Vista Reinstall - my best options?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

columbia93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 columbia93
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

Since I have to do a reinstall of Vista, I could use some help figuring out the best way NOT to lose everything.

First of all, if I do a clean install, what will I lose? Will I lose files like documents and games? Or do I just lose the personal settings of the OS?

If I choose to do a parallel install, (a) how is it done, and (b) how can I transfer stuff from the old to the new? This is really only an option I would choose if the clean install will erase all of my personal files.

I had to reinstall Vista the day after installing it because of an incompatible graphics pad and the reinstall actually was parallel but I don't remember doing anything different. Since it was new, I simply deleted the other version...thus the questions!

Thx!

JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
Getting a new graphics card would be better. Buy a second hard drive (like a 10 gig, they run for under 20bucks) and put vista on it, that way u don't have to lose anything from your previous drive.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
A reinstall should not lose any data. But all apps/games will have to be reinstalled. Your data should be where you left it, just don't format your drive.