what makes oblivion so great (please, no oblivion bashing on this thread)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
i'm wondering why people like olivion. i played it about 10 hours, and i can't seem to get into it. the action isn't that fun, and there's hardly any rpg involved, and the characters that i meet seem bland. so why do people like oblivion? i don't mean to hate on oblivion, but i'm just looking for some discussion and opinions on this matter. please, no oblivion bashing (and yes, i realize i did some of that above :P).
Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts

i'm wondering why people like olivion. i played it about 10 hours, and i can't seem to get into it. the action isn't that fun, and there's hardly any rpg involved, and the characters that i meet seem bland. so why do people like oblivion? i don't mean to hate on oblivion, but i'm just looking for some discussion and opinions on this matter. please, no oblivion bashing (and yes, i realize i did some of that above :P).fireandcloud

lol dude i feel the same way too, ive played it for like 2 days or more i guess and i couldn't get into it, i dont know why to be honest but to me its a boring game and for others its an awesome game, well its just my opinion but meh the game sucks for me... not bashing just my opinion.

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
Morrowinds momentum.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

It conveys the beauty of nature in a way no game had before and no game but Crysis has since.

The game environment is huge.

Patrick Stewart is hot.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I would be lying if I said that I did not enjoy anything in the game (I did spend at least 40 hours playing it), but I had the same bad taste in my mouth after I was finished. The gameplay felt bland, a lot of the characters were boring, the story wasn't exciting, and the dialogue wasn't anything special at all. I guess it was the large environment that kept me playing for so many hours, I don't know. Maybe it was the fancy graphics.
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

It conveys the beauty of nature in a way no game had before and no game but Crysis has since.

Patrick Stewart is hot.

fatshodan

Sean Bean is hotter.:P

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

Patrick Stewart is hot.

shalashaska88

Sean Bean is indeed hot, but hotter? Come on man! Patrick is just... mmmm. He only has to say Earl Grey - hot, and I totally lose it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

I managed to finish the game but by the end i'll be honest when i say i was glad to finally put it on the shelf. So much of the game is repetitive and while the enviroment is HUGE! it really becomes a pain to travel across, even the fast travel isn't that useful until you've covered about 2/3 of the continent.

That being said it was a good looking game and as mentioned already the enviroment was large and full of interesting things to investigate, plus those oblivion gates looked awesome. Pity that after the third or fourth time you go into one its pretty much exactly the same.

Strifebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Strifebringer
Member since 2007 • 781 Posts

I loved this game.

I honestly enjoyed the main story, but the funnest parts for me were the guilds. The Dark Brother and the Thieves Guild were probably my favorites. The Daedra Shrine quests are also a blast.

The environment is beautiful and some of the monsters are awesome! I just ran around for hours.

I agree that the fighting gets old, but I try to take advantage of all the aspects of the fight. (Magic, Enchanted weps, Blunt and Sword.) But I hated the bow to be honest.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
[QUOTE="shalashaska88"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

Patrick Stewart is hot.

fatshodan

Sean Bean is indeed hot, but hotter? Come on man! Patrick is just... mmmm. He only has to say Earl Grey - hot, and I totally lose it.

Indeed!

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I'll sum up why it is my third favorite game of all time to the best of my ability. Let's see... This is going to be difficult. I haven't played the game in quite a long time now, and there are a lot of reasons I loved it.

I love the open world, for one thing. Just love it. It's honestly the first game I ever played with a totally free-roam concept, with a world that spans some quite impressive distances. And the world is filled out with plenty of landmarks, wildlife and dangers, little touches like the dozens of varieties of plants that you can harvest from, hundreds of characters (or over a thousand, if you have all the plug-ins and the expansion).

I actually like all the different characters a lot. The cities are alive with plenty of people all around, and throughout the game, the amount of people you can talk to with something of substance to say to you is outstanding. People often complain about how most of the characters lacked personality, and while I understand what they're getting at, I felt they were all distinguished from each other enough for it to feel like a ton of people in a large world with their own things going on in their lives, their own characteristics, their own things to say to me much of the time. The lack of exaggerated or emphasized personalities isn't something that detracts from a game for me.

People also complain about the stupid conversations, but I love 'em, they make for some great laughs. :P Normally, ridiculous behavior such as you often see from the NPC's in Oblivion is something that would detract from a game for me, but Oblivion is a game where it's easy to not take things seriously all the time. Somehow, silly conversations, floaty physics, forest watchmen shooting arrows at each other for no apparent reason... it's all just ways the game provides entertainment for me.

