What are some good RTS's with still active online mp?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Satyesu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Satyesu
Member since 2009 • 71 Posts

^

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Have you tried Starcraft 2?

Satyesu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Satyesu

Not a fan of Blizzard games. :/

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

Company of heroes 2

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Nick3306 said:

Company of heroes 2

This is still active but they keep messing up the balance with new commanders. Some of the recent paid ones are pretty broken unfortunately.

Satyesu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Satyesu

Any other suggestions?

Satyesu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Satyesu

Any other suggestions?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@Satyesu said:

But have you tried Starcraft 2? Because, fan of Blizzard or not, there's pretty much no denying that it's one of the best, if not the very best, multiplayer strategy game ever made.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@Satyesu said:

But have you tried Starcraft 2? Because, fan of Blizzard or not, there's pretty much no denying that it's one of the best, if not the very best, multiplayer strategy game ever made.

I deny it. The most popular? Sure. The best? No way in hell. I have a ton of other RTS games above it in my list. It just took the C&C formula and dumbed down the resource gathering. There is nothing all that special about the game. Memorize build orders and spam units. That's pretty much all it comes down to. Sure, that's what a lot of RTS games come down to, but there are quite a few that break from this mold. CoH and Sins are 2 RTS games that go well beyond that. I always find it very hard to recommend SC2, the game just isn't that great.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@the_bi99man said:

@Satyesu said:

I deny it. The most popular? Sure. The best? No way in hell. I have a ton of other RTS games above it in my list. It just took the C&C formula and dumbed down the resource gathering. There is nothing all that special about the game. Memorize build orders and spam units. That's pretty much all it comes down to. Sure, that's what a lot of RTS games come down to, but there are quite a few that break from this mold. CoH and Sins are 2 RTS games that go well beyond that. I always find it very hard to recommend SC2, the game just isn't that great.

quoted for truth. I can understand the appeal of SC2 but I personally find it very unpleasant. For me its rewarding to win a mp game of SC2 but joyless to play, it feels like getting good at microsoft excel. Its a very 'pure' RTS experience but also to me a very bland one.

compare it to something like CoH or Dawn of War which are both very fun to play but also rewarding when you win.

DoW 2 has more personality in a single race than all of SC2 combined.

beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 beachbob1
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts

Age of empires 2 HD plenty of peeps on steam playing. One of the best RTS out there. COH has decent amount people playing it too.

josh_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By josh_b
Member since 2003 • 134 Posts

Company of heroes 1 and 2, Starcraft 1 and 2, and any of the later Command and Conquer games. I still play Generals and Red Alert 3 every few weeks.

gullfounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 gullfounder
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I dont know if you are a fan of Space RTS. But i find it very intersting to play multiplayer. Give it a try!

Sins of a Solar Empire

gullfounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 gullfounder
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I dont know if you are a fan of Space RTS. But i find it very intersting to play multiplayer. Give it a try!

Sins of a Solar Empire

Also there is a game called "Planetary Annihilation" it is still on early access on steam. but look nice game.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@the_bi99man said:

@Satyesu said:

quoted for truth. I can understand the appeal of SC2 but I personally find it very unpleasant. For me its rewarding to win a mp game of SC2 but joyless to play, it feels like getting good at microsoft excel. Its a very 'pure' RTS experience but also to me a very bland one.

compare it to something like CoH or Dawn of War which are both very fun to play but also rewarding when you win.

DoW 2 has more personality in a single race than all of SC2 combined.

Yeah Starcraft 2 isn't even as fun as Starcraft to me. I dont even like the way they did single player in SC2.

I heard they are remastering Warcraft 2 and 3 for the latest PCs. Hopefully this means they will reappear on Battle.net. Warcraft 2 is my favorite of all time.

IMO RTS has been watered down overall by the ESports scene. SC2 online has some of the worst maps I have ever seen. They are literally symmetrical. "Scouting" consists of sending a drone to a spot on the map you know they other guy is spawning in just to see what his early build order looks like. You don't even have to figure out where he's at first.

Command and Conquer has been that way for the last several revisions too. Generals Zero Hour was the last fun I had online with an RTS.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. Download the FA Forever community lobby. Plenty of people are still active and as far as RTS goes it's definitely one the best of all time.