Update *Creative Labs Slams Door on User-Modded Vista Drivers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WOP_4_LIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WOP_4_LIFE
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts

I think Creative is going to go downhill from here. What do you think?

Let's face the truth here,personally I haven't had to experience the problems Creative Labs users have been having on Windows Vista. However, the sound cards, which work fine on Windows XP, yet lose some functionality on the new Vista operating system. Forum member Daniel_K made some modifications to the code used to run the sound cards, and released drivers of his own that allowed Creative Labs users to take full advantage of their sound cards on Vista.

Daniel Kawakami has been modding Windows Vista drivers for Creative Labs products. While Creative Labs insisted that features such as Decoding of Dolby Digital and DTS signals and DVD-Audio which worked fine in WinXP, would not work on Vista.

Daniel_K was recently able to "fix" many drivers, enabling the "incompatible" features as well as fixing some bugs. He made a few mistakes, however, as in asking for donations. Making a profit off his modded drivers was asking for trouble. Now Daniel_K probably shouldn't have sought donations for his work - that's the main thing that most likely attracted attention to his efforts. But otherwise, he was only trying to ensure that other users like himself were able to get their sound cards to work properly on the sometimes-unstable Vista OS.

On Friday Creative Labs put a stop to the driver modding, by posting the following on their forums, as well as removing links to his modded drivers.

Daniel_K:

We are aware that you have been assisting owners of our Creative sound cards for some time now, by providing unofficial driver packages for Vista that deliver more of the original functionality that was found in the equivalent XP packages for those sound cards. In principle we don't have a problem with you helping users in this way, so long as they understand that any driver packages you supply are not supported by Creative. Where we do have a problem is when technology and IP owned by Creative or other companies that Creative has licensed from, are made to run on other products for which they are not intended. We took action to remove your thread because, like you, Creative and its technology partners think it is only fair to be compensated for goods and services. The difference in this case is that we own the rights to the materials that you are distributing. By enabling our technology and IP to run on sound cards for which it was not originally offered or intended, you are in effect, stealing our goods. When you solicit donations for providing packages like this, you are profiting from something that you do not own. If we choose to develop and provide host-based processing features with certain sound cards and not others, that is a business decision that only we have the right to make.

Although you say you have discontinued your practice of distributing unauthorized software packages for Creative sound cards we have seen evidence of them elsewhere along with donation requests from you. We also note in a recent post of yours on these forums, that you appear to be contemplating the release of further packages. To be clear, we are asking you to respect our legal rights in this matter and cease all further unauthorized distribution of our technology and IP. In addition we request that you observe our forum rules and respect our right to enforce those rules. If you are in any doubt as to what we would consider unacceptable then please request clarification through one of our forum moderators before posting.

Phil O'Shaughnessy
VP Corporate Communications
Creative Labs Inc.

Some users have posited that Creative Labs has been artificially removing features;

O'Shaughnessy's statement "If we choose to develop and provide host-based processing features with certain sound cards and not others, that is a business decision that only we have the right to make" seems to point to that conclusion.

As I said, Daniel_k was definitely breaking the EULA, and asking for donations probably drew Creative's ire.

However, Creative's announcement, as well as Daniel_k's indicating he was quitting the modding business drew still more ire - from Creative's customers.

For example, this one:

I am sure I am not alone when I ask this. Once and for all, we want the truth:

After your disrespectful messages to Daniel_K, will you be fixing your own drivers? Or are you going to leave it as it is?
And this one:
I'm happy to announce that by your recent actions AGAINST your customers I have decided NEVER to purchase a Creative product again. I'm also happy to say that within 30 minutes of your horrible news I've managed to convince 3 people to NOT purchase planned Creative products.

It's indeed not a lot but at least I'm doing something.
And finally:
Can we (Vista and X-Fi users) request for a refund as Creative has failed to deliver the necessary drivers and materials in order for the Sound Card to work as advertise?
I have to admit, Daniel_k has a good point in his post I linked above, one that Creative should take to heart:
The funny thing is that you are faster "protecting" your technologies and intelectual properties than providing improved drivers and softwares for your customers.

You purposedly crippled and ruined the Audigy/Live! (Emu10kx) and the Audigy LS/SE/Value/Live!24-bit (P17) drivers for Windows Vista.

This just proves you don't really care about what your customers and what people think about you.

Note to Creative labs, you are killing of what is left of your high-end soundcard userbase.Immediately following their VP's blog post, the rants against Creative Labs begin - and as of this writing, continue for60 pages - almost 600 comments - nearly all of them negative. Most posters are saying that they will either return their Creative Labs product, or that they will never purchase or recommend the purchase of a Creative Labs product again.

What Creative Labs does not seem to get is what they have been hunting themselves, it's called ROI, return of investment. Something the folks that who have invested over $200 for a high-end Audigy card with a breakout box did not get back when they moved to Vista.

Horrible, horrible marketing. My advice to Creatibe Labs, Support your customers with what they paid for, and the rest will follow.

Source: Creative Labs

copyrights of www.guru3d.com

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
:| :evil: The worst part is is that I still need an X-Fi based sound card (looking to get the Auzentech Prelude) because I still need a card that could still do EAX for when I move to Vista.
Demo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Demo24
Member since 2003 • 12303 Posts

:| :evil: The worst part is is that I still need an X-Fi based sound card (looking to get the Auzentech Prelude) because I still need a card that could still do EAX for when I move to Vista.codezer0

there are other cards capable of eax(which isn't even that wonderful), i believe asus has some cards that can do that

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 codezer0

there are other cards capable of eax(which isn't even that wonderful), i believe asus has some cards that can do that

Demo24
Not on Vista. You'd need Creative's ALchemy for that, which is only available (for free anyway) if you have an X-Fi. And the most non-Creative cards can do regarding EAX when they can is EAX 2.0... to put in perspective, EAX 2.0 was only brand spanking new around the time Descent 1 came out for computers, and 3dfx was still in business. Before Vista and the X-Fi, Creative was somewhere around EAX 6.0 (a.k.a. EAX Advanced HD), before Vista required OpenAL. So, if I want something that can fully accelerate EAX and OpenAL regardless of whether I'm using Vista or not (will be having to move to Vista 64-bit soon :( ), the X-Fi is the only (legal?) practical solution.
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Creative is one of the worst companies IMHO. I think I prefer MS to Creative.