The music is outstanding and perfectly fits the game's feel. It goes hand in hand with the open world just right. Never in a game before Oblivion have I looked at a sunset behind a monolithic city from a cliff I traveled to manually and become absorbed into the beauty of it and the perfectly entertwined beauty of the music. I feel, in that moment, like I'm actually standing there in that world, looking at the wondrous Imperial City from far, far away as I lean on the old wooden fence, with the music being an expression of my emotion in that moment.

Quests upon quests upon quests upon quests... And I thought all of them were enjoyable to partake in, and some were a blast. The main story arc could have been much better, make no mistake, but like I said, it's easy to not take things seriously in Oblivion for me, and it somehow never really gets to me. I'm too busy being enthralled in the world and all the things there are to do to care, really.

The game makes me laugh all the time. I've already mentioned some of the things that are funny. But even just simple things that aren't always meant to be humorous make me laugh. Sometimes I laugh just when I kill an enemy and he falls in a certain way, or he shouts a certain battle cry, or something rather normal happens. It reminds me of Crysis, in this respect. I grab a Korean soldier and toss him into one of his buddies; I laugh. I flip a humvee and send it tumbling over a bunch of NK's; I laugh. A NK does one of their "AAAAGGGHHH!!!" battle screams (or whatever they are); I laugh. I don't know how to explain it. It's one of those things where the event is so entertaining, I laugh in both glee and humor, even if it wasn't a humorous event necessarily. Oblivion has many of these kinds of moments for me.

I actually like the combat, believe it or not. It could have been better, sure, but I somehow don't ever get annoyed by the repetitive nature of it. It's satisfying to me in the same way that FEAR's repetitious gunplay is consistently satisfying.

There's more, and I ultimately feel like I've explained why I like the game inadequately, but I've spent enough time on this. Someday I'll review the game (a long time from now), and then you'll know all the reasons I utterly love Oblivion. :P

EDIT - By the way, I just saw your mudcrab video on Youtube. Ever seen a bandit go crazy against a couple mudcrabs on the beach, shouting challenges and taunts at it? ****ing hilarious. Ever seen a bandit get killed by a bunch of mudcrabs mobbing him just after he shouted challenges and taunts at them (willl only happen toward the beginning of the game when bandits' levels are low)? ****ING HILARIOUSER.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

thanks for your indepth explanation, jp! i appreciate it. my goal is to finish the game one of these days, so i'll keep what you wrote in mind as i play.

it's interesting that you mentioned the side quests, because some people have used that as an example of why they don't like the game (side quests being the 'go for' variety). one of the reasons i'm loving mass effect is the side quests; some have said that the side quests in mass effect are boring and repetitive, but i find all of them really fun (especially the stories behind each one). i guess in such matters it's all about personal taste... :)

i'm looking forward to your review of the game, even if it comes years and years from now. :P

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

i'm wondering why people like olivion. i played it about 10 hours, and i can't seem to get into it. the action isn't that fun, and there's hardly any rpg involved, and the characters that i meet seem bland. so why do people like oblivion? i don't mean to hate on oblivion, but i'm just looking for some discussion and opinions on this matter. please, no oblivion bashing (and yes, i realize i did some of that above :P).fireandcloud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED51l-uPOw4&feature=related

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Some very great mods. Unfortunately the mods weren't enough to compel me to finish the game.
nht12101990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nht12101990
Member since 2005 • 1615 Posts

I'll sum up why it is my third favorite game of all time to the best of my ability. Let's see... This is going to be difficult. I haven't played the game in quite a long time now, and there are a lot of reasons I loved it.

I love the open world, for one thing. Just love it. It's honestly the first game I ever played with a totally free-roam concept, with a world that spans some quite impressive distances. And the world is filled out with plenty of landmarks, wildlife and dangers, little touches like the dozens of varieties of plants that you can harvest from, hundreds of characters (or over a thousand, if you have all the plug-ins and the expansion).

I actually like all the different characters a lot. The cities are alive with plenty of people all around, and throughout the game, the amount of people you can talk to with something of substance to say to you is outstanding. People often complain about how most of the characters lacked personality, and while I understand what they're getting at, I felt they were all distinguished from each other enough for it to feel like a ton of people in a large world with their own things going on in their lives, their own characteristics, their own things to say to me much of the time. The lack of exaggerated or emphasized personalities isn't something that detracts from a game for me.

People also complain about the stupid conversations, but I love 'em, they make for some great laughs. :P Normally, ridiculous behavior such as you often see from the NPC's in Oblivion is something that would detract from a game for me, but Oblivion is a game where it's easy to not take things seriously all the time. Somehow, silly conversations, floaty physics, forest watchmen shooting arrows at each other for no apparent reason... it's all just ways the game provides entertainment for me.

