What Can Make Half Life 2: Episode Three A Success?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Basically came across this idea by conversing with buds on Steam about what can be implemented into Half Life 2 Episode 3 to make it a success. Half Life 2 in addition to the episodic sequels are some of my favorite titles on PC and I'm certain some of you may share the same. At the core, what do you buds think can be essential to make Episode 3 a success?

To start I'll list a few to jumpstart some ideas:

-Improved Source Engine

-More great depth in knowing/understanding Alyx Vance

-More scenarios with Dog

-Continuous support with the Gravity Gun in solving problems to navigate the environments.

Feel free to comment buds...

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OoSuperMarioO

Gordon Freeman. The journey awaits...

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I can't even begin to explain how much I'm sick of Alyx. She's cool to fight with, but beyond that, I wouldn't mind leaving her in Episode 3. However, I really want to know more about the G-Man's purpose in the story, and to see Gordon's effect on Earth besides just around City 17.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

An awesome story, More info and stuff about Alyx and of course some nice scenary :)

Also some back story to other characters would be cool.

miladesn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 miladesn2
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
I just want an epic, emotional and memorable ending (a few deaths, large scale war, some awesome set pieces will do it). The ending is very important to me in this episode.
artistry_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 artistry_
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

I feel if they can incorporate a solid Aperture Science scenario into the mix with the ability to use the portal gun, and still give you a modified gravity gun that is usefull as a weapon .. I would be most pleased.

Would definately love more Alyx Vance exploration, and would like an oppurtunity to bring back to life her father.

Most importantly I want an ending that wraps everything up real nice .. i want to know we were victorious over the fascist element that invaded our world with the coming mishap at Black Mesa.

To be the "Free" Man !!

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
To make it wildly successful all they have to do is release it. :D
Vlaimir_Lem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Vlaimir_Lem86
Member since 2006 • 439 Posts

To make it wildly successful all they have to do is release it. :DLocke562

Agreed

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Portal gun.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Got to agree with the portal gun. If they can create levels that require the use of both the gravity and portal guns, it could take gaming yet again to a whole new level. The question is, can Valve pull it off? Of will they take the easy way out, and just make episode III a linear conclusion with more of the same?

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

the valve ceo said something about he is wondering if they should push out hl2 ep 3 with a new counterstrike on that engine, or wait a few more years to make a new engine with an all new counterstrike and all new half life game and in the mean time push out hl2 ep 3 with nothing really new

taker_1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 taker_1192
Member since 2004 • 612 Posts

I know that there has been a lot of talk from fans who believe that they will incorporate the Portal Gun into the next game, but... after recently beating the all the games... I'm starting to doubt it. I mean... knowing Valve they will probably do something that we won't expect. Sure it would be nice to have both the 'Half-Life' and 'Portal' games come together in a way (which I'm sure it will judging by the end of the second episode) but having the Portal Gun wouldn't have that "awe" effect on a player IMO. Maybe we could get a modified Portal Gun but... I think it would be kinda lame to have the same Portal Gun from 'Portal' (don't get me wrong... it's actually one of my favorite Valve games).

Umm as for making it a success... I guess varied environments/ gameplay, that's something that Valve already does with this series. I would like more memorable/ bigger puzzles like the broken bridge in HL2: E2. I'm not expecting any changes to be made to the engine other than it being slightly modified. As for weapons... they're fine, but if there are any additions that would be nice. I really liked that there were new enemies in E2 so... more of that. A new vehicle could be interesting... perhaps a helicopter or something? Maybe Gordon/ Alyx manage to take down one of the Combine airships/ dropships (not sure which is correct) but yeahh I would like a new vehicle.

The thing that they really have to nail with this episode is the story. I'm really looking forward to how they're going to tie 'Half-Life' and 'Portal' together. I also want some more questions to be answered. And definitely a memorable ending that will keep fans satisfied until HL3.

godofwar2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 godofwar2610
Member since 2008 • 577 Posts

How about a whole new engine, as great as the source engine is in how modifiable it is, there needs to be a new engine used by Valve.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I don't think the portal gun would be good in a half life game. I would love just more of the same with a little bit more info on Alyx.

Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Papitar
Member since 2008 • 2377 Posts

I think there has to be the portal gun, even for a short while. I mean, there are levels on the Aperture Science boat!

Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

[QUOTE="Locke562"]To make it wildly successful all they have to do is release it. :DVlaimir_Lem86

Agreed

Thirded!

TheFragcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 TheFragcat
Member since 2008 • 2466 Posts

Just make it as good as episode 2 & i'll be happy.

Oh, & get rid of Alyx. When Freeman has an epic fight on his hands she 'disappears' leaving you to do all the hard work.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OoSuperMarioO

Oh, & get rid of Alyx. When Freeman has an epic fight on his hands she 'disappears' leaving you to do all the hard work.

TheFragcat

Alyx adds so much to the universe bud. Greatly admire the company of Alyx, granted it's not like she gets in the way to make the gameplay frustrating.

Tommoz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Tommoz0r
Member since 2008 • 128 Posts

Basically came across this idea by conversing with buds on Steam about what can be implemented into Half Life 2 Episode 3 to make it a success. Half Life 2 in addition to the episodic sequels are some of my favorite titles on PC and I'm certain some of you may share the same. At the core, what do you buds think can be essential to make Episode 3 a success?

To start I'll list a few to jumpstart some ideas:

-Improved Source Engine

-More great depth in knowing/understanding Alyx Vance

-More scenarios with Dog

-Continuous support with the Gravity Gun in solving problems to navigate the environments.

Feel free to comment buds...

OoSuperMarioO

I totally hear you on that one mate, there are many things people would like to see more of, and questions to be answered. It's been a few months since i went through the game (Been on good ol' TF2 and CSS) but i'd like to know more of what the G-mans intentions are, he seems to be the character we know least about.

I also agree with you on Alyx, shes Gordons closest ally yet i could speak for us all in saying we want to know more about her/understanding her. A new source engine would be great, although the one so far has been a treat to play on, i wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade or what not.

And what about Dog? Well we all want to see more of Dog! In all honesty, he's probably one of my favourite characters ever to be introduced into a video game. And i also probably speak for everyone when i say how much i love watching him tear to pieces a Strider, or even taking out a group of combine soldiers and an APC within seconds, so more sequences with Dog would be fantastic.

Another one or two enemies i'd like to see in the game - such as combine assassins, and the crab synths and mortar synths that you only see towards the end of the game being shipped out of the citadel.

And also like others have said, aemotional and memorable ending. But not to mention an action packed story to make the whole game seem like a grand finale.

TPJ McGinnes.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I just want them to round off this particular story arc and go out with a bang. Episode 2 was great, so just build on that and tie up any loose ends. I'm not so concerned about seeing an updated Source engine this time around - save that for the next major release.

Speaking of which, I think Half-Life 3 should do another fast forward and offer a new setting and characters (while bringing back a few old favourites).

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I hope they do something pretty radical and different...because honestly the formula is getting a bit old. Oh and hope they tie up the story already, been playing HL for years now and there are so many things we have no idea about. I'm dreaming though, because Valve would never conclude the story as that would end their money train.
iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

hmmm hard decision here... i say more of a journey into the unknown, make us ask more question in the end of episode 3

Solidus171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Solidus171
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

After episode 2...Alyx must change for the worse. She's been very nice and calm up to this point, but she must have reached her breaking point by now. It would be incredibly interesting to see her lose it in combat and go beserk, clubbing enemies to death in rage out of sheer revenge.

So far the "love" affair has been fairly fruitless and the story hasn't hit us hard enough...to see Alyx degrade will hit us gamers in the heart where it hurts us the most - and elevate the Half Life franchise toeven greater heights, even morethan Bioshock's psychological horror.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Cryengine 2 !!! :D, just being silly here

flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts

1.Kill off Alyx.

