What is the best programming language type for a beginner?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Xbox360gamer1
Member since 2005 • 8575 Posts

I am self-teaching myself programming since my schools program sucks.....All we really learn is some HTML, which I am already quite good at. Not to mention I can't take the class since my AP Biology tkae 2 extra periods a week for labs.

So I was thinking about C++.

What do you think?

Zaber123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Zaber123
Member since 2003 • 1159 Posts

If you're a beginner, definately go with Python. I learned Dr. Scheme (not my choice, garbage), then Python and it was fun and easy to grasp.

Heres some assignments and practice programs

Here's the online book

Good Luck

K_r_a_u_s_e_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 K_r_a_u_s_e_r
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts
Don't start with C, it's so god damn boring.

Give Visual Basic a try, it's pretty fun.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
C or Java.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
Well I started learning C++ and after making the first basic program I gave up because it was boooooring.
Munkyman587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Munkyman587
Member since 2003 • 2007 Posts
University of California starts teaching programming in Java... so, I assume it is a good place to start.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts
Java is pretty easy to learn, especially if you've played around with Javascript at all while working with HTML. Once you understand computer programming concepts and learn a language or two, learning other languages is a breeze. At that point, it's just a simple matter of becoming familiar with the syntax and capabilities of the language you're working with.
Munkyman587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Munkyman587
Member since 2003 • 2007 Posts

Java is pretty easy to learn, especially if you've played around with Javascript at all while working with HTML. Once you understand computer programming concepts and learn a language or two, learning other languages is a breeze. At that point, it's just a simple matter of becoming familiar with the syntax and capabilities of the language you're working with.JN_Fenrir

I agree, there are many similarities once you get the basics. Java has some good guides online, and places like frys sell cheap books with basic tutorials. Good luck = )

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
Just learn C++. It's the most useful, and other easier languages like Visual Basic are really limited in what you do. I've learned Java, C++, C, C#, PASCAL, and Python and the only one I have ever had to use for job requirements was C++ (and MATLAB, but I don't reccomend learning that, because it's mainly for data acquisition and management)
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
C it's all about C :P
whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#11 whgresiak
Member since 2005 • 1889 Posts
C++, PASCAL, CSS maybe?
varmint999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 varmint999
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Even though it's MS I'd try C# if your're starting out.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualcsharp/.

Fuzional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fuzional
Member since 2007 • 369 Posts
Visual Basic. Its pretty straight forward and easy to understand.
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
Start with C
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Visual Basic.
Avatar image for splintercell989
splintercell989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 splintercell989
Member since 2005 • 99 Posts
Dont start with C or any variant of C. These guys obviously dont know what they are talking about other then that they hear most games are programmed in a variant of C. First year university and high school courses are in Java not Javascricpt so I would learn that or instead Visual Basic.
Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
Start with C++. I think it's good language to learning algorithm, computer theory, object oriented. So you easy migrate to other language.
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts
QBASIC!!
domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domke13
Member since 2006 • 2891 Posts
Visual Basic FTW. Myself i started whit C#. Havent program a lot since than, but now i will go to computer school and will hopefully learn C++ and many others.
fourier404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fourier404
Member since 2006 • 515 Posts

Dont start with C or any variant of C. These guys obviously dont know what they are talking about other then that they hear most games are programmed in a variant of C. First year university and high school courses are in Java not Javascricpt so I would learn that or instead Visual Basic.splintercell989

Knowing both C# and Java, and having used both C and C++, I think I'm qualified enough to say that learning either C# or Java is about the same. Syntax is very similar, especially at lower levels. They are both completely object oriented, both run on a virtual machine, and they both have a nice large class library to work with. Dr. Scheme is actually a great way to learn the basics of computer science (I hear the first computer science course at MIT or Caltech is taught in Scheme), but it's a little too...abstract. If you really want to be a programmer, you have to be able to realize that the language you use is somewhat superficial, especially if they are in the same family.

