Unofficial Guild Wars 2 Thread Version 2.0.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2555 posts) -

After several hours of meditation (playing GW2) i decided to write my first blog post about its skill system and why i think it's so awesome. It's way too big to fit here, so here's a snippet:

I won't go so far as to it's the best in the industry, but i can definitely say it's one of the most coherent. By coherent, I mean everything is designed to work well together, and the player is never left wondering"Why?" In case of the combat system theme, the player will soon realize when and why weapons need to be swapped. For example, as an elementalist (currently my favorite class) you have four different specialized attunements, in healing, defense, aoe damage, or single target damage. You can exhaust all the skills of your current attunement pretty quickly even with the traits that give you cooldown reduction. At that point, any new player will realize something is definitely wrong. I've seen this complaint more times than Id like to, but i can assure you there is a very good reason why this happens. The game forces you to make a decision whether to swap attenements to use other skills which are presumably off-cooldown, or to continue to wait for your current skills to become available again. This is a crucial, even if unintentional, aspect of game design. The player can wait for the cooldowns, which is perhaps the preferred way of newbies or the player can make a conscious decision to continue using the current attunement at the expense of losing damage or other utilities.

If you have the time, please have a read and let me know your thoughts.

P.S. Forgive any lacking punctuation, apparently, gamespot decided i had too much of it.

#352 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Personally I never change weapons (except underwater), I play what I have fun with and as a guardian that is greatsword since swapping gives me no advantage, even ranged weapons, for a melee class they don't have a long range, they are useful in some situations, but I trust the class, I'd rather wait for attack cooldowns and run around healing myself then blasting enemies with every cooldown than staying relatvely safe and shoot from distance for a lower dps (besides, guardian has a lot of gap closers and AOEs).

The combat itself is fun and feels fresh from the usual games I play (V), not too crazy about it being a hybrid, it's both dynamic and "static" (as some would call it) like WoW, but considering the games that went full dynamic, games that got boring after 10 hours, what GW 2 offers is good enough.

#353 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

You made me check and nothing unusual, one is the worst realm and the other is one of the (top) worst.

About the realm colors, there's either a conspiracy or every winning server is green, and the 2nd and 3rd are blue and red, only a single time I noticed the server I was on at that time Underworld, being red instead of blue.

DanielDust
FA and dragonbran have been obliterated by a blue server once.
#354 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

Personally I never change weapons (except underwater), I play what I have fun with and as a guardian that is greatsword since swapping gives me no advantage, even ranged weapons, for a melee class they don't have a long range, they are useful in some situations, but I trust the class, I'd rather wait for attack cooldowns and run around healing myself then blasting enemies with every cooldown than staying relatvely safe and shoot from distance for a lower dps (besides, guardian has a lot of gap closers and AOEs).

The combat itself is fun and feels fresh from the usual games I play (V), not too crazy about it being a hybrid, it's both dynamic and "static" (as some would call it) like WoW, but considering the games that went full dynamic, games that got boring after 10 hours, what GW 2 offers is good enough.

DanielDust
the thief is one of those classes that's kinda discouraged from weapon swapping, but my ranger changes between greatsword and sword/dagger all the time, and my ele is frequently changing attunements. and in dungeons, not making full use of your endurance bar is suicide.
#355 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

You made me check and nothing unusual, one is the worst realm and the other is one of the (top) worst.

About the realm colors, there's either a conspiracy or every winning server is green, and the 2nd and 3rd are blue and red, only a single time I noticed the server I was on at that time Underworld, being red instead of blue.

BrunoBRS

Maybe they distribute the color on the chance of dominating over other realms.
#356 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]

DanielDust

Maybe they distribute the color on the chance of dominating over other realms.

or maybe, you know, it's random. a few weeks back FA was green and lost. no conspiracies.
#357 Posted by Kane04 (2069 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kane04"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]Never heard of those servers, most likely they're not even mediocre at WvW, there's no way a mediocre realm like Underworld wouldn't win and yes, they make it sound huge and dramatic (like anything they do, even a small patch), but considering the entire event will last several hours in total, it won't be anything big, still if it's anything like phase 2 of Halloween it'll be fun.DanielDust

Servers go up and down, back in August the Underworld and FA were neck and neck score wise.

