Vista black screen in lieu of Welcome Screen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

columbia93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 columbia93
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

I must assume that others have experienced this issue simply by the volume of questions via Google.

It appears there may have been a Vista update around Sept/Oct that rendered many Vista users with the above black screen. (However, it should be noted that it's been reported for over a year so it is either something that can happen with all updates OR just the way Vista responds to any issues.)

When turning the computer back on after this, the computer loads the Gigabyte screen, etc. but, when it gets to what should be the Welcome Screen, there is nothing but blackness and a white cursor. I had been getting messages about bad memory (didn't realize that my Crucial stix needed to be adjusted to 2.2V manually) so I assumed that was the problem. I sent them back to Gigabyte --- installed the new ones tonight and, you got it, same problem. Checking online I discovered this is a common and unsolved Vista issue. The only option left to me is to reinstall Vista and hope for the best. I went to MS but they want $59 +Tax to answer any questions on OS over 90-days (I installed in April but didn't actually use it until mid May because of a dead MoBo, not that it matters), but I did check out their little pre-fab answers and, while they acknowledge this issue and tell you to reinstall and something about Tfx or something or other, they claim to have fixed it with Service Pack 1. Since I built my computer from scratch and the only OS installed is the Vista Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1, this is obviously a falsehood.

So, anyone else with this issue? How did you handle it? Can you trace the problem so that it might be avoided in the future?

Any help or advice about this issue would be greatly appreciated.

purpleRz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 purpleRz
Member since 2007 • 889 Posts
Reinstall with SP1, don't reboot and do a windows update..?
columbia93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 columbia93
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

I put the Vista CD in the computer and turned on the machine. I went into BIOS and changed the boot drive to CDROM and restarted the comp. It opened up as usual then went to the screen re: Safe Mode startup. I chose Safe Mode then it asked if I wanted to boot from a CD or DVD...press any key, which I did. And nothing but black screen.

Back in March/April, you guys were really helpful when directing me to build my first computer. You guys also assured me that I was to come to this site before doing anything should I run into trouble. I know it isn't as easy or as fun to help out with these issues but I really was hoping I could come here and find people just as ready to help as before. You'll get 25 posts in an hour if you ask about GT vs GTS video but not so much with after-build mind-boggling issues!

Sorry, but I'm really frustrated with this and have no idea where to turn. I spent my savings building this computer ($2900) and now, with the economy, I've not a penny to spare so I really need to find out how to fix this without paying. I've had my computer since the latter part of April but have only had it up and running aout 4 1/2 months because of this and a bad mobo. Please please please help!

freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
I would love to help, but without anymore information other than its a black screen, theres not much I can do. The issue you googled is one that I've experienced myself, you boot Vista and your background is a plain black screen. If Vista has problems accessing your background it defaults to a black screen. I have Vista Ultimate x64 and use the DreamScene content as my background and this happens to me from time to time. If your getting a totally black screen with a cursor even in safe mode then that leaves me to believe that you are having issues beyond just the os. Lastly, it sounds like you have an upgrade cd, is this true? If you boot from the cd, you shouldnt get an option to boot into safe mode, it should boot from the cd. EDIT An easy way to prevent Vista from getting the black screen is to use msconfig and turn off Windows Image Acquistions (WIA)