Warhammer Online: The WoW PvP killer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts
Blizz's influence of the WarCraft series, Warhammer, is finally being turned into a MMO.

And guess who's behind it? MYTHIC.

That's right, the developers of DaoC are making Warhammer Online.

And apparently, it's shaping up to be WoW's PvP killer.

Just read the GS impressions.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/warhammeronline/news.html?sid=6151005

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/warhammeronline/news.html?sid=6147072&mode=previews
-AirHendrix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 -AirHendrix-
Member since 2006 • 2858 Posts
That's the funny things: my rule is i don't pay for MMOS cause I already bought the game so that's why I hate WoW.
BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BornGamer
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
I actually bought WoW on the day of release based on their promises of a fantastic PvP experience that they never delivered.

If Mythic can deliver, WHOL's gameplay will leave all the WoW-playing toddlers far behind.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
Actually...  as far a PvP goes...  DaoC is the WoW killer.
darkminus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 darkminus
Member since 2003 • 5912 Posts
I think WAR will kill WoW in all areas.
uberdawg26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uberdawg26
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts
Warhammer Online looks exactly like World of Warcraft.
Fuseking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Fuseking
Member since 2006 • 2102 Posts
I agree i hater buying a game then paying 14$ a month to play it. That is just a waste of money to play a decent game but there many others like it out there. Guild wars is all free online. I liked diablo becuase it was single then online. Thats how Warhammer online should go. be free.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts
[QUOTE="uberdawg26"]Warhammer Online looks exactly like World of Warcraft.

Warhammer has been around for 25 years. Blizz just took the Warhammer look and stylized it for themselves.
CLDragonCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CLDragonCL
Member since 2004 • 248 Posts
PvP Killer? WoW's PvP aspect isn't that great compared to it's PvE...

There has already been many games that have better PvP than WoW, like GW.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="PunishedOne"] [QUOTE="uberdawg26"]Warhammer Online looks exactly like World of Warcraft.

Warhammer has been around for 25 years. Blizz just took the Warhammer look and stylized it for themselves.

You mean a mideval fantasy world setting? Yeah, Warhammer created that...:roll:
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
[QUOTE="CLDragonCL"]PvP Killer? WoW's PvP aspect isn't that great compared to it's PvE...

There has already been many games that have better PvP than WoW, like GW.

However many people like myself want a game with balance. And to be quite honest, WoW's PvE blows for multiple reasons... and this is coming from someone who has full tier2 and half tier2.5.
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts
Wait, there are people that actually like bass ackwards PvP in WoW?

DAoC and Pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies were the best PvP games on the market. Warhammer and Age of Conan look to be expanding off of the ideas of these two games and taking them to the next level.
bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts
nope Blizzard's name it too big. The only potential WOW killer is Diablo 3!!! It will have all those WOW players flock!
Avatar image for ViolentPressure
ViolentPressure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ViolentPressure
Member since 2005 • 5521 Posts

[QUOTE="PunishedOne"] [QUOTE="uberdawg26"]Warhammer Online looks exactly like World of Warcraft. -Unreal-

Warhammer created the green orcs and the medieval fantasy world where Orcs, humans, dwarfs, elves, etc are fighting constant war.

They were the first to come up with it, so it gets the credit.

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"] [QUOTE="PunishedOne"] [QUOTE="uberdawg26"]Warhammer Online looks exactly like World of Warcraft. ViolentPressure

Warhammer created the green orcs and the medieval fantasy world where Orcs, humans, dwarfs, elves, etc are fighting constant war.

Actually, Lord of the Rings did that first.

But yes, a lot of the inspiration for the world of Warcraft, in all of its versions, can be directly related to the Warhammer universe. The style and setting is very reminiscent. I would venture to guess that you could ask the developers what some of their inspiration were and they would reference Warhammer, though now with the MMO coming out they might not actually say it :D
Fuseking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Fuseking
Member since 2006 • 2102 Posts
Man a world of starcraft (though that would look wierd) and another diablo 3 but i don't know what kind of story it could have.
banshe02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 banshe02
Member since 2004 • 2842 Posts
A killer over WoW? LAWL i laugh
Ogre_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ogre_Mage
Member since 2005 • 3202 Posts
When will people get it through their head that it's not possible to make a good MMO without having monthly fees?
DarkSauron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 DarkSauron
Member since 2004 • 2599 Posts
[QUOTE="ViolentPressure"]

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"] [QUOTE="PunishedOne"] [QUOTE="uberdawg26"]Warhammer Online looks exactly like World of Warcraft. Velric

But yes, a lot of the inspiration for the world of Warcraft, in all of its versions, can be directly related to the Warhammer universe. The style and setting is very reminiscent. I would venture to guess that you could ask the developers what some of their inspiration were and they would reference Warhammer, though now with the MMO coming out they might not actually say it :D

Tolkien was an absolute genious. And more of the credit of the inspiration in WoW goes to him more than the Warhammer series.

