What MMO had the most potential to compete with WoW?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jermone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll What MMO had the most potential to compete with WoW? (14 votes)

Guild Wars 2 71%
Rift 0%
Age of Conan 7%
Star Wars: The Old Republic 7%
War Hammer Online 14%

All of the above supposedly "WoW killers" all failed. I am not saying these games are complete failures, but they failed to conquer the MMO beast that is WoW. Not even coming close to the playing field of World of Warcraft.

But which one had the most potential? I am not asking which one is the most successfully out of the bunch, I am asking instead which one (taken in the right direction) had the most potential.

For me it is Age of Conan. I think this game had A LOT of excitement from gamers. It had a lot going for it... Awesome graphics, great PVP direction and a very mature theme that was perfect to go against the toony WoW. I mean come on... who doesn't like topless women? : )

I also think that the single player story line portion of the game was a fantastic competitive advantage that Conan had. Including the voice acting.

I feel they should have ditched the whole up down left right combat mechanic. Making it more similar to WoW. They could have leaned on the graphics, mature theme and PVP/Fort building to compete against World of Warcraft.

I really feel that if this game (before release) was taken over by a AAA developer and had its bugs cleaned up, gameplay added and over all polish. This game would have been real competition for WoW. Its just too bad that Age of Conan was released not even close to being complete.

• 
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#1 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I always thought a well-executed Elder Scrolls MMO would be able to hold it's own against World of Warcraft because it would be a similar situation like the Warcraft 3 - WoW transition; a franchise peaking in popularity, genre change while staying true to lore.

Except, the MMO we're going to get will be very underwhelming.

Jermone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Jermone123
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

I like your point... taking a franchise peaking in popularity (Elder Scrolls certainly qualifies) and making an MMO out of it. That is exactly what Blizzard did with Warcraft. Sadly I agree with your guess that this game is going to be underwhelming. I feel that one under lining main reason why a lot of MMO's fail is because of the lack of $$ and man power. Blizzard is a power house. Even before WoW they were. A lot of these MMO's are created from much smaller developers. Developers with much less assets. MMO's are extremely hard to create.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

"wow killer"... what a misnomer. the biggest problem with the term was that people expected an MMO to dethrone an MMO that changed the genre, then swelled up to massive size during its genre's peak.

the term wow killer is like the term quake killer. you expect an arena shooter to dethrone an arena shooter after the decline of arena shooters? not gonna happen.

the real wow killer are mobas, Dota and lol. tens of millions of players, levelling up, getting items, every match is a hundred times more intense than raids and has just as many noobs with the wrong gear. we can even blame them for the casualizing of the genre.

MMOs are declining in popularity. you're only fooling yourself if you're waiting for the wow killer, and you're depriving yourself of good MMOs if you think that's the only one you can enjoy.

there will never be a wow killer.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@Kh1ndjal said:

"wow killer"... what a misnomer. the biggest problem with the term was that people expected an MMO to dethrone an MMO that changed the genre, then swelled up to massive size during its genre's peak.

the term wow killer is like the term quake killer. you expect an arena shooter to dethrone an arena shooter after the decline of arena shooters? not gonna happen.

the real wow killer are mobas, Dota and lol. tens of millions of players, levelling up, getting items, every match is a hundred times more intense than raids and has just as many noobs with the wrong gear. we can even blame them for the casualizing of the genre.

MMOs are declining in popularity. you're only fooling yourself if you're waiting for the wow killer, and you're depriving yourself of good MMOs if you think that's the only one you can enjoy.

This is 100% spot on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

This is 100% spot on.

I disagree, comparing this to the arena shooter syndrome. makes it sound like WoW was more complex and harder for people to get into which gave way to s*it modern military shooters like CoD... which is not the case... WoW is a joke. EQ and Ultima were far more their core.

Problem is people are trying to compete with WoW ... by trying to remake Wow... whats the point in these theme park mmos when I could play wow with 10 years of content? why do we need 100 diablo spanks with a 3d lobby.

something that beats WoW in that genre... will be something that does something entirely different YET RIGHT.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

This is 100% spot on.

I disagree, comparing this to the arena shooter syndrome. makes it sound like WoW was more complex and harder for people to get into which gave way to s*it modern military shooters like CoD... which is not the case... WoW is a joke. EQ and Ultima were far more their core.

Problem is people are trying to compete with WoW ... by trying to remake Wow... whats the point in these theme park mmos when I could play wow with 10 years of content? why do we need 100 diablo spanks with a 3d lobby.

something that beats WoW in that genre... will be something that does something entirely different YET RIGHT.

i can't say it was a perfect example, but to put things in perspective, that's what people say about league of legends, when compared to dota. of course, dota 2 is a proper successor, which once again makes me say this wasn't a perfect example.

something that "beats" wow in that genre? what does that even mean?

people only judge "beating" by number of subscribers/players because they haven't yet realized that just because it's enjoyed by 900 billion players doesn't mean it's the right game for them, much less the right MMO for them. which is never gonna happen. when wow came out and hit its peak, diablo games could be played offline, there was no minecraft, the survival genre hadn't spawned, indie games were garbage, mobas were in their infancy and hadn't taken the world by storm which also happened to be free to play games, which until after wow's peak subscriber base, were absolute crap.

so that's never gonna happen realistically. the next $15 monthly subscription game to hit 13 million subscribers probably won't happen this decade. hell, blizzard's diablo 3 couldn't beat blizzard's diablo 2 in the minds of gamers (pun intended). exactly what godlike developer do you expect to come and "beat" world of warcraft?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Kh1ndjal said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

This is 100% spot on.

i can't say it was a perfect example, but to put things in perspective, that's what people say about league of legends, when compared to dota. of course, dota 2 is a proper successor, which once again makes me say this wasn't a perfect example.

something that "beats" wow in that genre? what does that even mean?

people only judge "beating" by number of subscribers/players because they haven't yet realized that just because it's enjoyed by 900 billion players doesn't mean it's the right game for them, much less the right MMO for them. which is never gonna happen. when wow came out and hit its peak, diablo games could be played offline, there was no minecraft, the survival genre hadn't spawned, indie games were garbage, mobas were in their infancy and hadn't taken the world by storm which also happened to be free to play games, which until after wow's peak subscriber base, were absolute crap.

so that's never gonna happen realistically. the next $15 monthly subscription game to hit 13 million subscribers probably won't happen this decade. hell, blizzard's diablo 3 couldn't beat blizzard's diablo 2 in the minds of gamers (pun intended). exactly what godlike developer do you expect to come and "beat" world of warcraft?

Its easy to say these things.... as if it was set in stone. but I bet people thought the same thing about pre-wow. new game sub-genres will be born over time. you mention Diablo .... yet Diablo III sold over 10 million faster than anything else... it was insanely successful in that department. too bad it failed at gameplay/core mechanics... which is another story entirely.

There may never be another mmo that has 14 million subscribers you maybe correct, but that isn't the only thing to BEAT... quality, critic reviews ... and well, something actually taking over CURRENT WoW is enough to beat.

but sadly, free2play easy mode games that kids buy in flocks are the future. nobody is going to make a sub based super awesome ultima online in modern glorius graphics with an enphasis on play driven worlds like EVE ... only fun and in a fantasy setting.

just like leage of legends remains ridiculously more popular than anything else despite its friggin engine being a pile of w*ank it takes forever to load, its so far behind DoTA in features for "quality of life" and "compeition" /.. ye t"omg its free, all the female characters look like super models and asian anime acharacters" "and you can level up! SOO COOL".

These are the flagship genres of PC gaming... I'm starting to see it as a major rut.