What are your favorite headphones?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] After you eventually upgrade one day, you will not like them anymore. The difference between my old X11's and my Astro A40's are like night and day.Chris_53

They are both horrible.  The difference between an Astro "gaming" headset and a $100 pair of headphones is night and day, the Astro is blown away.

Considering I had my X12s for Christmas, I cant complain. To me they sound great, but then again Im not someone who can spend a load on headphones

For the sake of your wallet, don't get into audio. Please.
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#102 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_53"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

They are both horrible.  The difference between an Astro "gaming" headset and a $100 pair of headphones is night and day, the Astro is blown away.

kraken2109

Considering I had my X12s for Christmas, I cant complain. To me they sound great, but then again Im not someone who can spend a load on headphones

Thanks! lol 

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Chris_53"] Considering I had my X12s for Christmas, I cant complain. To me they sound great, but then again Im not someone who can spend a load on headphonesChris_53

Thanks! lol 

I was looking at £300 headphones the other day, remembering when I bought my HD429s for £80 thinking 'damn that's a lot of money'. And it's all downhill from here.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_53"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] For the sake of your wallet, don't get into audio. Please.kraken2109

Thanks! lol 

I was looking at £300 headphones the other day, remembering when I bought my HD429s for £80 thinking 'damn that's a lot of money'. And it's all downhill from here.

I just spend $2800 on headphones + amp/dac and I am thinking of buying another pair that complements them :lol:

Good thing I didn't get into this when I was a student.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts
[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] After you eventually upgrade one day, you will not like them anymore. The difference between my old X11's and my Astro A40's are like night and day.Chris_53

I remember reading a thread on headfi where people were complaining that "layman" thought cheaper headphones sounded better than their expensive "cans" when hearing them side by side. Bottom line, if what you have produces a sound you like, then don't get suckered into buying something different.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Chris_53"] Thanks! lol 

Riadon2

I just spend $2800 on headphones + amp/dac and I am thinking of buying another pair that complements them :lol:

Good thing I didn't get into this when I was a student.

Nice!! TH900!!!!! I love that headphone, tried it at a meet, fantastic!
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#107 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="Chris_53"]I quite like my Turtle Beach X12s Riadon2

After you eventually upgrade one day, you will not like them anymore. The difference between my old X11's and my Astro A40's are like night and day.

Maybe from an audiophile perspective... but if you want simulated surround sound and chat capability on every platform, the Astros are hard to beat.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] After you eventually upgrade one day, you will not like them anymore. The difference between my old X11's and my Astro A40's are like night and day.donalbane

Maybe from an audiophile perspective... but if you want simulated surround sound and chat capability on every platform, the Astros are hard to beat.

There certainly does seem to be a gap here which i'm surprised no company seems to be filling.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] After you eventually upgrade one day, you will not like them anymore. The difference between my old X11's and my Astro A40's are like night and day.donalbane

The Astro doesn't have surround sound any better than a $40 sound card (or normal headphone with mixamp for console), and the soundstage and imaging (most important aspects for competitive gaming) are completely horrible compared to other options in the price range (Q701. DT880, etc), and even much lower.  Not to mention that the sound sucks in general (relative to price), especially for music.

The mic is meh, the Antlion Modmic sounds the same or better than the A40's mic.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

There certainly does seem to be a gap here which i'm surprised no company seems to be filling.

To my knowledge any good pair of headphones can far exceed cheapo gaming "surround" headphones. All you need is some kind of equalization.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="donalbane"] Maybe from an audiophile perspective... but if you want simulated surround sound and chat capability on every platform, the Astros are hard to beat.

To my knowledge any good pair of headphones can far exceed cheapo gaming "surround" headphones. All you need is some kind of equalization.

But compatibility is still an issue. Sennheiser and beyer have shown that they can make headsets with good quality headphones, but they still aren't easy to set up with games consoles.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="donalbane"] Maybe from an audiophile perspective... but if you want simulated surround sound and chat capability on every platform, the Astros are hard to beat.

+1
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#113 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Wow, it's been a while since i've been in this thread..and i did what i sought out to do: Get the he-400's But now i'm considering getting the hd 650's to compliment the "fun" sound of the he-400's with more laid back headphone. Or maybe get an m100 for portable use, i don't know
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] There certainly does seem to be a gap here which i'm surprised no company seems to be filling.

