Vista Home 64 bit, 'Disk boot failure'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Edit: I fixed the problem. I had a third hard drive that was an IDEand I moved it up the priority list or whatever it is. Anyway, for some reason this solved the issue.

As a side note, for some reason it was detecting a copy of Vista both on the new and old hard drive, hence the two copies. Why it couldn't load "winload.exe" was because Windows wasn't installed, despite being detected. I've now deleted the 320 drive and am in the processing of re-creating and formatting it as a drive. I'll leave my initial problem, and this post, here in case others ever run into the same problem.

---

I'll try to be as concise as possible.

-Desktop starts turning off on it's own

-After a couple of days I figure it's the PSU

-Buy and install a new PSU

-Start getting a "Disk boot failure, insert disk and press enter" error.

-Power issues are solved, but every time I boot upI MUST have the Vista disc in the drive or I will get the above error. All my data is intact.

-I backup my data,wipe the drive, format it, fresh install of Vista, same issue

-I check, re-check, re-re-check the boot sequences; reinstall Vista.

-I buy a new harddrive, fresh install of Vista; I still get the same error. However, nowwhen I boot(I have to use the disc) I have two options: "Windows Vista" or "Windows Vista" (you're reading correctly). I assume one is the harddrive version and one is the DVD because both drives were completely wipes and empty and I reinstalled Vista on the new hard drive.

-I then formatted the old hard drive again (despite it being empty), same issue.I unplug it, same issue.

No matter the boot sequence I get the same error "Disk boot failure, insert system disc and press enter." If I insert the disc and press enter, nothing happens, so I must restart the desktop with the CD already in the drive. WhenI do this I get the "Press enter to boot from CD or DVD." if I press enter it wants to install Vista again. If I leave it Windows boots up and everything (from web browsers, music/media players, Steam, Games etc) install and operate perfectly (in fact since my drives are so empty they work better than before these issues). When I turn the computer off and back on, and boot from the CD all my data is still on there, in tact, and I have literally no issues.

What the hell is going on? I thought maybe my harddrive got damaged, but whether its connected or not I get the error. Several fresh installs of Vista, several wipes of the drive, EVERYTHING works as best as I have ever seen it. the only way I can get into windows is using the CD, and whenI do that I have two "Windows Vista" boot options.

Please help me. :(

IMPORTANT EDIT: The second "Windows Vista" reports that "winload.exe" couldn't load. Also, CD-ROM *MUST* be first in the priority sequence.