what is a manageable budget for playing magic online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

What is a manageable budget for playing magic online? For a guy like me who is learning and losing each draft game.

So far I played 5 drafts and lost all of them. I figure I will stop there,because I see each set as a $60 video game. Theres 3 sets in a block a year so I will try to limit my spending to $180 in a year.

Now, when I learn how to win drafts I would almost be playing for free. Thats where I want to work up to.

I got my pell grant and a fortune cookie is the only thing that made me stop going further with my spending.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I would like to know the same thing. I've tried Magic The Gathering Online a few times...but the client is confusing.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I would like to know the same thing. I've tried Magic The Gathering Online a few times...but the client is confusing.FelipeInside
Yeah theres a beta for a new version of the client. Hope it will be much easier to do stuff.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Depends on how far you want to go with the game, and how involved you want to get. I'm not sure about MtG Online, but my friends and I used to play IRL (actually, I'm switching to online soon... I don't have time to schedule meetings, etc.) and some of us would spend upwards to $300 on a deck for tournaments. It all depends on how far you want to go. Do you want to be winning tournaments? Just play casually? A mix of both?
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaptainAhab13
That said, I'd start out cheap. ;) Just to get a feel for the colors and the game itself.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Depends on how far you want to go with the game, and how involved you want to get. I'm not sure about MtG Online, but my friends and I used to play IRL (actually, I'm switching to online soon... I don't have time to schedule meetings, etc.) and some of us would spend upwards to $300 on a deck for tournaments. It all depends on how far you want to go. Do you want to be winning tournaments? Just play casually? A mix of both?

What's IRL?
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Depends on how far you want to go with the game, and how involved you want to get. I'm not sure about MtG Online, but my friends and I used to play IRL (actually, I'm switching to online soon... I don't have time to schedule meetings, etc.) and some of us would spend upwards to $300 on a deck for tournaments. It all depends on how far you want to go. Do you want to be winning tournaments? Just play casually? A mix of both?

What's IRL?

In Real Life
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

You can cut it down to $0 a month if you just play other games.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Dang, I never knew these games costed so much money to play :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

xLittlekillx
You still don't get it, do you? Who are you to tell people what they can and cannot play? Do you even know what Magic is?
Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

I actually stopped playing because of the cost. I guess the main appeal, at least for me, was to collect all of the cards I would need for standard play. You could buy them individually but drafting is much more fun. I have been on runs where I would win 3 in a row, and then use those winnings to draft again, lose all of those, and spend another 16 dollars for another draft pack. You WILL sink money into the game, and 180 dollars a year might not get you enough drafts to collect the required cards you would need. If you want to just play casually you could set aside enough for a draft every week/month, or just look at some of the cheaper decks (I was able to build an affinity deck for about 30 dollars) or go into one of the lobbys that only allow common cards, or premade decks.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

I actually stopped playing because of the cost. I guess the main appeal, at least for me, was to collect all of the cards I would need for standard play. You could buy them individually but drafting is much more fun. I have been on runs where I would win 3 in a row, and then use those winnings to draft again, lose all of those, and spend another 16 dollars for another draft pack. You WILL sink money into the game, and 180 dollars a year might not get you enough drafts to collect the required cards you would need. If you want to just play casually you could set aside enough for a draft every week/month, or just look at some of the cheaper decks (I was able to build an affinity deck for about 30 dollars) or go into one of the lobbys that only allow common cards, or premade decks.

jacobhazard1704
Whats a draft?
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

You can play for free if you are good. I don't remember where I read, but some guy's blog he said he used to play Magic Online. There was an initial investment to get a good set of decks, but after that he had a good enough win rate to get new cards completely by playing. Of course that's not for everyone, so there are probably no stakes rooms where you can just play for fun. That's just like the game in real life too. You can buy a starter deck and a bunch of boosters to fill it out or just buy singles. Singles cost a lot more per card, but you get exactly what you want. It depends on the person what they want. Boosters are better for collectors. Singles are better for people that just want to play. I'm not sure if you can buy singles in Magic Online. I always went to card shops to buy singles since Wizards did not sell them. (they make more money with the random chance booster packs)

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Depends on what you want to do. I've done drafts before. Fun stuff, but yes somewhat pricey.

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

[QUOTE="jacobhazard1704"]

FelipeInside

Whats a draft?

Everyone starts out with 3 booster packs. Everyone opens one pack, picks one card, and then when everyones done you pass the remaining cards to the left. Once those packs are gone the process is repeated with the scond pack passing to the right, and finally pass back to the left again with the third pack. Once everyone has picked you build a deck with the cards that you have and then play a tournament. Winner wins 3 or 4 packs, I can't remember.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Ive always wanted to get into MTG online but was too afraid of what I would have to spend to be competitive.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CaptainAhab13
Ive always wanted to get into MTG online but was too afraid of what I would have to spend to be competitive. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Concerning price, I'd say, to be competitive: Yu-Gi-Oh>MtG>Pokemon>L5R (at least, these are the 4 most popular card games, as far as I can tell). Unfortunately, yes -- these games can become pricey as you get more into them, unless you play strictly casually.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xLittlekillx

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

FelipeInside

You still don't get it, do you? Who are you to tell people what they can and cannot play? Do you even know what Magic is?

I have no idea why you're so angry at me.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

xLittlekillx

Cause you bash everything that you don't like but other people do.

Learn to respect other people's taste.

I'm not angry AT you, your attitude annoys me sometimes.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Holy ****. I didn't know that game costs so much to play. I was actually thinking about it sometime last year when I got an itch to play a TCG.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xLittlekillx

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] You still don't get it, do you? Who are you to tell people what they can and cannot play? Do you even know what Magic is?FelipeInside

Huh? I just suggested a way for him to manage his budget.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

xLittlekillx

No, you told him NOT to play that game cause it costs money. He wasn't asking that. The same way you ask people not to play SWTOR cause it's crap.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xLittlekillx

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

No, you told him NOT to play that game cause it costs money. He wasn't asking that. The same way you ask people not to play SWTOR cause it's crap.

What does swtor being crap have to do with magic the gathering?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

xLittlekillx

What does swtor being crap have to do with magic the gathering?

Read my post again. If not forget it.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CaptainAhab13
Holy ****. I didn't know that game costs so much to play. I was actually thinking about it sometime last year when I got an itch to play a TCG. flipin_jackass
MtG makes games like Yu-Gi-Oh look cheap. A world-class YGO deck costs (or at least it did a few months ago) over $1000. I've seen world-class MtG decks for a few hundred. But honestly, these games don't *have* to be this expensive; just depends on how you want to play. :) Then again, I feel personally like YGO is just a ripoff in comparison to games like MtG.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"] A world-class YGO deck costs (or at least it did a few months ago) over $1000. I've seen world-class MtG decks for a few hundred.

LOL. That's hardcore. I suppose it's better than spending your money on drugs or something.... I guess...