The music is outstanding and perfectly fits the game's feel. It goes hand in hand with the open world just right. Never in a game before Oblivion have I looked at a sunset behind a monolithic city from a cliff I traveled to manually and become absorbed into the beauty of it and the perfectly entertwined beauty of the music. I feel, in that moment, like I'm actually standing there in that world, looking at the wondrous Imperial City from far, far away as I lean on the old wooden fence, with the music being an expression of my emotion in that moment.

Quests upon quests upon quests upon quests... And I thought all of them were enjoyable to partake in, and some were a blast. The main story arc could have been much better, make no mistake, but like I said, it's easy to not take things seriously in Oblivion for me, and it somehow never really gets to me. I'm too busy being enthralled in the world and all the things there are to do to care, really.

The game makes me laugh all the time. I've already mentioned some of the things that are funny. But even just simple things that aren't always meant to be humorous make me laugh. Sometimes I laugh just when I kill an enemy and he falls in a certain way, or he shouts a certain battle cry, or something rather normal happens. It reminds me of Crysis, in this respect. I grab a Korean soldier and toss him into one of his buddies; I laugh. I flip a humvee and send it tumbling over a bunch of NK's; I laugh. A NK does one of their "AAAAGGGHHH!!!" battle screams (or whatever they are); I laugh. I don't know how to explain it. It's one of those things where the event is so entertaining, I laugh in both glee and humor, even if it wasn't a humorous event necessarily. Oblivion has many of these kinds of moments for me.

I actually like the combat, believe it or not. It could have been better, sure, but I somehow don't ever get annoyed by the repetitive nature of it. It's satisfying to me in the same way that FEAR's repetitious gunplay is consistently satisfying.

There's more, and I ultimately feel like I've explained why I like the game inadequately, but I've spent enough time on this. Someday I'll review the game (a long time from now), and then you'll know all the reasons I utterly love Oblivion. :P

EDIT - By the way, I just saw your mudcrab video on Youtube. Ever seen a bandit go crazy against a couple mudcrabs on the beach, shouting challenges and taunts at it? ****ing hilarious. Ever seen a bandit get killed by a bunch of mudcrabs mobbing him just after he shouted challenges and taunts at them (willl only happen toward the beginning of the game when bandits' levels are low)? ****ING HILARIOUSER.

JP_Russell

Can somebody actually read this and then summarize it for us?

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

I consider Oblivion to be a game that is quite good a lot of of things, but is a master of none. I found it very hard to be bored when playing Oblivion; if I ever got fed up with doing one particular thing in the game, there were hundereds of other things I could do instead.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

nht12101990

He understood why people did not like it, but he found it very entertaining.(and somehow funny)

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
[QUOTE="nht12101990"][QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Lonelynight

He understood why people did not like it, but he found it very entertaining.(and somehow funny)

And a great post, highlight WHY and HOW the game can be enjoyed. If you go in looking for a deep RPG with a story that just sucks you in... YOu will be disappointed. IF you go in jsut to.. game, you'll like it. The stupid AI does provide a lot of laughs, I agree :lol: And the troll under the bridge, I mean.. It's just epic.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]i'm wondering why people like olivion. i played it about 10 hours, and i can't seem to get into it. the action isn't that fun, and there's hardly any rpg involved, and the characters that i meet seem bland. so why do people like oblivion? i don't mean to hate on oblivion, but i'm just looking for some discussion and opinions on this matter. please, no oblivion bashing (and yes, i realize i did some of that above :P).OoSuperMarioO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED51l-uPOw4&feature=related

effing brilliant, it's like watching Police Academy again, only even dumber. :D

johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts

so many quest to do

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts
JP_Russel i guess has really made his point clear.. But i never liked Oblivion as i expected an RPG and never experinced any kind of role playing.. BTW i have played only 15 hrs of the game and m pretty sure i wont be installing that game again..
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
You are lucky that you figured that out only 10 hours into the game, it took me over 150 hours. I don't know how I was able to play the game for that long without realising that I wasn't really enjoying it but whatever. I want to try to get back into Morrowind and at least beat the main quest.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

Well... I played this game for over 200hrs or something on the 360.

I guess I just found it relaxing to play.

It's simple fun.

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
I had tried to get into oblivion a bunch aof times and never could, however just a couple weeks ago I played it and had a good time. I ended up putting about 60 hours into it, and than all of a sudden it got boring again. I don't know why it got good, and why it got bad again. It is a very pretty game, the most fun I've had in oblivion is walking around looking at the world. There always comes a time in oblivion (for me) when it all seems pointless. So I would have to say that the fun of oblivion for me is purely graphic.