But compatibility is still an issue. Sennheiser and beyer have shown that they can make headsets with good quality headphones, but they still aren't easy to set up with games consoles.

Which is something the snobs fail to realize or admit. It seems to me like they just like to brag about their $400 and $500 purchases. Compared to other console setups in the price range, I think the A40's sound incredible. Not to mention they have been updated. But have the people dissing them even heard them? And if so, have they heard the 2013's? Or are they just going by other posts from audio websites consisting of even more snobs who have not heard them either?
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Riadon2

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Heirren"] To my knowledge any good pair of headphones can far exceed cheapo gaming "surround" headphones. All you need is some kind of equalization.Murderstyle75

Which is something the snobs fail to realize or admit. It seems to me like they just like to brag about their $400 and $500 purchases. Compared to other console setups in the price range, I think the A40's sound incredible. Not to mention they have been updated. But have the people dissing them even heard them? And if so, have they heard the 2013's? Or are they just going by other posts from audio websites consisting of even more snobs who have not heard them either?

Any headphone + Astro mixamp + cheap clip-on mic = easy setup. Derp.

I've seen you in countless threads kissing Astro's ass.  Stop trying to spread your ignorance.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Riadon2

Umm you realize the A40's are only 199.99 if you buy them stand alone from the website. Right? Regular price for the Headset/Mixamp combo is 249.99. I got it on sale for 199.99 which makes the headphones in the package 70.00 vs spending 130.00 just for the mixamp. And when I said about the frequency response, where did say anything about this thread? And you still cannot tell me when exactly you heard the A40's. meanwhile pretty much every review out there for the audio system is exceptional.Murderstyle75

You said you bought the headphones themselves for $70 and the mixamp for $130.  The price was deducted from the bundle, not from one specific item.  Saying it like that makes it unclear.

No one who knows anything about audio buys gaming headsets.  It is like Beats with their 4 star Amazon rating and universal consumer praise, ignorance is bliss.

The frequency garbage was completely irrelevant to the thread, there was no reason to include it in the first place.  You were taking a shot at "audio snobs", who, in reality, couldn't care less about frequency response specs.  Link to a reputable source who actually cares about such things?  Unless you are a dog, there is no reason to brag about your 5-35000 response.

I also like how you brag about the Astro in every thread of this section, yet you have clearly never listened to a decent headphone in the same price range.  You are clueless, and you revel in that.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Murderstyle75

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] But compatibility is still an issue. Sennheiser and beyer have shown that they can make headsets with good quality headphones, but they still aren't easy to set up with games consoles.Riadon2

I've seen you in countless threads kissing Astro's ass.  Stop trying to spread your ignorance.

I ended up getting my A40's for 200.00. That's 130.00 for a Mixamp and 70.00 for the headphones. But really now. Have you heard the A40's or are you just riding on the snob train? And I also see a lot of so called audiophiles boasting about their superior frequency response. Meanwhile the Mixamp can only output 20Hz - 20000Hz. This means their 5Hz- 30000Hz frequency response is useless with the mixamp even if they can hear anything even remotely close to that range. Chances are, they cannot anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] Which is something the snobs fail to realize or admit. It seems to me like they just like to brag about their $400 and $500 purchases. Compared to other console setups in the price range, I think the A40's sound incredible. Not to mention they have been updated. But have the people dissing them even heard them? And if so, have they heard the 2013's? Or are they just going by other posts from audio websites consisting of even more snobs who have not heard them either?Murderstyle75

I ended up getting my A40's for 200.00. That's 130.00 for a Mixamp and 70.00 for the headphones. But really now. Have you heard the A40's or are you just riding on the snob train? And I also see a lot of so called audiophiles boasting about their superior frequency response. Meanwhile the Mixamp can only output 20Hz - 20000Hz. This means their 5Hz- 30000Hz frequency response is useless with the mixamp even if they can hear anything even remotely close to that range. Chances are, they cannot anyway.

