WC3 Battlechest vs. WiC vs. COH

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Well guys I'm a really big FPS fan but I'm looking into the RTS genre and well I think I've narrowed the choices down to the following:
Warcraft 3 Battlechest
Company of Heroes
World in Conflict
Now I'm really having trouble deciding! Out of these, I've only played WC3 (and that was the demo). So far from what I've heard, here are the pros/cons to each:
Warcraft 3 Battlechest Pros:
I have some friends that play it
It seems to still have a really good amount of players on Battle.net
It has a Map Editor kit
My friend said it takes both strategy and tactics, not really luck
Story and setting
Warcraft 3 Battlechest Cons:
You don't control that many units
It's an older game so who knows when WC4 is coming Tongue
Many people have been playing since it's original release and will know all the little tricks and nuances
COH Pros:
Cool WW2 setting
Seems to take strategy and tactics to win
Graphics seem good
Destructible environments
COH Cons:
I can't really think of any haha
But again, this is from what I've heard
WiC Pros:
Newest RTS out there I think
Beautiful graphics
Story and setting
Destructible environments (?)
Seems like a different take on the RTS genre
WiC Cons:
I've been hearing that it doesn't really take a lot of skill i.e. not much strategy or tactics
I've heard that the single-player doesn't have much replayability

I want a game that has a lot of replayability but is also very skill based. Like, when you win you feel a sense of accomplishment knowing that you actually out-played or or out-thought your opponent(s) by using better strategies/tactics. Not winning becuz luck plays a huge factor in the game. So lol basically I guess I want a very strategic/tactical game.

What do you guys think?

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

first off...all of these games have a map editor....

back on point though...you dont have any RTS experience....so you should stay far away from COH for the time being, and than get it when your better...

as for now...its kinda hard to tell since WIC and WC3 are very different....if you want something with none-stop action, go for WIC, but if you want more strategic combat, go for WC3.

that said I think COH is easily the best of those....but its way to complicated for someone who has no RTS experience.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
WC3 has extreme replay value. All the custom maps will keep you playing without even having to touch the original game. WiC is competitive teamwork. CoH has a bit more control over units than WiC and is set in WW2. I'd go with WC3 and if you have enough money get WiC also.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

first off...all of these games have a map editor....

back on point though...you dont have any RTS experience....so you should stay far away from COH for the time being, and than get it when your better...

as for now...its kinda hard to tell since WIC and WC3 are very different....if you want something with none-stop action, go for WIC, but if you want more strategic combat, go for WC3.

that said I think COH is easily the best of those....but its way to complicated for someone who has no RTS experience.

cobrax75

Don't listen to that CoH is not as hard or even hardcore as some people make it out to be, it did require micro, though not to the same levels as StarCraft but after CoH:OF you can get buy using blob tactics and artillary spam. The tech tree and built orders in that game are also very easy to learn as some faction, like the Panzer Elite have a total of four structures that are seperated into two teching levels (two buildings for each level)

There are also three doctrines you can pick (similar to Age of Mythology) and after awhile choosing them becomes really simple. For example in an American vs. Panzer Elite game the Americans would always choose the infantry doctrine so they could get Rangers and the Panzer Elite would choose Lufftwaffe so they cang get Fallsheminjager to counter them.

You will also find that some doctrines and units are completly uselessonline and exist as filler. Again look at Panzer Elite Scorched Earth doctrine and their Panzer IV.

The counters in CoH are also reallyeasy to learnas they simply make sense, like AT tank guns counter tanks, or HMG's counter infantry etc.

CoH also has a level system for ranked matches where you will be set up against opponent who is a similar level as you, so in theory you should never be completly outclassed.

I can't really recommend one though, download the demos and see for yourself. Although if I had to choose it would be WC3 simply because of the variety of game types and the fact that you can play it with your friends.

alexmatusiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 alexmatusiak
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

CoH is an amazing game. Right from your OP, I can see that you like the setting etc which means you're probably leaning towards it, but since you have friends who play WC3 you feel as though you should get it ... which would lead me to believe that what you're really looking for here is for someone to persuade you to buy CoH.

So I'll go ahead and say that CoH is by far the best RTS game I've ever played, and I've played RTS game first and foremost since I started serious PC gaming (Sesame St games on my C64 don't count).

WiC is new, yes, but you won't get as much replay value out of it. And although some effects look better, I thing CoH overall is the better looking game ... just a better feel all around.

All that being said ... WC3 is still a great game and a classic that you won't regret playing (single player or multiplayer). It probably has the biggest community still, but ... we're talking a Blizzard game here so you have massive player pools in Asia. But from my point of view, there are enough people playing CoH online that its never been a concern. Once the player pool gets too large, its really overkill. You can't play EVERYONE at once after all. Its like WoW - it has a huge following but its not like its one massive virtual world .. you're only playing with a minute % of the total people so really anything over a certain amount is moot ...

CoH has enough players that the point is moot.

Also ... if your friends haven't played CoH yet ... buy it and show them what its all about. They'll convert.

The only other game I'd suggest is CoH's older brother - Dawn of War. Pick up the Dark Crusade for the best SP campaign and ability to play all the factions in single player mode ... pick your favorite(s) and pick up the other packs to unlock them for online play. These expansions are pretty dirt cheap now, so its not too expensive, but collecting all the DoW games, including the upcoming expansion, will end costing you more than the other options.

The tradeoff for the increased cost? Probably the most accessible of all the games, with great visuals that isn't demanding on your system, a huge (in comparison) variation of playable factions that all feel very unique, quick gameplay that keeps you thinking more about the front lines than base building and a highly replayable strategic-map based sp campain (in dark crusade).

I probably rambled on long enough now ...

Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
CoH just because it's so fun watching infantry taking cover. I hope this cover system will be implemented in other future RTS as well.
yoavA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 yoavA
Member since 2006 • 86 Posts

Battlechest of course. Been playing it for more then 3 years now on Batlle.net and yeah, it still has a very large community so no problems finding dudes to play against. Most are very experienced but on the other end there is a constant flow of "noobs" and the game wont let you play with people much better then yourself to keep things balanced (for example, if you're level 1 you wont be able to play against someone whos level 20). Battle.net will surely keep you playing for some time, as there are may different strategies and some bonuses to unlock. As for the single player campaign, it has a great story and will last you (both Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne) at least 20 hours.

COH was a pretty great game as well, though it didnt keep me playing long. I played a few quick online matches, the campaign and that was it. It definitely is more strategic than Warcraft 3, and thus much harder to get into.

WiC isnt really a strategy game and for me - a long time strategy fan whos been around since Warcraft 2 - its a big minus. Maybe it'll be good for starters tho.

All in all, I think you should go for Warcraft 3. It's one of the best strategy games out there and you won't be disappointed.

Sorry for my bad English folks :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 62586559
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I have been playing RTS for ages since about year 2000. This year i suggest WIC. Its one of the best rts games i've ever played and its real fun. I have COH and WC3 too. I find COH good if you like solo play as WIC revolves around teamwork. I just bought WC3 at the start of this year and after a while i got bored of it cause of graphics and stuff like that.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

I have been playing RTS for ages since about year 2000. This year i suggest WIC. Its one of the best rts games i've ever played and its real fun. I have COH and WC3 too. I find COH good if you like solo play as WIC revolves around teamwork. I just bought WC3 at the start of this year and after a while i got bored of it cause of graphics and stuff like that.62586559

Ah really? Hmm... well I'm kinda leaning towards COH at this point but i think what I'm just gonna have to do is play the demos for all of these games. I've already played the demo for WC3, so now I've gotta play the WiC and COH demos (if there are demos for those games).