Weird 'Lag' Issue In Arma 2 Which Also Occured In Fallout 3!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pumpatron87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pumpatron87
Member since 2004 • 114 Posts

I installed Arma 2 yesterday and have been playing for a little while now, although I've come across a problem which is EXTREMELY annoying to say the least. Anyway, my specs are below so you can see what I'm running the game on:

OS - Windows XP Home (SP3)
CPU - Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0ghz
Ram - 3.5gb DDR II
Video Card - 640mb Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS
Nvidia Drivers - 185.85
Power Supply - Thermaltake Toughpower 750w

When loading the game I ALWAYS make sure I close all unecessary background processes such as Anti Virus software, Virus Scanners, etc so that the game runs with around only 20-25 processes running in the background. Anyway, the problem I'm having is that when the game loads up & I start playing the gameplay is smooth as hell with no lag whatsoever which is great. Then around 10 minutes later, all of a sudden I'll just start 'lagging' (not sure if I can really call it lag, but I can't think of any other word for it) for no reason. For example, I'll move my mouse to look around the screen & it'll take almost twice as long for my character to respond & to follow that order, basically the gameplay goes from really fast/smooth to really slow and I have no idea why.

I mean it's not like it's even occuring during a massive firefight with loads of stuff going on, as I've not even tried that yet. This is happening in Boot Camp Basic Training with hardly ANYTHING going on, which is weird. I had this exact same problem with the game 'Fallout 3' and it caused me to uninstall it (smooth gameplay at the start, then all of a sudden it'd completely slow down & my character's responses would become really slow etc). I REALLY don't want to have to uninstall Arma II aswell, as it looks amazing & I'd love to sort this problem out.

I've also taken a picture of my ingame Video Options, so that you can take a look if need be & let me know if I should change anything, although like I said above the game runs smooth as hell with no lag at all during the first 5-10 mins of gameplay, so if it was something to do with the video options ingame, it wouldn't run smooth at all would it?

Video Options Screenshot - http://i30.tinypic.com/28tf2p1.jpg

So if any of you guys are able to help me out, I'd very much appreciate it, thanks in advance!

LtBoris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LtBoris
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts

My computer has had this problem for several months now, I used to be able to run games perfectly now I have the same problem as you. Sadly I don't know how to fix it.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
Weird. Could be overheating I suppose though in that case I think there would be some graphical errors visible, still I'd check temps and use default clock speeds in case you have something overclocked.
Pumpatron87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pumpatron87

A friend just told me this could be due to having VSync enabled which is causing something called "input lag" whilst playing. If anybody can shed some light on whether this IS the cause or not, that'd be great.

And to ManicAce above, I have nothing overclocked. Everything is running at store speed. Also, the max my GPU temperature has gone to whilst playing Arma II is around 82c. I'm not sure whether this is normal or not really, but I read somewhere that 8800 cards tend to get really hot? I don't know. The inside of my PC is extremely clean anyway as I use a can of compressed air on it every week or so.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Try lowering Antialiasing and see what happens. Cheers

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ManicAce

A friend just told me this could be due to having VSync enabled which is causing something called "input lag" whilst playing. If anybody can shed some light on whether this IS the cause or not, that'd be great.

Pumpatron87
Vsync basically matches(caps) your framerate to your monitors refresh rate to prevent screen tearing. It can cause performance decrease but it should be constant in that case. Still there's no harm disabling it, I never have vsync on.
Pumpatron87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pumpatron87
[QUOTE="Pumpatron87"]

ManicAce
Vsync basically matches(caps) your framerate to your monitors refresh rate to prevent screen tearing. It can cause performance decrease but it should be constant in that case. Still there's no harm disabling it, I never have vsync on.

The only problem there is that the game doesn't have a setting to turn VSync off. I'll have to do it manually, although having looked around I haven't been able to find any way of doing it, although I may not have looked hard enough.
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ManicAce
[QUOTE="ManicAce"][QUOTE="Pumpatron87"]

Pumpatron87

The only problem there is that the game doesn't have a setting to turn VSync off. I'll have to do it manually, although having looked around I haven't been able to find any way of doing it, although I may not have looked hard enough.

I'm not sure since I don't have nvidia card, but there might be an option in your nvidia control panel to force vsync off. Other than that and patching and upgrading all drivers, I'd prolly try lowering all settings to see if it makes a diff.
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts

[QUOTE="Pumpatron87"]

ManicAce

it does but it does cause a noticeble mouse lag that negatively affects your ability to aim i tried enabling it in cs:S and it was horrible and l4d as well the mouse lag isn't worth it i'll take screen tearing any day over mouse lag! and its defintly directly caused by sv-sync cause when i but fps_max to 60 my mouse moments are very smooth and precise while with v-sync its not.

LtBoris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LtBoris
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts

well i turned off v-sync on the nvidia control panel and it didn't help sadly. Thanks for the help though. Could it be something else?