Chewbacc1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Chewbacc1980
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

My laptop used to have just 4 GB of RAM. I can't buy a new laptop or a new graphics card. So I just bought an 8 GB DDR3, which is also known as memory stick or RAM stick. Now my Control Panel says I have 8 GB of RAM. I am expecting better overall performance (Internet, browsing, surfing, videos, games, etc.) but I don't notice much improvement. The frame rate in my games is averaging 5-21 frames/second, which is hardly better than what used to be 1-19 FPS. Start up, Internet browsing and surfing, etc. and generic use are also still slow.

I'm sure my hard drive isn't too full, it doesn't even have half of it used, and I regularly close / stop unnecessary processes in Task Manager. And I have my anti-virus on.

What is wrong with my laptop?

Chewbacc1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chewbacc1980

@chewbacc1980: My CPU / processor is AMD E2 3800 with 1.3 GHZ, and my laptop is Toshiba Satellite C55DA, and my graphics card / GPU is AMD Radeon 3280.

I'm thinking that CPU might also have a big impact on performance, and that 1.3 GHZ is weak. But now with 8 GB of RAM I am expecting significant increase in performance.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Don't expect ram to be game changer. It can help fix a bottle neck it creates when not much of it is originally present but it won't increase your systems over all ability besides allowing you to use larger files and open more tabs. You laptop is slow because well it's like a $300-$400 dollar laptop at it's highest possible price. What were you honestly expecting from a laptop that I'm sure you could find for $280 ? You have an every day computing laptop that probably can't even do streaming all that well let alone run games.

Chewbacc1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chewbacc1980

@ribstaylor1: I am far too poor to buy anything more expensive than my current laptop. And it costed $299.99, even cheaper than what you expected.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ribstaylor1

Should have saved for something around $500 you could have gotten one around that price on sale that would at least play games at low medium settings. The one you have now literally can't play games. It's not what it was built for and the parts aren't meant for it. Sorry I know it sucks Im currently typing on a tri core CPu with an integrated 6150se and it can't even play games newer then the beginning of the generation of xbox 360. Some RTS games it can handle but other then that It can't do it, and the ones it does it doesn't do well at all. Yours is worse off then mine sadly. You'll have to save up if you want to get into pc gaming.

Chewbacc1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chewbacc1980

@ribstaylor1: I know... my laptop is extremely low-spec. I *CAN* afford around $1000 or even $2000 but that will be a VERY big, huge deal for me. $400 to $900... that would be less of a deal.

Also, if most powerful laptops today have 8 GB RAM, then I upgraded mine to 8 GB so isn't that already like buying a new laptop, just less costly? Or maybe CPU also has a huge impact on performance, does it? Because I didn't (and can't right now ) upgrade my CPU.

Chewbacc1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chewbacc1980

My original question is, does upgrading (doubling, specifically) RAM significantly improve performance? Yes or no? Thanks everyone for your advice/s.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ribstaylor1

In your laptop no it won't make a difference because your CPU is to slow for most things. You also don't have a dedicated graphics cards you graphics are integrated so your CPU is doing all the work and it's all ready on the low low end of the spectrum of capabilities.

You also won't be able to upgrade your laptop beyond adding more ram or a larger hard drive. You'll have to invest in a whole new machine if gaming on a laptop is what you wish to do. Sorry to say it but that laptop was an over all bad investment. And they generally are when you start to get into the under $500 dollar category. It's all ways better to just spend a bit more on a pc as cheeping out generally hurts a lot more in the long run over spending a tad more then you wanted to originally. The hassles, and time wasted with issues like trying to make things run are for sure worth investing a couple of hundred more to not have those headaches.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

@chewbacc1980:

For your computer it will not do anything. Its a extremely low spec PC. Ram will not do anything in your case.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@chewbacc1980 said:

@ribstaylor1: I know... my laptop is extremely low-spec. I *CAN* afford around $1000 or even $2000 but that will be a VERY big, huge deal for me. $400 to $900... that would be less of a deal.

Also, if most powerful laptops today have 8 GB RAM, then I upgraded mine to 8 GB so isn't that already like buying a new laptop, just less costly? Or maybe CPU also has a huge impact on performance, does it? Because I didn't (and can't right now ) upgrade my CPU.

