Vista 64 or 32bit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_Yaskoski
Member since 2002 • 501 Posts

Hello,

I want to go vista 64 but have a few questions.

-Will the 32bit drivers work for 64 if I can't find 64bit drivers for some components?

-Also, stupid question but the Core 2 Duo Processor is a 64bit processor right?

-Will I need to get patches for 32 bit software apps or will they run fine on 64 bit vista?

-And lastly Will 32bit vista support more than 4GB of total system ram or do I need vista x64 in order to fully use 4mb of memory plus any other system components such as video cards that have on board memory?

Thanks.

~Christopher

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

A) no, but, normally, if something has vista driver of any kind, that mean the 64bit is suported.

B)yes

C) it depend what apps, the majority of the video game will work perfectly, but with some app, you will need to use the compatibity mode that work perfectly. In 2 week I only had 1 unfixable compatibility issue and it was with my old ethernet card, not even 1 apps.

D)no you need 64bit for 4gb of ram.

If you are going on the vista route, better make the whole transition to 64bit already to be ready for the future. Vista 64bit is horrible at first, but you will have to accept it and after a week or 2, you will even start to like it ;) I would hightly suggest you to install on it a new computer with new pieces to avoid those hardware compatibility issues

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chris_Yaskoski
Member since 2002 • 501 Posts

My current specs are

-Core 2 Duo running at 2.26GHz

-2GB or DDR 2 Ram (Going to upgrade to 4)

-ATI X1800 PCI Express

Think it'd adequate for vista? I am enjoying xp now but I need to move with the times and elarn vista. Think I should start with 32bit and go from there? As long as I can play some games and run my apps i'll be happy. I dont want to spend weeks looking for drivers. I'd rather just dowload them all and ahve them work like my xp install does. Whats your recomendation? thanks.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
I would just stick with 32bit for better support and your applications will be in the native enviroment. There are hardly any 64bit applications. There is really no need for 4GB of ram unless you are running some super server or have a million programs running in the background. When 64bit software becomes a standard then it will be worth it.
PiousHeresy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 PiousHeresy
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

Through one of my friend's experiences, I've found that the compatibility issues that come with 64bit aren't worth it

My advice is stick with 32bit and instead upgrade to 3gb ram =P

2gb is definately enough to do whatever you want anyway, but 3gb will for sure get the job done

>>>> or for that matter... wait a few months / years / decades to get Vista. I was thinking that I needed to learn Vista a few months back, so I dual-booted my desktop and tried it out... 3 months later i deleted it and now I am Vista free. YAHOO!

nuseir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 nuseir
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts
get a better graphic card