Unreal Engine 4 Announced With Linux Support

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Source. I am really starting to wonder where all the haters are at. These facts just keep on piling up. It's incredible. First Crytek, then GOG, now Epic, all in the span of a week. Incredible.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

More sweet news for Linux!

It's best to support Linux right away, rather then try to catch up later, possibly costing much more money, if SteamOS takes off.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Might start looking for Steam OS to become a serious contender.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

And, people thought that I was crazy when I said that Microsoft needs to start considering releasing a stripped down, gaming version of Windows priced at $50-$60. They would survive a mass gamer exodus to Linux (Steam or Google?) in the future, but I'm sure that they would like to keep as large of a fanbase as possible...

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlexKidd5000

@superclocked said:

And, people thought that I was crazy when I said that Microsoft needs to start considering releasing a stripped down, gaming version of Windows priced at $50-$60. They would survive a mass gamer exodus to Linux (Steam or Google?) in the future, but I'm sure that they would like to keep as large of a fanbase as possible...

If Linux gets enough games in the next couple years, and Windows gamers actually do start migrating to Linux, then MS will have to bring the price of a striped down gaming version of Windows down to like $10 to $20, or even free to compete with Linux, in my opinion, since Linux is completely free, and has no DRM. If it's free, then that version of Windows will have ads in it most likely.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

With Unreal Engine 4 being announced, does that mean that we might see a new UT in the next couple of years?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

If Linux gets enough games in the next couple years, and Windows gamers actually do start migrating to Linux, then MS will have to bring the price of a striped down gaming version of Windows down to like $10 to $20, or even free to compete with Linux, in my opinion, since Linux is completely free, and has no DRM. If it's free, then that version of Windows will have ads in it most likely.

They are already testing a free version of Windows, called Windows with Bing.

No news yet as to what it is but my guess is Bing Internet Explorer etc with maybe ads or not.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

super sweet!

time for those who have been asking for this to also put their money where their mouth is now. for me, games with linux support (and that are still games i want to play of course) will be a higher priority than games with no linux support. ive built up a nice little collection now on steam :).

if GOG can also get older games working well with linux then i will also certainly be spending their also. i think witcher 2 is also coming to linux (and entry in steam was found but nothing 100% solid yet i think) so thats a perfectly good excuse to play it again :D.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

@Xeogua said:

With Unreal Engine 4 being announced, does that mean that we might see a new UT in the next couple of years?

That would be great, but I doubt it.

The games that ARE coming out tho are Silverstreak and Reflex (both arena, Silverstreak being by Cliffy B.).

Anyway, cool, I guess. I wouldn't switch to Linux just for gaming though since it's still quite inferior and the majority of the stuff I do is done on Windows, y'know... Cuz my PC isn't just a very expensive console.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

No news yet as to what it is but my guess is Bing Internet Explorer etc with maybe ads or not.

I will rather pay 50-70$ than having ads in Windows...

Also what about all the games Windows already got? I am not changing to Linux if it means loosing half or more of my library of games. Linux do have the option to play Windows based games through something like Wine right?

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@horgen123 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

Also what about all the games Windows already got? I am not changing to Linux if it means loosing half or more of my library of games. Linux do have the option to play Windows based games through something like Wine right?

^These are my sentiments, too.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

@soolkiki said:

@horgen123 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

Wine is technically illegal.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

@horgen123 said:

Several options, some work better than others.

1. If your game is DOS/Depends on DOSBOX, then Linux has a native DosBox port, so they're covered.

2. Wine. But it only emulates up to DX9 features and can struggle from game to game.

3. Resources such as PlayonLinux where the community makes scripts to allow games to be played on Linux pseudo natively. General performance however tends to be somewhat poor.

4. Projects such as GemRB(an open source implementation of the Infinity Engine). Which are developed enough to run the original games on Linux(with the exception of Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape Torment).

5. Finally, unofficial secret supported games. UT2004 having a Linux Client and Neverwinter Nights installation on Linux(Although the process is horrendous).

Not exactly the most positive, but those are your options until Native versions are released.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

Sounds awful already ;)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

Sounds awful already ;)

Depends how they do it.

If there are ads all over the place then no, but if it's just branded Internet Explorer with a small ad in a non-instrusive area then it's fine.

I personally would still pay for the OS, since if you think about it, it's the CHEAPEST component of a PC. And I don't see MS releasing a free version because how are they going to make money? since all their services are free.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlexKidd5000
@FelipeInside said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

Sounds awful already ;)

Depends how they do it.

If there are ads all over the place then no, but if it's just branded Internet Explorer with a small ad in a non-instrusive area then it's fine.

I personally would still pay for the OS, since if you think about it, it's the CHEAPEST component of a PC. And I don't see MS releasing a free version because how are they going to make money? since all their services are free.

Those are my thoughts too, and I've already seen news sites talking about it, it'll most likely be a low cost version, not free. Either way, I ain't going back to Windows :)

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@IvanElk said:

@soolkiki said:

@horgen123 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

Not really. And linux will no doubt get a crap ton of games in the next couple years, so nothing should stop you from atleast learning, and understanding Linux in the mean time, it really is a great, easy to use platform.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IvanElk

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@IvanElk said:

@soolkiki said:

@horgen123 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

Not really. And linux will no doubt get a crap ton of games in the next couple years, so nothing should stop you from atleast learning, and understanding Linux in the mean time, it really is a great, easy to use platform.

Its emulating windows, the only way that they can do that is by using their software which costs money, and wine is free. Its as illegal as having a SNES emulator without owning an SNES.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlexKidd5000

@IvanElk said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@IvanElk said:

@soolkiki said:

@horgen123 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@superclocked said:

Its emulating windows, the only way that they can do that is by using their software which costs money, and wine is free. Its as illegal as having a SNES emulator without owning an SNES.

But WINE isn't an emulator, its a compatibility layer.

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Semantics and hair splitting. Wine is certainly a gray area (if it needs to be discussed, it obviously is) and as such, it's always safest to err on the safe side when discussing it ;)

(In other words, feel free to discuss it, but leave personal experiences and recommendations out of the discussion. So far that hasn't been done so by all means carry on.)

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IvanElk

@Sefrix said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Semantics and hair splitting. Wine is certainly a gray area (if it needs to be discussed, it obviously is) and as such, it's always safest to err on the safe side when discussing it ;)

(In other words, feel free to discuss it, but leave personal experiences and recommendations out of the discussion. So far that hasn't been done so by all means carry on.)

It is emulating it based on the definition (reproduce the function or action of (a different computer, software system, etc.)) It is allowing games to be played on a operating system that is not actually supported, and the way they do this is arguably illegal or at least a copyright infringment. I am all for Wine personally, but it is at least copyright infringement.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlexKidd5000

@IvanElk said:

@Sefrix said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

It is emulating it based on the definition (reproduce the function or action of (a different computer, software system, etc.)) It is allowing games to be played on a operating system that is not actually supported, and the way they do this is arguably illegal or at least a copyright infringment. I am all for Wine personally, but it is at least copyright infringement.

Then a virtual machine with windows would be copyright infringement.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IvanElk

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@IvanElk said:

@Sefrix said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Then a virtual machine with windows would be copyright infringement.

If you didn't pay for it, then yes it would be. In order to legally use a virtual box you need to have a legit copy of windows per each virtual machine running.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Doesn't the Mac OS version of The Witcher use Wine? By the logic depicted in this thread, CD Projekt RED is doing something illegal and making money off of it too, unlike random users using Wine to play Windows games they paid for. Windows gets excluded either way, but only the former party is making money from it.