It's like, buying a new laptop because of 8GB RAM? Definitely not! CPU and GPU are VERY important if you're looking for performance (specially for gaming). Also, you might have bought 8GB kit for nothing. If you're using a 32 bit windows, it won't let the system use more than 4GB unless it's a 64 bit OS.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#11  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@chewbacc1980 said:

My original question is, does upgrading (doubling, specifically) RAM significantly improve performance? Yes or no? Thanks everyone for your advice/s.

No, it does not improve performance. Where did you get the idea to upgrade your RAM? You only add more RAM when you are running out of RAM. Adding RAM does not increase performance in the way that you were hoping. Adding a new CPU and GPU would increase performance. It is best to stay away from laptops in general. They offer shit performance, limited upgradibility and are expensive compared to a desktop PC. Only buy a laptop if you absolutely need the portability. If you do get a system with good components, 8 GB of RAM is definitely recommended for the latest games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@chewbacc1980 said:

Think of it as moving from a 2 lane road to a 4 lane road. It allows more cars to drive through, but if there is only a couple cars driving on the road, it isn't going to make a difference. The rest of your laptop isn't strong enough to really take advantage of 8gb of ram in most cases.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

8 GB of RAM means you shouldn't be staring at a frozen desktop/windows because the rest of the PC is waiting for the hard drive to finish crunching (due to insufficient RAM). That's about it with more RAM for me.

Most of the other issues depend on the CPU and GPU.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@chewbacc1980 said:

My laptop used to have just 4 GB of RAM. I can't buy a new laptop or a new graphics card. So I just bought an 8 GB DDR3, which is also known as memory stick or RAM stick. Now my Control Panel says I have 8 GB of RAM. I am expecting better overall performance (Internet, browsing, surfing, videos, games, etc.) but I don't notice much improvement. The frame rate in my games is averaging 5-21 frames/second, which is hardly better than what used to be 1-19 FPS. Start up, Internet browsing and surfing, etc. and generic use are also still slow.

I'm sure my hard drive isn't too full, it doesn't even have half of it used, and I regularly close / stop unnecessary processes in Task Manager. And I have my anti-virus on.

What is wrong with my laptop?

For browsing the Internet you don't need more than 4Gb, installing 8Gb of RAM will not boost your games performance, if you do not own 8Gb of RAM these days you're basically handicapping yourself from not be able to run modern games - that's it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

For browsing the Internet you don't need more than 4Gb, installing 8Gb of RAM will not boost your games performance, if you do not own 8Gb of RAM these days you're basically handicapping yourself from not be able to run modern games - that's it.

That's true for the most part. But, it also depends on the computer/surfing habits. I make do with 5 or 6 tabs on my browser. My kid always have a gajillion browser tabs open in addition to multiple Photoshop files. I had to upgrade her PC to 8 GB because it started to lag badly when it had just 4 GB.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@PredatorRules said:

That's true for the most part. But, it also depends on the computer/surfing habits. I make do with 5 or 6 tabs on my browser. My kid always have a gajillion browser tabs open in addition to multiple Photoshop files. I had to upgrade her PC to 8 GB because it started to lag badly when it had just 4 GB.

LOL, well you would agree that's not the average user, specially with Photoshop on the background.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@chewbacc1980 said:

@ribstaylor1: I am far too poor to buy anything more expensive than my current laptop. And it costed $299.99, even cheaper than what you expected.

You need to learn to shop better.

I was able to get a laptop off ebay about three months ago for $315.00 that had an intel i5 3230m and a Nvidia 650m.

It's able to play any game fine with some at max settings like the new Alien Isolation game, albeit at 1366x768 but I didn't originally buy the laptop to play games so I am just happy it is that capable to begin with.

The laptop you got could be better used as a door stop when it comes to playing current or even last gen games.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ribstaylor1

@RyviusARC: He most likely got it at best buy or future shop.

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

@chewbacc1980 said:

In your case...no. Your problem was never the 4GB of RAM. That processor and the GPU are likely holding you back as far as performance. If I had to guess the main thing causing your problems while just surfing the web would be that processor. There really isn't much you can do with that particular laptop.

If your not working with much of a budget, you could keep an eye on Ebay and try and find an older refurbished laptop that has a dedicated graphics card (if possible). I bought an old Ibuypower laptop for around $140 and it plays games like mincraft and the Sims4 just fine.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

As others have said, your laptop is bad. More ram won't help when all the other parts are crap.

Look second hand. I got a high end HP Probook (2011 model) for £200, added an SSD and upgraded from 4GB to 8GB ram, total cost was £350 to get a well built business class laptop with 5 hour battery with an i5, 8GB ram and SSD. Those specs new would have been £600+.