If you're a kid who wants to be a programmer when he grows up (like me!), think about learning php or asp.NET. Web applications are just exploding these days, and you can make a nifty little website for your own personal use. I wanted to write a game, so I learned the basics of Direct3D, which is very easy to use with C#, thanks to the .NET framework and managed DirectX.

However, if you really are just going to be a hobbyist, it's a matter of personal preference. Visual Basic is easy to learn, but it's just sorta, well, basic. At least thats what I thought when I used it, but that was a long while ago.

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

[QUOTE="splintercell989"]Dont start with C or any variant of C. These guys obviously dont know what they are talking about other then that they hear most games are programmed in a variant of C. First year university and high school courses are in Java not Javascricpt so I would learn that or instead Visual Basic.fourier404

Knowing both C# and Java, and having used both C and C++, I think I'm qualified enough to say that learning either C# or Java is about the same. Syntax is very similar, especially at lower levels. They are both completely object oriented, both run on a virtual machine, and they both have a nice large class library to work with. Dr. Scheme is actually a great way to learn the basics of computer science (I hear the first computer science course at MIT or Caltech is taught in Scheme), but it's a little too...abstract. If you really want to be a programmer, you have to be able to realize that the language you use is somewhat superficial, especially if they are in the same family.

If you're a kid who wants to be a programmer when he grows up (like me!), think about learning php or asp.NET. Web applications are just exploding these days, and you can make a nifty little website for your own personal use. I wanted to write a game, so I learned the basics of Direct3D, which is very easy to use with C#, thanks to the .NET framework and managed DirectX.

However, if you really are just going to be a hobbyist, it's a matter of personal preference. Visual Basic is easy to learn, but it's just sorta, well, basic. At least thats what I thought when I used it, but that was a long while ago.

Visual Studio .Net has added a lot of functionality to VB. ESSENTIALLY (before you flame me, notice I capitalized the word essentially to draw emphasis to it) VB and all flavors of C have the same capabilities, just different syntax. Visual Studio reminds of Unix and the different shells...know what I mean?

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Xbox360gamer1

I am going to try a bunch.

Sun's SDK is the best for java?

What about C++....What is the best compiler?......MS 2008's beta?

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xbox360gamer1
What is the best C++ compiler?
Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xbox360gamer1

I am was trying Java but I download Java SDK, but something is wrong where the ASCII in Wordpad isn't registering as java and not to mention Command Prompt can't even find java.

I look under C:\java....but it isn't there.

PCgamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PCgamerX
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

My first programming language was Scheme (a dialect of Lisp), which I learned in the introductory computer science class at Caltech. The language was well-suited to the rather abstract content of that course, but I don't think it's a very good first language (our instructor told us that LISP actually stands for "Lots of Irritatting Stupid Parentheses," or something like that).

I taught myself BASIC, Python, and some C++, and studied some additional C++ and Java in school. C++ is vary widely used, so it's definitely a good language to pick up at some point. I think Java might be a good language to start out with, though, because it helps you to grasp object-oriented programming right from the start. The syntax is a bit strange at first, but no stranger than C++.

I think it really depends on what sort of programming you are interested in, though. As the poster above mentions, if you are interested in web programming, there are a bunch of special languages for that sort of thing.

By the way, if you are looking for some informative computer/programming books, check out the O'Reilly series. They are really good.

PCgamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PCgamerX
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

Well, you can use separate editors/compilers, but it is probably more handy if you use an IDE (integrated development environment), which allows to edit, compile, and run programs, all in one application.

For C++, I would recommend Dev-C++. For Java, you might try BlueJ. BlueJ is really good for learning Java-- it's what we used in my intro to object-oriented programming course. Both of these IDE's are 100% free for download-- just google them and get the latest version. Note that with BlueJ you may also have to go to the Sun website and get the latest version of Java.

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Xbox360gamer1

The IME brings compiles....say "hello world" in command prompt ,but command promp dissappears in the blink of an eye.