You keep generalizing. It is actually the A40s that are the overpriced solution. You just have to shop smart--sales happen. I bought a pair of Sennheiser hd600s for just over $200. The quality is in an entirely different league. Not only do you get great sound, but the comfort, build quality, and warrante are also much better. Buying a good pair of cans is preferable. You reach a certain quality point and the purchase is something that will last much longer, while also keeping you happy with the sound.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Murderstyle75
[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

Heirren

You keep generalizing. It is actually the A40s that are the overpriced solution. You just have to shop smart--sales happen. I bought a pair of Sennheiser hd600s for just over $200. The quality is in an entirely different league. Not only do you get great sound, but the comfort, build quality, and warrante are also much better. Buying a good pair of cans is preferable. You reach a certain quality point and the purchase is something that will last much longer, while also keeping you happy with the sound.

$200 headphones + $130 mixamp = $330. I paid $200 for the Mixamp and A40's together.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] Which is something the snobs fail to realize or admit. It seems to me like they just like to brag about their $400 and $500 purchases. Compared to other console setups in the price range, I think the A40's sound incredible. Not to mention they have been updated. But have the people dissing them even heard them? And if so, have they heard the 2013's? Or are they just going by other posts from audio websites consisting of even more snobs who have not heard them either?Murderstyle75

I find it hard to believe that you bought a $200 headphone for $70.  Do you have any proof that the transaction took place, or are you just trying to justify your purchase to me?  I have several friends who consider themselves to be competitive gamers, so I have listened to quite a few "gaming" headsets.  The A40 is your typical hollow tin-can with very little bass and even less clarity.  Soundstage and imaging (the most important aspects of competitive gaming) are OK at best.  The A40 isn't even a good choice compared to other headsets such as the HPX and PC350/60, and is downright terrible compared to the MMX 300.  Even at $70, you could have gotten something like the AD700 (a headphone that I don't even like) that would perform far better in all aspects.

Also, you do realize that only newborns can even hear 20-20k?  No one here is bragging about frequency response, just more ignorance from you.

Now shut up and go be stupid somewhere else.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Murderstyle75
Umm you realize the A40's are only 199.99 if you buy them stand alone from the website. Right? Regular price for the Headset/Mixamp combo is 249.99. I got it on sale for 199.99 which makes the headphones in the package 70.00 vs spending 130.00 just for the mixamp. And when I said about the frequency response, where did say anything about this thread? And you still cannot tell me when exactly you heard the A40's. meanwhile pretty much every review out there for the audio system is exceptional.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Murderstyle75

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Umm you realize the A40's are only 199.99 if you buy them stand alone from the website. Right? Regular price for the Headset/Mixamp combo is 249.99. I got it on sale for 199.99 which makes the headphones in the package 70.00 vs spending 130.00 just for the mixamp. And when I said about the frequency response, where did say anything about this thread? And you still cannot tell me when exactly you heard the A40's. meanwhile pretty much every review out there for the audio system is exceptional.Riadon2

You said you bought the headphones themselves for $70 and the mixamp for $130.  The price was deducted from the bundle, not from one specific item.  Saying it like that makes it unclear.

No one who knows anything about audio buys gaming headsets.  It is like Beats with their 4 star Amazon rating and universal consumer praise, ignorance is bliss.

The frequency garbage was completely irrelevant to the thread, there was no reason to include it in the first place.  You were taking a shot at "audio snobs", who, in reality, couldn't care less about frequency response specs.  Link to a reputable source who actually cares about such things?  Unless you are a dog, there is no reason to brag about your 5-35000 response.

I also like how you brag about the Astro in every thread of this section, yet you have clearly never listened to a decent headphone in the same price range.  You are clueless, and you revel in that.

