Video card upgrade suggestion, 4850 to gtx 460 or CF

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lickisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lickisg
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

Hello there

Ive saved some money around and decided to enchance my computer abit, i dont have enough money to buy a new computer nor the possibility to save more due to how dollars works at my contry (venezuela). Anyways, I was looking at the recently released gtx 460 and it looks really good for the money. The 5850 looked really awesome but its to much for my wage, and maybe just go a cheaper line and add a second 4850.. Now, thats why i came here.. its to get some input and to make sure if its really worth the upgrade from my current video card:

My specs are the following

4850 512mb

amd x3 720 stock ( Plan to OC now that i purchased a good cooler)

2x 2gb ram

Gygabite ud4p motherboard

corsair tx 450w

My 4850 ran some some recent games really well on my 22" monitor at 1680x1050. Mass effect 2, bioshock, far cry 2, half-life episodes, the witcher, assasins creed. The card did its job. The game that really "combo broke" my card was crysis, i really wanted to play the game but the graphics i was getting did not motivated me to play the game, medium-high with overheat issues just didnt cut it. Im not sure also if my computer will run BF BC 2 and dragon age which i just bought and plan to play it for a while. And last, for some near future games that i might buy or be released this year (haven't looked much yet). This will be my computer for atleast 1.5-2 years more so yeah.

Just making sure if its worth the updrage, consedring the costs, bottleneck possibility(?), the games i plan to play and longetivity for year and half. The other option that also came in mind is adding a second radeon 4850 but i dont know if its safe to run it on my current PSU, some say its safe others dont recomend.

Thanks

My current

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

You can either add a second 4850 or go ahead with a 460, OC that baby and throw in a second later. The 460's have beastly scaling, so I'd recommend them if you're not feeling like getting a 5850.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

Wrong forums. But idk.... i have the 4850 and do fine in basicly all the games i play. The demanding games like metro and crysis i get 20 ish fps on high settings no AA and 1080p res. I'd prollly just go with the 460.

lickisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lickisg
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts
Sorry about posting on the wrong forum, i thought i did on the pc hardware forum :l (If it can be moved, thanks The gtx 460 looks better than Crossfire setup, and i can even sell my the 4850 for really good price around. Would like maybe 1-2 more answers, Mostly want to know if my cpu and psu will be a bottleneck for the new card or would i be fine Thanks again
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

I'm sure your PSU can handle one 460, but you may need to upgrade in order to use something like a Phenom II x4 755, which is a sweet upgrade to your triple core CPU. The one you have should pull you through current games, but keep in mind you can always upgrade in the future thanks to your socket being AM3.

face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

Thread in the wrong section.

Go to the PC hardware discussion section and post your thread there, this place is only about the PC and Mac games.