Wanting an old classic game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

00d986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 00d986
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I never played any of the games from the 90s when they game out. However, I have gone back and visited them and have found they are much more rich games. I feel that now days games are all about blood, guts, violence, gore and guns. The old games were a piece of art. Because of the lack of graphics games companies were forced to make up for that by hiring and using good artists to make sprites and scenery. Now everything is 3D and has a cheesy look to it. A great example of this is Diablo 2 compared to Diablo 3. Diablo 2s gothic art, story and music style added so much to the game but Diablo 3s cheesy graphics, mediocre music and lame story ruined the game for me. So anyways I am looking for a game that is a piece of art. I also love to think, so I would prefer a game that takes some strategy or thought. I am thinking about getting baldur's gate 2 because of the art, story, and strategy. Please help!
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, and definitely Baldur's Gate EE and BG2.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

Not all games were a piece of art back then. There also was a lot of trash, but people tend to forget the rubbish and remember the good ones. I'm sure there will be plenty of games to remember from this gen, but time has yet to tell which will be considered classic; but there is a lot of good stuff nowadays too! That being said: Try the original Xcom for a great strategy experience, or maybe Another World for the art style. Baldur´s gate is a good choice too! Have fun.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Elann2008

Not all games were a piece of art back then. There also was a lot of trash, but people tend to forget the rubbish and remember the good ones. I'm sure there will be plenty of games to remember from this gen, but time has yet to tell which will be considered classic; but there is a lot of good stuff nowadays too! That being said: Try the original Xcom for a great strategy experience, or maybe Another World for the art style. Baldur´s gate is a good choice too! Have fun.

geitenvla
Or Gabriel Knight! And Gray Matter (this gen).
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I'll second Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. You should also check out the Longest Journey, Sanitarium, Ultima Underworld 1 + 2, Arx Fatalis, Stonekeep, Might and Magic: World of Xeen, Nox, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Divine Divinity, and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. You can find every game mentioned here on GOG.com too, a bonus is pretty much everything is 50% off so stock up while the getting is good.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Check out a lot of the bestselling games on GOG.com, specifically under the "roleplaying games" category. :) I feel the same way you do in some respects; I tend to enjoy older games more than modern ones. Ah well. Have fun!
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I'll second Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. You should also check out the Longest Journey, Sanitarium, Ultima Underworld 1 + 2, Arx Fatalis, Stonekeep, Might and Magic: World of Xeen, Nox, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Divine Divinity, and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. You can find every game mentioned here on GOG.com too, a bonus is pretty much everything is 50% off so stock up while the getting is good.

Whiteblade999
Great suggestions. I would add some more modern suggestions that are also really good: Eschalon: Book 1 & 2 Legend of Grimrock Warlock: Master of the Arcane Like already mentioned plenty of crappy games back then too, people always seem to forget. Plenty of games that exploited blood, guts, and gore as well. Been playing PC games since the 80's and honestly not much has changed overall.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

There are still some companies that make classic-style games, such as Spiderweb Software. You should check out Avadon: The Black Fortress.

Also, Ultima VII is the most rich RPG I've ever played. You can grab the original game off GOG.com and then install Exult for a few improvements and proper game speed. DOSbox never seems to run the game right.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

There are still some companies that make classic-style games, such as Spiderweb Software. You should check out Avadon: The Black Fortress.

Also, Ultima VII is the most rich RPG I've ever played. You can grab the original game off GOG.com and then install Exult for a few improvements and proper game speed. DOSbox never seems to run the game right.

MyopicCanadian

Gemini Rue is a great example of a classic style point and click that's only a few years old.

Ultima 7 is one of the best RPGs of all time IMHO.

If you are looking for "games as art", then some of the classic point and click adventure games would be good choices. One in particular that's pretty unique is a game called Noctropolis. It's a point and click mixed with live actor photos and some FMV about a book store owner who gets pulled into the world of one of this favorite comic books where he must become the main character.

-Byshop

l337Bossman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 l337Bossman
Member since 2003 • 1524 Posts
I agree, Torment and Ultima 7 are two of the best games I've ever played.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Diablo 1 was pretty epic and Diablo 2 LOD still holds strong 12 or so years later. Planescape Torment is awesome but requires a lot of reading.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

1997 - 2000 (inclusive) was the Golden Age of PC Gaming.....still the best era for PC games by far:

It all started January '97 with the original Diablo and GLQuake and kept going unbelievable strong until the arrival of the original X-Box, Gamecube, and the PS2 surge turned developers elsewhere.

Games like Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2, Sacrifice, MDK 1 and 2, Total Anihilation, Myth 1 and 2 (not Myst!), Seven Kingdoms 1 and 2, Interstate '76, Grim Fandango, Battlezone, Sanitarium, Heretic 2, Freespace 2, System Shock 2, Homeworld, Heroes of Might and Magic II and III......all worth looking into if you can get them to run, which you usually can if you buy from gog.com

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

1997 - 2000 (inclusive) was the Golden Age of PC Gaming.....still the best era for PC games by far:

It all started January '97 with the original Diablo and GLQuake and kept going unbelievable strong until the arrival of the original X-Box, Gamecube, and the PS2 surge turned developers elsewhere.

Games like Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2, Sacrifice, MDK 1 and 2, Total Anihilation, Myth 1 and 2 (not Myst!), Seven Kingdoms 1 and 2, Interstate '76, Grim Fandango, Battlezone, Sanitarium, Heretic 2, Freespace 2, System Shock 2, Homeworld, Heroes of Might and Magic II and III......all worth looking into if you can get them to run, which you usually can if you buy from gog.com

AFBrat77

There isn't a single game in that list that I disagree with. MDK2 even has an HD updated version you can get on Steam (I think). I would love to see an updated version of games like Dungeon Keeper and i76.

-Byshop

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

D&D Gold Box games, Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures & Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

Wizardry series

Dark Heart of Uukrul

Darklands

Betrayal at Krondor

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Realms of Arkania 1,2 & 3

Might & Magic I, II,III,World of Xeen,VI, VII, VIII

Ultima 4-7 & Ultima Underworlds

Jagged Alliance 2 (and the 1.13 mod)

Knights of the Chalice

Temple of Elemental Evil (and the Co8 modpack)

Gothic 1&2

System Shock 2

Deus Ex

Thief 1&2

Wasteland

Dungeon Master/Chaos Strikes Back

Fate: Gates of Dawn

Lands of Lore

Magic Candle series

Bards Tale series

Bloodnet

Star Control 2

Phantasie 1&3

The Magic Candle

Centauri Alliance

Deathlord

King of Dragon Pass

Quest for Glory series

Of course the stuff that always gets mentioned....BG 1&2/IWD 1&2/PST/Arcanum/Fallout 1&2/Bloodlines/Mask of the Betrayer/KotoR 2

Markey83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 Markey83
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 are great FPS games. I wish they would release a digital update.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elann2008
I'm sure someone may have mentioned it: Divine Divinity (remastered version from GoG and Steam).
happyfella89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 happyfella89
Member since 2013 • 35 Posts

AFBrat77
All of this! Brings back so many memories, I would add Team Fortress and Counter Strike 1.6 to this list as well. I remember messing around for hours to download all the crap needed for Neo-TF. Also it came out in 2001 but I consider Empire Earth a classic, one of the best RTS ever made imo.