How was it unclear? This is exactly what I said. "I ended up getting my A40's for 200.00. That's 130.00 for a Mixamp and 70.00 for the headphones." How much more in detail does one have to be? Especially when the only possible way to buy just the headphones for 200.00 is from the Astro website. Retailers only sell the audio system and Amazon sells just the headphones for 120.00. I really don't see what there is to explain. And the difference between you and I is, I'm not on here trying to slam other products nor an I trying to claim the A40's are the best in the world. I have simply gave some opinions on my personal experience with them and here you come sailing by on your ship of Internet superiority completely trashing something it is apparent you have never even listened to. Does Turtle Beach suck? Yes they do. Does Tritton suck? Even more so. The Sony Pulse sucks even worse yet. I'm not on here talking about it though and only called you out because of your snobby post which seems to be about nothing more than attention. C'mon. Do consumer products really get you that upset? Further more, since I have the mixamp with my purchase, I can always upgrade the cans if I ever felt like I wanted to and then resell the current headphones for more than they even cost me vs spending $130 on the mixamp and then buying seperate headphones. Since I bought at Best Buy, I was also able to trade my accumulated rewards points in for the two year replacement plan. What this means is if the next gen consoles are not compatable with the current mixamp, all I have to do is find a way for the current system not to function correctly whether it be the mixamp or headphones and get what would probably be the updated 2014 model at no charge. Shady? Yes. Do I give a shit? No. But would I spend $130 for the mixamp online and then even more for other headphones with no way to return any of it if I didnt like my purchase? I'm really not that dumb. And I never said I had a reputable source for frequency response. Its pretty much from un-reputable message boards just like this one full of users voicing their own Amazon consumer like opinion. Then I brought it to their attention that the mixamp can only output 20/20000 and got flamed by a guy with an attitude not much different than yours. Wow. I said some nice things about my headphones which sound a lot better than my last pair. That must make you very angry for some unknown reason.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Umm you realize the A40's are only 199.99 if you buy them stand alone from the website. Right? Regular price for the Headset/Mixamp combo is 249.99. I got it on sale for 199.99 which makes the headphones in the package 70.00 vs spending 130.00 just for the mixamp. And when I said about the frequency response, where did say anything about this thread? And you still cannot tell me when exactly you heard the A40's. meanwhile pretty much every review out there for the audio system is exceptional.Murderstyle75

How was it unclear? This is exactly what I said. "I ended up getting my A40's for 200.00. That's 130.00 for a Mixamp and 70.00 for the headphones." How much more in detail does one have to be? Especially when the only possible way to buy just the headphones for 200.00 is from the Astro website. Retailers only sell the audio system and Amazon sells just the headphones for 120.00. I really don't see what there is to explain. And the difference between you and I is, I'm not on here trying to slam other products nor an I trying to claim the A40's are the best in the world. I have simply gave some opinions on my personal experience with them and here you come sailing by on your ship of Internet superiority completely trashing something it is apparent you have never even listened to. Does Turtle Beach suck? Yes they do. Does Tritton suck? Even more so. The Sony Pulse sucks even worse yet. I'm not on here talking about it though and only called you out because of your snobby post which seems to be about nothing more than attention. C'mon. Do consumer products really get you that upset? Further more, since I have the mixamp with my purchase, I can always upgrade the cans if I ever felt like I wanted to and then resell the current headphones for more than they even cost me vs spending $130 on the mixamp and then buying seperate headphones. Since I bought at Best Buy, I was also able to trade my accumulated rewards points in for the two year replacement plan. What this means is if the next gen consoles are not compatable with the current mixamp, all I have to do is find a way for the current system not to function correctly whether it be the mixamp or headphones and get what would probably be the updated 2014 model at no charge. Shady? Yes. Do I give a shit? No. But would I spend $130 for the mixamp online and then even more for other headphones with no way to return any of it if I didnt like my purchase? I'm really not that dumb. And I never said I had a reputable source for frequency response. Its pretty much from un-reputable message boards just like this one full of users voicing their own Amazon consumer like opinion. Then I brought it to their attention that the mixamp can only output 20/20000 and got flamed by a guy with an attitude not much different than yours. Wow. I said some nice things about my headphones which sound a lot better than my last pair. That must make you very angry for some unknown reason.

$200 for the combo instead of $250 could mean that the money was subtracted from the headphones, mixamp, or both.  It could have also meant that you bought the headphones themselves for $70 and then the mixamp separately for $130.  How exactly do you know that the headphones were the only discounted item in the bundle?  Better yet, how should we know?

Here you go "bashing things you haven't tried".  Way to be a hypocrite.  Turtle Beach and Sony Pulse do suck, but they do not suck on a higher level than the A40.  The HPX and Pulse are actually better than the A40s, which goes to show how much you know.

You argue that your headphones sound great for the pricerange and that the "convenience" makes them worth it.  You bash "audio snobs" for disagreeing.  One of your points in trying to classify me as such is that... you saw some moron bragging about frequency response on some random message board...?  Come on.  You go on every single thread in this section and brag about a cheap "gamer" toy.  You sound like a paid advertiser half of the time.  You can enjoy the headset all you want, just shut up about it being "better" than other options, because more often than not it isn't.

