Voice chat in headset, game through speakers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pyrobrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pyrobrand
Member since 2005 • 516 Posts
Would it be possible to configure games so that all voice chat, Steam, Skype, XFire, whatever, works through a headset, but the game itself goes through the speakers that come with the computer? I want to know because I want a headset but I need voice chat and game seperate.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
Not quite on topic, but anyone have any good suggestions for a mic/headset for my pc?
pyrobrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pyrobrand

Not quite on topic, but anyone have any good suggestions for a mic/headset for my pc?kozzy1234
Nice.

xP

Check out Tigerdirect, they're got good stuff on there.

WOP_4_LIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WOP_4_LIFE
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts

I don't get what ur trying to say, doesn't ur headset have both mic and speaker connects? Just plug ur speakers to the green and the mic from ur headset to the pink. You can also get both of them going be getting on of these...

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]Not quite on topic, but anyone have any good suggestions for a mic/headset for my pc?pyrobrand

Nice.

xP

Thanks, is this a website?

pyrobrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pyrobrand
[QUOTE="pyrobrand"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]Not quite on topic, but anyone have any good suggestions for a mic/headset for my pc?kozzy1234

Nice.

xP

Thanks, is this a website?

Yeah, and if you live in Miami they have two stores there. www.tigerdirect.com
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kozzy1234

dont live in Miami, but i checked out there website, some pretty good prices, thanks for sending me that way.

Probably scoop this one up

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204035006

Check these out, they are $80 everywhere else. I got em few days ago, no complains so far.
Mic works good on laptop, kinda hard to hear it on my desktop though.

As for sound set up u want. I have it right now. I have front and rear headphones/mic
jacks on my desktop. So I have speakers and headphones working at same time. Problem
is that headphones are kinda noise-canceling, so you won't hear much of speakers.

Stevendawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Stevendawg
Member since 2006 • 500 Posts

Only plus in the microphone part. Simple.

BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
Go to the Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio Tab. Under "sound playback" select your normal speakers. At "Sound recording" select your headset.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78b683675c5
deactivated-5d78b683675c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d78b683675c5
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

I'm not sure you guys are getting what he's saying, he wants to hear the people he's chatting with through his headset, but he wants the sound from the game to come from his speakers.

Either way, I'm not sure how you could do this though.

BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
You might be able to configure it with a 3rd party voip program but I think it's impossible to do with ingame voip. It should be possible with Ventrilo. If you go to the Ventrilo options, there will be an option somewhere to select the audio devices. But you'll still have to do that trick I posted above. You basically set the audio on normal speakers in Windows but on Ventrilo you set it on the headset.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

Most games cannot do what you ask but I don't know about skype, xfire and those other software. The only games I came across that has that built in are the ones that use Live.

You will need a USB mic or headset to do it if the program supports it.

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

Steam games can not do this. All sound including voice comes out the same set of speakers...

You need to get on a ventrillo server to do this.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
it depends on the sound you use, too - i think some onboard sound cards might support the headset output as a separate sound i/o. my audigy 2 zs definitely does not.
MoodyFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 MoodyFlame
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
Xfire does support that, you but only if the other people you are talking to are using xfire. As for in-game VoIP, I have yet to see a game that supports that option...
kilaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kilaan
Member since 2003 • 845 Posts

Yes, yes you can. I was using this setup for the longest time and it worked great and can be done in TS and Vent although I don't know if it is possible using on Steam VOIP.

This is one setup I used, I was using a Sound Blaster AWE 64 for my speakers and my onboard sound for my headset. You have to do some messing around with your Control Panel -> audio options and you have to make sure the right card is selected in your TS and Vent settings.

The other option which I used for the longest time eliminated the need for a sound card altogether.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8525651&st=USB+headset&type=product&id=1186007538579

Both are USB.

Now since you already have the speakers all set up and ready to go all you need is the headset. Just make sure everything but the default playback device is set to your USB headset. The default playback device should be set to you speakers. Also make sure that the voice playback and recording are set to the USB headset in your TS or Vent options and you should be good to go.

That is a system I know works and it actually works surprsingly well.

Tried a Bluetooth system a few years back and while it mostly worked (bluetooth headset with a usb bluetooth dongle) It was really a pain and the bluetooth would contantly mess with my adio settings by itself and change things back and forth and it was just a mess. By the time I gave up I was constantly having to restart games multiple times, alt tab out of games and sometimes even If I did everything correctly it just wouldn't work.

I also heard that if you plug in your Xbox 360 controller with a headset you can also get that to work yet since I have no Xbox 360 controller I have yet to confirm it.