2.Much more combine and zombies (better zombies even).

3.Sensible coop, not coop thrown in.

Thanks pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head w/o changing the engine and crap.

BlackFlagX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BlackFlagX
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts

Success? No puzzles, no difficulty, naked Alyx, some cool monsters, cry engine, achievments, autoaiming, portal gun which totally unappropriate to hl universe, manga robocop killing godzilla babe with big **** wake up for ffs!

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFragcat"]

OoSuperMarioO

Alyx adds so much to the universe bud. Greatly admire the company of Alyx, granted it's not like she gets in the way to make the gameplay frustrating.

Yeah, she's pretty much the heart and soul of Half-Life 2.
Without her, you'd just be a nameless mute mowing down hordes of aliens - which worked 10 years ago, but I think people need something more engaging nowadays.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
I wanna see Alyx naked...
Amigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Amigro
Member since 2003 • 737 Posts

I just want more walkers. I loved the ending to Episode 2 and the epic battle between all the walkers, but I thought the first encounter with them in the original HL2 was more entertaining for some reason. I want them to bring that back....

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

Length, more action, bigger scale. Update the source engine, phyics and graphics wise. Co-Op would be amazing, possibly something similar to Left 4 Dead.

Make a Counter Strike:2 to release with it.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

i cant belive people are saying they dont want alyx. she was brilliant. astounding character development imo

what i would love in ep.3 is a bit more story for the amount of hours you put in. i love hl2 so far, but one (i) just get the feeling that im only being shown a tiny portion of the story, theres no backstory at all, and im itching to hear more and see more of it and the world they live in. i still dont even get the storyline properly, how the combine came to be and stuff, but hopefully that will be solved by black mesa: source.

crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 crazyfist36
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

[QUOTE="TheFragcat"]

Planeforger

Without her, you'd just be a nameless mute mowing down hordes of aliens - which worked 10 years ago, but I think people need something more engaging nowadays.

if you want more engagement how about a protagonist who talks! seriosuly the whole mute scientist thing is getting lame. its great to see the world and the different people but there isn't any interaction when the hero doesn't do the most basic form of interaction. what would have been great would be to see how this whole hero/messiah idea has taken its toll on Gordon with people he cares about dying/getting hurt. other than the basic advancement of the Source engine,new weapons,new enemies,concluing the story arc,sandbox-ish gameplay similar to Crysis would all be welcome additions.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]Alyx adds so much to the universe bud. Greatly admire the company of Alyx, granted it's not like she gets in the way to make the gameplay frustrating.

crazyfist36

if you want more engagement how about a protagonist who talks! seriosuly the whole mute scientist thing is getting lame. its great to see the world and the different people but there isn't any interaction when the hero doesn't do the most basic form of interaction. what would have been great would be to see how this whole hero/messiah idea has taken its toll on Gordon with people he cares about dying/getting hurt. other than the basic advancement of the Source engine,new weapons,new enemies,concluing the story arc,sandbox-ish gameplay similar to Crysis would all be welcome additions.

The WHOLE point of HL is that Gordon does not spweak. The game would be bad if he spoke.

IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 IMaBIOHAZARD
Member since 2008 • 1464 Posts

After episode 2...Alyx must change for the worse. She's been very nice and calm up to this point, but she must have reached her breaking point by now. It would be incredibly interesting to see her lose it in combat and go beserk, clubbing enemies to death in rage out of sheer revenge.

So far the "love" affair has been fairly fruitless and the story hasn't hit us hard enough...to see Alyx degrade will hit us gamers in the heart where it hurts us the most - and elevate the Half Life franchise toeven greater heights, even morethan Bioshock's psychological horror.

Solidus171
that would pretty much be one of the awesomest moments in gaming, if Valve could pull it off with their perfect touch of cinematic flair and storytelling perfection. I'd love to see this happen, although it wouldn't lessen the experience if they didn't put it in - they'd just fill the void with something just as awsum :P