'd say you can get better speakers for the money.

#3 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

I'd say you can get better speakers for the money.

kraken2109

open to recommendations

not getting a new system until xmas, just want to get a card for the speakers i have now that will be able to accomodate my future system.

I hardly know anything about audio

#4 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

For that budget you should be able to get an AV reciever and seperates.

#5 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

For that budget you should be able to get an AV reciever and seperates.

kraken2109

cool I'll look further into that. what would be a good card to get for that future system?

#6 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8084 posts) -

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88ZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364102106&sr=1-1&keywords=s5500

Boom! Some times is on sale for $200-250 could be amazon, newegg, or which ever site that sells these.

#7 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88ZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364102106&sr=1-1&keywords=s5500

Boom! Some times is on sale for $200-250 could be amazon, newegg, or which ever site that sells these.

Bikouchu35

wow, well 42% off is still nice. Too bad im not currently in the market for a new system, just got my X-530's last week and im very happy with them. Especially considering that I upgraded from a bad 2.0 set up haha.

someone help me with a sound card!

am using my on board HD audio CODEC which is nice but im sure a good sound card would be better

#8 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26378 posts) -

Easiest setup would be an Asus Xonar DS. Use optical out for connection and enable Dobly Digital Live. Enjoy some awesome sound.

#9 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

TheProdigy619

wow, well 42% off is still nice. Too bad im not currently in the market for a new system, just got my X-530's last week and im very happy with them. Especially considering that I upgraded from a bad 2.0 set up haha.

am using my on board HD audio CODEC which is nice but im sure a good sound card would be better

I don't understand, you said you were going to buy that logitech set?
#10 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

kraken2109

not sure where you are confused, maybe you misread something?

i said i own the x-530's and i was going to get the z906's around xmas but then u suggested I could get something better for the money etc. etc.

Should all be above, give it a quick re-read

EDIT:

BTW I do have intentions of getting a nice headset with AMP/DOC so the soundcard should be good for headsets aswell (but i care way more about the 5.1 system quality). I've seen the Xonar XDG and DG; good prices but is there better quality out there? If im going to end up with a highquality sound system/headset I wouldn't want to skimp on the sound card.

#11 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

TheProdigy619

i said i own the x-530's and i was going to get the z906's around xmas but then u suggested I could get something better for the money etc. etc.

EDIT:

BTW I do have intentions of getting a nice headset with AMP/DOC so the soundcard should be good for headsets aswell (but i care way more about the 5.1 system quality). I've seen the Xonar XDG and DG; good prices but is there better quality out there? If im going to end up with a highquality sound system/headset I wouldn't want to skimp on the sound card.

If you're using an external DAC and amp you have no need for a soundcard, since a soundcard is essentially just a dac and amp.
#12 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] I don't understand, you said you were going to buy that logitech set?kraken2109

EDIT:

If you're using an external DAC and amp you have no need for a soundcard, since a soundcard is essentially just a dac and amp.

ok but i still need one fo rthe 5.1 systemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................................................................................................................

#13 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8084 posts) -

^Just get a xonar dg until you get an av surround and/or dac+amp headphone setup.

#14 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

^Just get a xonar dg until you get an av surround and/or dac+amp headphone setup.

Bikouchu35

I'd rather not need to upgrade, what soundcard would you recommend for that onkyo 7.1 set up?

#15 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

bump

#16 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

TheProdigy619

I'd rather not need to upgrade, what soundcard would you recommend for that onkyo 7.1 set up?

AV recievers have a DAC built in, you don't need a soundcard
#17 Posted by Zaral_1 (186 posts) -
Just get a creative Z series, they good for gaming and sound good
#18 Posted by TheProdigy619 (317 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

kraken2109

oh wow, ok. I get it now, haha.. Thanks for saving me money guys, I can live with the Audio CODEC my mobo came with until i get the headphone amp/dac and reciever

#19 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

kraken2109

Not for the DAC, anyway. Hardware sound acceleration in older games generally requires a good sound card DSP, though...but for the full 7.1, S/PDIF won't do, and I only know of TWO sound cards with HDMI output. Neither are cheap or common.