TLDR: You are a clueless moron and should leave this section.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Murderstyle75
Actually I've tried every headphone I mention. And yes the Pulse does in fact suck. You should visit the Sony boards and see all the people complaining about cracked headphones and lost dongles that cannot be replaced. They are also only simulated from a two channel USB source. Read any critic review on the net and they will say the biggest con is the underwhelming and inaccurate surround sound. They would have been better as Stereo headphones. They are also unusable with anything besides that USB dongle. And again. I didnt come to this thread bashing shit and only brought it up to prove a point. By you saying the Pulse is better is a bit contradicting if you as well since you say all console headphone packages suck. And again. You have never even fu*king heard the A40's so I really don't know how you could make any kind of assumption on how bad they are. Its just a fanboy superiority complex. And how can I subtract the money from the headphones and not the mixamp? Easy. Because you cannot buy just the mixamp anywhere for less than 130.00 unless its used. Since there is no other way to buy the mixamp but for 130.00, that makes the headphones included in my purchase, 70.00. Do you not understand simple logic?
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Riadon2

Herp DerpMurderstyle75

Learn to quote.  I have already stated that I have friends who own the A40, but of course, it is better to ignore such things when you are trying to justify your purchase.  You, on the other hand, have never heard an actual quality headphone, and have most likely not even heard higher-end Turtle Beach headsets, which you so love to bash.

I didn't contradict anything because I never said that the Pulse was good, only that it is better than the A40.  I also didn't say anything about its durability, only the sound, which is comparable to the A40.  All headsets are a con, so I don't know why you are singling out Turtle Beach and Sony Pulse but excusing the A40.  Justifying your purchase, obviously.

Also, your original post about getting the headphones for $70 said nothing about them being new.  Was I supposed to use simple logic to assume that you bought them new?  Many of my headphones were bought used; that is where most big discounts come from.

Also, here are some of your hate posts against other headsets and Turtle Beach especially.  They fit the A40 just as well.

Now I have never been much for Turtle Beach. They are poor build quality and the overall sound is rather hollow even with the more expensive headsets. A big part of what you pay for with Turtle Beach is all the gimmicky features.

The ad in staring at right now for the piece of sh1t Turtle Beach headphones is just lovely.

Just tried the whole Turtle Beach line they have set up at Gamestop and am not very impressed. My A40's sound far better.

That's the problem with headphones that are made for consoles though (Turtle Beach, Tritton, etc). You are paying a lot based on gimmicks and marketing spins. Not for good actual hardware.

Its also like things like Tritton, Turtle Beach and Sony Pulse headphones. These are done if the worst you can buy yet all the gamers have them. Murderstyle75

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Murderstyle75
Anybody who puts used headphones on their ears are disgusting. Nothing but ear wax and filth. That's fu*king sick. Hopefully you don't get an infection. And a dumb ass move to spend that kind of money on something that has no warranty in the first place. And yes. With these other headphones, you are paying for gimmicks. Things like Bass Impact Technology, Cell Phone connectivity, multiple and irrelevant surround sound settings and positions, weak multiple drivers with marketing ploys as True Surround, wireless keeping the price up, etc. I also slam the A50's because the mixamp is always tethered to the headphones you bought with no possible way to upgrade in the future. Meanwhile the A40 system is a great way to get into headphone audio because you have to spend $130 on the mixamp to begin with. Meanwhile just like the A50's the Tritton, Turtle Beach and Pulse wireless receivers are limited to those models only. You can't spend 250.00 on Tritton, want to upgrade one day and use something else while still using your same sound hardware with new headphones. Most of the A40's magic is in the mixamp anyway. Something even you recommended. And if you really have heard the A40's or even seen them anywhere besides pictures, tell me something. Explain the material they are built with.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Anybody who puts used headphones on their ears are disgusting. Nothing but ear wax and filth. That's fu*king sick. Hopefully you don't get an infection. And a dumb ass move to spend that kind of money on something that has no warranty in the first place. And yes. With these other headphones, you are paying for gimmicks. Things like Bass Impact Technology, Cell Phone connectivity, multiple and irrelevant surround sound settings and positions, weak multiple drivers with marketing ploys as True Surround, wireless keeping the price up, etc. I also slam the A50's because the mixamp is always tethered to the headphones you bought with no possible way to upgrade in the future. Meanwhile the A40 system is a great way to get into headphone audio because you have to spend $130 on the mixamp to begin with. Meanwhile just like the A50's the Tritton, Turtle Beach and Pulse wireless receivers are limited to those models only. You can't spend 250.00 on Tritton, want to upgrade one day and use something else while still using your same sound hardware with new headphones. Most of the A40's magic is in the mixamp anyway. Something even you recommended. And if you really have heard the A40's or even seen them anywhere besides pictures, tell me something. Explain the material they are built with.

