What is the best/safest way to clean a HD plasma screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vic-Ferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vic-Ferrari
Member since 2009 • 1637 Posts

Can I just use some window cleaner and a paper towel? Is it any different than a SDTV screen?

snackdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 snackdaddy
Member since 2006 • 2122 Posts

Can I just use some window cleaner and a paper towel? Is it any different than a SDTV screen?

Vic-Ferrari

DO NOT USE WINDOW CLEANER AND A PAPER TOWEL! There are abrasives in the window cleaner and on the paper towel. Not to mention the window cleaner can seep into the edges of the screen and cause serious damage.

Check the manual. It may recommend a particular product or method that is best suited for your particular TV.

Turn off the plasma display before cleaning it. Doing this is not necessary, but it's preferred, especially if you're going to use a cleaning solution spray. Since Plasma TVs use more power than and generate more heat than LCD TVs, it is best to turn it off AND allow ample time for the unit to cool to the touch before attempting to clean the screen. Failure to do this may cause your cleaning solution to evaporate before it has had enough time to remove any dust, dirt, or contaminants on your screen. Some sources suggest unplugging the TV.

Use a soft, lint-free cloth to remove fingerprints and smudges. Avoid wood-based products (paper towels, toilet paper, tissues) because they can scratch the screen. If stubborn dirty spots persist, go to the next step. However, be advised that some manufacturers, such as Pioneer, recommend no liquid at all on the front of their plasmas, lest it seep into the plasma display.

If you must use a liquid, spray-- a minimal amount of--the cleaning solution on the soft cloth, not on the screen. If the moistened cloth is not cleaning sufficiently, you can spray additional SMALL amounts on the cloth. At no time do you want the cloth wet to the point where the solution drips or runs down the screen! See previous point for the reason why. Use either just distilled water or non-ammonia or alcohol-based window cleaner. Ammonia and alcohol are substances which will eventually cloud any plastic with microscopic "crazing," with the effect of hazing and dimming the displayed image. After wiping the screen gently, follow up with a dry cloth.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
use micro fiber cloth and water
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i was curious about this myself. would water not leave streaks?

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mike4realz

z4twenny
no
snackdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 snackdaddy
Member since 2006 • 2122 Posts

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

mike4realz

no

Just dampen the rag, dont let it drip.

Vic-Ferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vic-Ferrari
Member since 2009 • 1637 Posts
Anyone know what kind of stores sell micro fiber cloths? Would a store like Best Buy or Target sell them?
snowren24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 snowren24
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts

I know that Target does. They are in the car wash section actually. I just make sure to keep the TV and car cloths separate :)

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mike4realz
Anyone know what kind of stores sell micro fiber cloths? Would a store like Best Buy or Target sell them?Vic-Ferrari
yeah best buy...any stores like walmart, kmart, sears...it's usually on their electronic section
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts
Wait the surface of Plasma TV is just a thick plate of GLASS. Why would you need a special cloth to clean GLASS? It's just GLASS.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mike4realz
[QUOTE="pimperjones"]Wait the surface of Plasma TV is just a thick plate of GLASS. Why would you need a special cloth to clean GLASS? It's just GLASS.

cuz regular cloths can leave scratch marks
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Use an E-Cloth and gently spray a little water on the cloth.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mike4realz

Use an E-Cloth and gently spray a little water on the cloth.

sukraj
whats an e-cloth?
OSJ-1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OSJ-1987
Member since 2008 • 205 Posts

Don't use just water. It will more than likely leave streaks. And don't use anything but a microfiber cloth. I use the small microfiber cloth that came with my iPod touch to wipe the screen with, and I use a 50/50 mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to clean it. Works perfectly every time.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
That's exactly what they say not to do........i bought the monster screen cleaner for $20.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Don't use just water. It will more than likely leave streaks. And don't use anything but a microfiber cloth. I use the small microfiber cloth that came with my iPod touch to wipe the screen with, and I use a 50/50 mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to clean it. Works perfectly every time.

OSJ-1987
Water doesn't leave streaks. Rubbing alcohol isn't necessary. I use a regular cloth that I dampen slightly and it doesn't leave a single solitary trace of streaks, you don't even need a microfiber cloth.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wait the surface of Plasma TV is just a thick plate of GLASS. Why would you need a special cloth to clean GLASS? It's just GLASS. pimperjones

You would think. Most are actually plastic, though.