Here's a September score board https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Current-world-rankings-UPDATED-9-28 from the official blog. 2143.02 Henge of Denravi ... 1598.21 Fort Aspenwood ... 1446.024 Underworld ... 1147.409 Dzagonur ... 1357.828 Vabbi ... 615.89 Kaineng Like I said, servers go up and down. As for the little remark about one of those being the worst realm, Whiteside Ridge, Fissure of Woe, Ruins of Surmia, Borlis Pass, Anvil Rock, Devonas Rest, Kaineng and Fergusons Crossing all had a lower rating this November. Now the November rating: Stormbluff Isle 2155.376 ... Fort Aspenwood 1607.816 ... Underworld 1255.087 ... Fergusons Crossing 715.146 Any other remark?
#358 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2555 posts) -

DanielDust
i find that strange, because you're practically ignoring five of your potential skills. my guardian is currently 42 and when i'm doing dungeons i swap between hammer and greatsword. hammer has three skills i just can't ignore. i don't remember the names but skill hammer skill 3 is a snare, 4 is banish (throws and knocks down a single enemy backwards) and 5 is a circular cage that keeps in or keeps out enemies and enemy projectiles. typically i use greatsword but i can't ignore these 3 skills. they are invaluable for saving your squishies. all three are extremely effective for keeping enemies away from squishies or controlling enemy positions for easier combat/damage. as for running around healing waiting for cooldowns to come back up, elementalists can heal a LOT more when attuned to water, so for them very little time is lost in the meanwhile. i can't speak for all professions, but warrior, elementalist, and guardian (the three classes i've played to at least lvl 20) can each make excellent use of their dormant skills. Of course, if you don't like the other skills or don't think they are beneficial enough, that's another story. with a ranger, for example, i see little reason to swap weapons but i haven't played enough of it to judge.
#359 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2555 posts) -
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

BrunoBRS
the thief is one of those classes that's kinda discouraged from weapon swapping, but my ranger changes between greatsword and sword/dagger all the time, and my ele is frequently changing attunements. and in dungeons, not making full use of your endurance bar is suicide.

i got a thief to lvl 9 before i deleted it. i absolutely hated the playstyle. to this day, i have never been able to enjoy a rogue style combo points class.
#360 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Seems to me like servers don't go up and down, stable ones, like Undeworld, are always at the same place, constantly, bad or good it's at least constant, they always manage to beat everything that isn't above mediocre, in a way it's almost amazing they manage to be equal, PvE is extremely alive and they're mediocre at WvW, unlike Elona's Reach for example, where you have endless WvW queues and the PvE world is completely empty.

i find that strange, because you're practically ignoring five of your potential skills.

my guardian is currently 42 and when i'm doing dungeons i swap between hammer and greatsword. hammer has three skills i just can't ignore. i don't remember the names but skill hammer skill 3 is a snare, 4 is banish (throws and knocks down a single enemy backwards) and 5 is a circular cage that keeps in or keeps out enemies and enemy projectiles. typically i use greatsword but i can't ignore these 3 skills. they are invaluable for saving your squishies. all three are extremely effective for keeping enemies away from squishies or controlling enemy positions for easier combat/damage.

as for running around healing waiting for cooldowns to come back up, elementalists can heal a LOT more when attuned to water, so for them very little time is lost in the meanwhile.

i can't speak for all professions, but warrior, elementalist, and guardian (the three classes i've played to at least lvl 20) can each make excellent use of their dormant skills.

Of course, if you don't like the other skills or don't think they are beneficial enough, that's another story. with a ranger, for example, i see little reason to swap weapons but i haven't played enough of it to judge.Kh1ndjal

I absolutely hate any skill except those on greatsword, I only like two one hand sword attacks the one that slashes through the air and one that sends a big slash down the middle iirc, but I do not like swords overall, something that I forgot to add, I absolutely hate cc in this game, I hate it more than the worst expeirence I had in gaming ever, GW 2's final story dungeon, I hate knockback, doing it or receiving it, fears, everything, if I could I would delete any trace of a hammer from the UI, vendors, everything, it's sluggish, it has awkward animations, it has effects I hate and it makes you extremely vulnerable (if you're a swapper and you don't hate cc, yeah, you can swap just for the knockback then swap again, but I can't stand everything hammer stands for and hopes to achieve for your character).