Whats wrong with used headphones?:lol: I've had a bunch of used headphones, no problem over here. Thats all I have to contribute to this conversation, stop arguing, your putting an awful glare over audiophiles, Riadon.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Murderstyle75
What's wrong with them is the fact that I don't trust other people's hygiene. Most people do not even wash behind their ears. To me, buying used headphones would be like wearing somebody else's hat. That us unless you are getting new cushions to go along with them. And the other issue like I mentioned is the fact that used stuff is sold as is. If anything happens to my mixamp or headphones in two years, I am covered. Not so sure I would spend 200.00 to 300.00 on cans without a gaurentee.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Bottom line: Astros are overpriced. They are marketed towards gaming. What this does is clears up confusion. It opens up the market to those unknowing, along with gift givers. Also, many people here have heard them, I'm sure. The popular "gaming" line of headphones are always on display at retail shops like bestbuy. They're even more overpriced than Bose. $30 Sennheisers sound better.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Murderstyle75
I'm not denying that however for the $200 I spent on the whole audio system is suiting me just fine for the moment. I would have had to spend 130.00 just for the Mixamp anyway even if I wanted to go with a pair of Senns on a console. Right? That's a lot more than what can be said for the other console audio systems out there. I mean its not like I spent $200 just on the headphones. Meanwhile anybody who bought a pair of A50's, XP500's or Tritton Warheads are pretty much stuck with them forever. My next purchase wouldn't have to be on a mixamp as well as a pair of 598's. I could just buy the headphones and sell the ones I currently have for more than they even cost me in the bundle package to begin with. This other guy was just trying to show his superiority instead of being helpful even if I would have been ignorant of the matter. But when buying, I pretty much saw the mixamp as a long term investment with the actual headphones being a shorter term investment. Ill upgrade eventually. Just not right now.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 kraken2109

This went downhill fast.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#132 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

They are both horrible. The difference between an Astro "gaming" headset and a $100 pair of headphones is night and day, the Astro is blown away.

Riadon2

The Astro doesn't have surround sound any better than a $40 sound card (or normal headphone with mixamp for console), and the soundstage and imaging (most important aspects for competitive gaming) are completely horrible compared to other options in the price range (Q701. DT880, etc), and even much lower. Not to mention that the sound sucks in general (relative to price), especially for music.

The mic is meh, the Antlion Modmic sounds the same or better than the A40's mic.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the aformentioned audiophile's perspective. As I said, I appreciate the Astro's versatility. I can easily transfer them to any platform I want and get nice surround sound and chat with my friends. Wirelessly, I might add. If I had said, "The Astos have the best sound quality at the best price!", your reply would have actually been appropriate.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#133 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i dont use headphones.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Wolfetan

i dont use headphones.

sukraj
What speakers do you use?:wink:
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

When I'm buying headphones I solely look for Sennheiser now as they've served me very well and the sound quality is excellent for the affordable price. My favourites are the ones I'm using right now (for listening to music on my phone and laptop) which are the CX 300-II. Comfortable and they block out external noise extremely well.

