Vietnam based games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stix83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 stix83
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Why are vietnam based games so rare and for the few that come out, why do they mostly suck. I have only played one decent one and that was vietcong. Thoughts????
Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts
Developers are too busy flooding the WWII and modern combat market. A demo came out yesterday on GS for The Hell in Vietnam, but the demo doesn't play well and the graphics are dated.
joykills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 joykills
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
i love ww2 movies and games but i would choose nam movies/games first. the ww2 fps are getting too repetitive with the same battles covered over and over. i do not welcome cod4, modern combat sucks imo. i love vietcong's multiplayer co op. people still play that? i may reinstall it. battlefield vietnam may be old, arcady with no iron sites but i enjoyed about 500 hours of that. great settings and music. i don't like the bf2 vietnam mod. if you have the original ghost recon there is a vietnam mod you may want to try.
flashtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 flashtek
Member since 2005 • 653 Posts
Besides the great sound tracks of the late 60's and the early 70's. Vietnam was not one of America's finest hours. It was a very unpopular war and most game developers do not want to get stuck with another shell shock or battlefield vietnam. My biggest gripe is there are not any real WWI games.
ATLHydro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ATLHydro
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts
previous posters have already mentioned Battlefield: Vietnam...but that is by far my favorite Battlefield game to date, i guess it depends on taste, it has good action but it is just a FPS so if your looking for story involved with your Vietnam experience i wouldnt recommend it
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
their are a lot of Vietnam mods for war games....I heard BF2 has a good one....though I havent tried it yet.
CYSYKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 CYSYKO
Member since 2003 • 573 Posts

Besides the great sound tracks of the late 60's and the early 70's. Vietnam was not one of America's finest hours. It was a very unpopular war and most game developers do not want to get stuck with another shell shock or battlefield vietnam. My biggest gripe is there are not any real WWI games.flashtek

I dont think WW1 would make a good game, unless they utilized mustard gas. HAHAHAHAHA 

joykills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joykills
that new demo of "the hell in vietnam" is alright but i can't find options for mouse look speed. thats standard options man! its way too slow.
stix83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stix83
I was going to download the "hell in vietnam" demo but i have not heard anything good about it.
budorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 budorz
Member since 2003 • 1406 Posts
If you have a Xbox, give Men of Valor a shot.  Good Vietnam game..
L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
Vietnam games are rare cuz the U.S. lost that war. and what kind of an american dev would want to make a game where thier country loses in the end?
joykills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joykills
well im american and i love nam movies and games. its about the solider, the common man to me, not politics. btw how was the japanese version of flags of our fathers?
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
The first Vietcong was a good game.
stix83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stix83
Im American also, and yes we did lose the war in Vietnam, but that should not stop developers from making a great Vietnam based game.  I just feel that the Vietnam war is untapped compared to WWII and it has a wealth of possibilities for games.  I enjoy WWII games but they are getting played out;  therefore I'll be waiting patiently for a good Vietnam game.
FreakShow11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 FreakShow11
Member since 2007 • 183 Posts

The first Vietcong was a good game.thusaha

Agreed 

OAKside24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#16 OAKside24
Member since 2003 • 221 Posts

I've been wondering the same lately. Really love the 70's Vietnam era combat, really got into BF Vietnam and Men of Valor. I actually enjoyed Shellshock from Guerilla, too, so that really shows my affection for 'Nam! Vietcong had to be experienced firsthand, I was 'wow'ed by the environment, music and realism.

In my (and many's) opinion there has not been an unquestionably good, solid Vietnam single-player game yet, not like there has for WWII games. Just give a few of the many spectacular 'Nam movies a watch again and tell me that the subject is not worth a big title from a respectable devloper. Can't wait for it to finally happen.

Avatar image for wookieeassassin
wookieeassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wookieeassassin
Member since 2006 • 1678 Posts

Basing war games off of real life conflicts is always somewhat unnerving to me, especially when the game portrays you as the invincible American hero that is ridding the world of all evil. I have never heard of anything to make me think that we were unjustified in entering World War 2, but every war since then has been highly questionable (well, invading Afghanistan was ok, but we should have done just that (no Iraq), finished, and left)

However, some games I have no problem with. I make my decisions on a per game basis, so some games of the same genre may be perfectly fine with me, while others may not be. One of my favorite series is Brothers in Arms, because it doesn't throw you in as a one-man American killing machine. The game requires you to use squad tactics and it also is heavily based on historical fact. The characters in the game are based off of real life soldiers and the series has a story that really makes you care for each of the characters.

For me to really consider playing a Vietnam game, it would probably have to talk about the politics of the era (at least some), and it would also need to "get into the mind" of the men fighting in Vietnam. Considering that the US entered Vietnam based on a total lie (the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, the second one which is what led to the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, was made up, no US ships were ever attacked) and that four Presidents lied through their teeth to keep us over there (look up the Pentagon Papers), I really would be quite disappointed if the game didn't bring up the moral/ethical issues with it.

I kind of feel the same way about Medal of Honor being set in Afghanistan. With it being set in a war that I think we should get the heck out of (won't discuss my reasons here), I most certainly don't want to play a game about it. I haven't played the Modern Warfare's, but if they have some element of fiction to them I would probably find them ok (well, I won't be playing the airport part in the second one..)

I prefer fictional conflicts, where the characters you play can be portrayed as pure heroes. With fiction you can make wars, conflicts, etc. a bit more black and white.