CarnivaleClown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CarnivaleClown
Member since 2005 • 3141 Posts
[QUOTE="Velric"] [QUOTE="ViolentPressure"]

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"] [QUOTE="PunishedOne"] [QUOTE="uberdawg26"]Warhammer Online looks exactly like World of Warcraft. DarkSauron

Tolkien was an absolute genious. And more of the credit of the inspiration in WoW goes to him more than the Warhammer series.

If you are talking about fantasy in general then yes, but I think they are talking about VISUALLY stealing the look of Warhammer. How can Warhammer look like WoW when it has been that look for more than 2 decades? I think WoW looks like Warhammer.
Tequila_Zaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tequila_Zaire
Member since 2002 • 16961 Posts

DarkSauron

I love em both...but when you read the fluff for Warhammer...and then read the stuff for WoW...you see FAR more Warhammer than Lord of the Rings.......sure Tolkiens work is in ALL fantasy after his work but in this case and only between these two titles it's simply hard to ignore the look, styling, theme, and even coloring...it's not as though Blizzard hides this anyhow...it's well known. That said Warhammer is MUCH darker in tone...and hopefully the game captures some of that. Either way it's a win/win situation for fans.
Tequila_Zaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tequila_Zaire
Member since 2002 • 16961 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]Actually... as far a PvP goes... DaoC is the WoW killer.

We're talking about games people actually play :P

I kid I kid...DaoC is a great game.
girlgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 girlgam3r
Member since 2006 • 45 Posts
I love PvP and I think Mythic set the trend for RvR, so I am looking forward to this game most definitely.
PyleA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PyleA
Member since 2005 • 2154 Posts
Let's be realistic here people. I've been counting the days since this game was announced and await it's release with great anticipation. However, if we seriously think that just great PvP will pull people from WoW, we are deluding ourselves. WoW is too deeply entrenched in the gaming world to be dislodged by WAR. It will be the pinnacle of MMORPGS for years to come. So, while it would be amazing to think that WAR will topple WoW, to get our hopes up will only lead to disappointment, as much as we don't like it (and believe me, I DON'T!). I just want WAR to be the dark, gritty, war-torn, exciting and fun MMORPG where you have to think to fight, then I won't give a damn about WoW. :)
portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 portujoel5
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
[QUOTE="bigmit37"]nope Blizzard's name it too big. The only potential WOW killer is Diablo 3!!! It will have all those WOW players flock!

LOL could Blizzard plant the seed of it's own destruction by creating the only thing that could kill WoW?
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

my impression is that wow has a pretty weak pvp system.....so yea, Warhammer might just pwn WoW in this respect~

also, it's already a well known fact that Blizzard inherits the Warhammer universe -- both the medieval and 40k realm -- and establish its own. whether Bliz outshines its predecessor is a matter of opinion...and mine is that it hasn't.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I think WAR will steal away hardcore pvp fans from WoW, but most casuals will stay with WoW because it seems the prefer easy-going games that they can enjoy at their own pace.
godofratz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 godofratz
Member since 2005 • 398 Posts
I think this post is a waste of space. Does it matter if WoW survives or not? Does it matter if Warhammer does? Not a bit. There's too many MMOs, something for everyone. Get over your fanboy-self. 
girlgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 girlgam3r
Member since 2006 • 45 Posts
I think WAR will steal away hardcore pvp fans from WoW, but most casuals will stay with WoW because it seems the prefer easy-going games that they can enjoy at their own pace.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
I agree here. My husband and I play WoW with our 4, 5 & 6 yr olds. If my toddlers like to play it and its easy for them, no wonder all the kids are playing it, thus means all the older players will be drawn to the Warhammer Online genre more to get away from the kids (not saying ALL kids that play WoW are ignorant, but a majority of them think because they are behind a computer they can be rude and its OK). Mythic attracted ALOT of adult players (we probably had 90% adutlts in our DAOC guild) and the RvR was fun and better organized, so I think alot of the DAOC players will be moving over to warhammer as well.