9490_sennheiser-cx300-II-black-500x500.j

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#136 Alucard1475
Member since 2004 • 564 Posts

Probably the one I won by sniping some guys on top of a building. :D

Sennheiser MM 450-X

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Wolfetan

Probably the one I won by sniping some guys on top of a building. :D

Sennheiser MM 450-X

Alucard1475
You won a competition and won those?!
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
 These. Except mine look really beat up. I have duct tape wrapped along the outside of the foam ears for slight bass increase, the paint marking the L and R have rubbed off entirely, and it fits really loosely on the head. I've put a lot of hours into them. I've had them for probably 5 years now. They sound amazing through my Auzentech Forte and good enough through my Zune and cell-phone. I wish I had a headphone amp so I could listen to them with my Cambridge DACMagic, but they lack the required amping for decent response. :( But it's a lot of fun using them with the Forte. These headphones are incredibly detailed. Their soundstage isn't too shabby either - when playing DayZ I turn on CMSS-3D and it's hilarious how easy I can pick out other survivors' footsteps and track them purely on the basis of sound. It's also fun hearing gunshots far off in the distance and being able to distinctly feel which specific buildings they actually came from.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

When I'm buying headphones I solely look for Sennheiser now as they've served me very well and the sound quality is excellent for the affordable price. My favourites are the ones I'm using right now (for listening to music on my phone and laptop) which are the CX 300-II. Comfortable and they block out external noise extremely well.

MonoSilver
I use those when I'm out and about. They're great--a little bass heavy. I actually turn on the treble booster in the iPod setting with them. But I agree with you about Sennheiser; they ONLY put out quality stuff. Even they're $20 on-ear models are stellar for the price.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="MonoSilver"]

Heirren
I use those when I'm out and about. They're great--a little bass heavy. I actually turn on the treble booster in the iPod setting with them. But I agree with you about Sennheiser; they ONLY put out quality stuff. Even they're $20 on-ear models are stellar for the price.

Definitely. I've been using these ear buds at work and they're great, despite being a little bass heavy. I just wish my ears were shaped better for IEM.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]I use those when I'm out and about. They're great--a little bass heavy. I actually turn on the treble booster in the iPod setting with them. But I agree with you about Sennheiser; they ONLY put out quality stuff. Even they're $20 on-ear models are stellar for the price.KHAndAnime
Definitely. I've been using these ear buds at work and they're great, despite being a little bass heavy. I just wish my ears were shaped better for IEM.

Glad others like them as much as me too. :) I have small ears (like a little girls ears) and using them with the medium buds, you can forget you have them in. I don't find the bass too heavy but I'm likely not as much an audiophile as everyone else here. I bought them purely because of the brand and what made me love them was the noise cancelling. When I'm outside and using them the only other noises I can hear is if a car goes close by, and that's faint.

It'll be a sad day should they break. I'll likely just buy the same ones again though.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Bought the hd 558's couple of weeks ago and these are by far the best headphones i've ever owned for now

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

I have dr dre beats solos. not comfortable but can hear everything in games and music is great

kraken2109

Can't tell if trolling

No I'm serious lol. my creative fatalities were better but they are long gone. 

oh and for the record I recieved the beats as a christmas present

Angry_Mushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Angry_Mushroom
Member since 2009 • 708 Posts

Close back?  Hard to go wrong with an Ultrasone HFI-580.  

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#145 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
I've never bought hundred dollar headphones or so No noise canceling or anything like that I just like normal old ear buds, unlike the new ones that seem to violate your ears. Two years ago I fell in love with the gummy headphones from JVC, It was totally unexpected as I got them for like 6 bucks as a replacement of my current ones I left at home while I was on vacation. So yeah, I recommend those if you just want some cheap ear buds that sound great
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I've tried mainly budget headphones.

The ones I've recently tried in the past few years are the;

Koss Porta Pro

AKG K81 DG

JVC HA-RX700

Sennheiser HD439

Sony MDR-V6

All are great for their price and should not disappoint. 

Unowuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Unowuero
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Big fan of the AT m50s. I have two. A sweet pair of limited edition red ones on the way too. I use them for recording music. I've had samsons, koss, sonys and fostex. The sound and comfort for the price is great!
Valkyrslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#149 Valkyrslayer
Member since 2013 • 62 Posts
I still have and love my Sennheiser HD 555.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#150 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Sennheiser, from my experience, have the best quality for the price. They don't really produce any bad models. They're 25 dollar iems are compared to 100 dollar Shures.Heirren

Which Senn IEM for $25 compares to the Shure SE215K ($99)?

As for best quality for the price, well that's also debatable.

I honestly don't remember. This was back in late 08 or early 09. I've tried lots of headphones, and am yet to hear a poor model from sennheiser. All the other brands have a few models that just aren't worth it.

I think you mean this one. got pretty good review.... 

Sennheiser HD 202 II