I have swore not to buy Creative products for a long time now, this just reinforced my opinion.

WOP_4_LIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WOP_4_LIFE

:| :evil: The worst part is is that I still need an X-Fi based sound card (looking to get the Auzentech Prelude) because I still need a card that could still do EAX for when I move to Vista.codezer0

There are ways of still getting EAX. i have a Audigyzs and i can use EAX in all games

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I've already posted in another thread on the subject, but I'll just say here that Creative is a textbook example of how NOT to run a corporation. You kiss your customers' asses if that's what you have to do to retain them, not screw them over by intentionally disabling or revoking features in driver updates. Without loyal customers, you don't have any consumers to give you your money. Worse off, once-loyal customers who get screwed over like that will advise other would-be customers to stay the hell away from your product. Customers are a corporation's lifeblood, so you'd better treat them right. At the very least, my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude has been functioning just fine in Vista ever since the Dolby Digital Live! drivers were released. (Prior versions would not install correctly, though.) They may be tweaked Creative drivers, but comparing my experiences to those of Creative X-Fi owners, they're still a hell of a lot better than untweaked drivers for the rest of the X-Fi line.
Trilvester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trilvester
Member since 2003 • 1857 Posts
I have a question while we are on the topic of creative. I have a X-Fi Extreme Music. Now if I upgrade to vista am I going to lose any features or will I have any problems? I ask because this is the only thing holding me back from getting vista.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 codezer0

[QUOTE="codezer0"]:| :evil: The worst part is is that I still need an X-Fi based sound card (looking to get the Auzentech Prelude) because I still need a card that could still do EAX for when I move to Vista.WOP_4_LIFE

There are ways of still getting EAX. i have a Audigyzs and i can use EAX in all games

What do you use, Windows XP? See, if I could stick with XP, I'd be fine with an Audigy series card. But now that I have 4GB of RAM (plus the original 2GB pair I used to have sitting in their package), I may have to go to Vista 64-bit because eVGA doesn't provide any way to remap the MMIO stuff in the 680i BIOS so I *can* use all 4GB in Windows XP. :cry: :(
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
I removed my audigy card and began using my onboard sound. I noticed a very steep increase in sound quality; this shouldn't be.
kenshin8923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kenshin8923
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Creative deserves this, from crappy quality on all products

but if you guys are looking for soundcard alternatives, overclock.net is flooded with that topic

my suggestion, look into Xonar cards

WOP_4_LIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WOP_4_LIFE
[QUOTE="WOP_4_LIFE"]

[QUOTE="codezer0"]:| :evil: The worst part is is that I still need an X-Fi based sound card (looking to get the Auzentech Prelude) because I still need a card that could still do EAX for when I move to Vista.codezer0

What do you use, Windows XP? See, if I could stick with XP, I'd be fine with an Audigy series card. But now that I have 4GB of RAM (plus the original 2GB pair I used to have sitting in their package), I may have to go to Vista 64-bit because eVGA doesn't provide any way to remap the MMIO stuff in the 680i BIOS so I *can* use all 4GB in Windows XP. :cry: :(

No i have vista 64bit, i use something called ALchemy, it adds the files for EAX in the games that use it.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="codezer0"][QUOTE="WOP_4_LIFE"]

[QUOTE="codezer0"]:| :evil: The worst part is is that I still need an X-Fi based sound card (looking to get the Auzentech Prelude) because I still need a card that could still do EAX for when I move to Vista.WOP_4_LIFE

No i have vista 64bit, i use something called ALchemy, it adds the files for EAX in the games that use it.

It should be noted that ALchemy isn't required for EAX-compatible games that use OpenAL(usually recent games like Battlefield 2 and Bioshock with explicit X-Fi support), only older ones that use DirectSound3D.
WOP_4_LIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WOP_4_LIFE
Creative now says it will allow modded drivers
littlehelp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 littlehelp
Member since 2004 • 1264 Posts
tl;dr but I'm familiar with their reaction towards user patches. Anyway, I just received my X-Fi Fatal1ty. :)
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 codezer0

WOP_4_LIFE
But you can only use that app if you either pay for it or you get it free with an X-Fi.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="WOP_4_LIFE"]

codezer0

But you can only use that app if you either pay for it or you get it free with an X-Fi.

The program is free for X-Fi cards. I found it to be a waste of time though. Mostly old games need it and to me it's better to use something like dolby or discrete 5.1 than to deal with the program. The difference is tiny.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 codezer0

The program is free for X-Fi cards. I found it to be a waste of time though. Mostly old games need it and to me it's better to use something like dolby or discrete 5.1 than to deal with the program. The difference is tiny.

Deihmos
Except that I do still play some older games, like KotOR. And Source-based games still use EAX to some degree. And the only games I own that do use OpenAL are UT3 and Gears of War on Windows.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

codezer0
Except that I do still play some older games, like KotOR. And Source-based games still use EAX to some degree. And the only games I own that do use OpenAL are UT3 and Gears of War on Windows.

But doesn't Source allow for the use of EAX through OpenAL?