I wouldn't change a single thing about the way I play my guardian, wouldn't change the gear, wouldn't change playing only greatsword, wouldn't ever swap skills except 2 that I use depending on what I do, farming or dungeons (one being either the speed boost or a gap closer that does AOE and is extremely useful for farming and the other, the elite skill, golem for dungeons, the deluxe edition wolf for farming).

#361 Posted by lostrib (42785 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="Kane04"] Servers go up and down, back in August the Underworld and FA were neck and neck score wise.Kane04

Here's a September score board https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Current-world-rankings-UPDATED-9-28 from the official blog. 2143.02 Henge of Denravi ... 1598.21 Fort Aspenwood ... 1446.024 Underworld ... 1147.409 Dzagonur ... 1357.828 Vabbi ... 615.89 Kaineng Like I said, servers go up and down. As for the little remark about one of those being the worst realm, Whiteside Ridge, Fissure of Woe, Ruins of Surmia, Borlis Pass, Anvil Rock, Devonas Rest, Kaineng and Fergusons Crossing all had a lower rating this November. Now the November rating: Stormbluff Isle 2155.376 ... Fort Aspenwood 1607.816 ... Underworld 1255.087 ... Fergusons Crossing 715.146 Any other remark?

A lot of the changes is server ranking have to do with the amount of server transfers that have been going on

#362 Posted by dinuattila (1355 posts) -

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if someone could invite me for the upcoming free trial event taking palce between 15-18 November?

Thanks in advance :)

#363 Posted by Erdboden (4 posts) -

could someone send me 2 trial invites for me and my friend please? :) i'd really appreciate . just wan't to check it out before buying because we didn't manage to have a look at it in beta stage.

#364 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Got 3 invites, whoever needs PM me your emails and I'll send em.
#365 Posted by multikiosken (5 posts) -
Does everyone who bought GW2 get invites?
#366 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Does everyone who bought GW2 get invites?multikiosken
Probably, they're only available for this next event tho.
#367 Posted by Erdboden (4 posts) -

Does everyone who bought GW2 get invites?multikiosken

only those who bought the game before 6 or 7 november, don't remember exactly

#371 Posted by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

Just gotten into the first storyline arc with the Order of Whispers. I kept reading that Tybalt is so awesome and I can see that already.

#372 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Just gotten into the first storyline arc with the Order of Whispers. I heard Tybalt is so awesome and I can see that already.

Wanderer5
Yep, best character in the entire game, shame you will spend most of your time with the worst which is Trahearne.
#373 Posted by Stream_Beta (352 posts) -

Interesting since I haven't gotten any of my invites yet.

#374 Posted by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

Just gotten into the first storyline arc with the Order of Whispers. I heard Tybalt is so awesome and I can see that already.

DanielDust

Yep, best character in the entire game, shame you will spend most of your time with the worst which is Trahearne.

Eh Trahearne is not too bad, but he definitely not as good as Forgal nor Tybalt.

#375 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
You're saying that now, but you'll see :P, your Trahearne level should be at around 1% now there's a long way to go from 2% to 100% Trahearne "buddy" completion.
#376 Posted by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

You're saying that now, but you'll see :P, your Trahearne level should be at around 1% now there's a long way to go from 2% to 100% Trahearne "buddy" completion.DanielDust

I have reach the mid level 70s story quests with my guardian, so yeah. I haven't had much issues with him so far outside of the last quest in the Claw Island arc where he became a motormouth lol.

#377 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

Stream_Beta
you get them on your email (if you're the one inviting), and your account has to be clean (no previous suspensions or bans).
#378 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -
You're saying that now, but you'll see :P, your Trahearne level should be at around 1% now there's a long way to go from 2% to 100% Trahearne "buddy" completion.DanielDust
people overreact to trahearne, saying he ripped the story from you. they're the same people that got pissed off that kormir became a god, and not them.
#379 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

It's all about the voice, you can not tell me it was even close to being decent.

The character was good, the idea behind his actions, even the dialogue was decent, but the voice used, the emotionless, robotic tone, lack of expressivity, it was the 2nd critical mistake the story quests had except the biggest flaw of this game its ending (all of it).

#380 Posted by Stream_Beta (352 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stream_Beta"]

BrunoBRS

you get them on your email (if you're the one inviting), and your account has to be clean (no previous suspensions or bans).

When are you suppose to get them in your email? I have yet to see any.

#381 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Stream_Beta"]

Stream_Beta

Doubt you'll get any at this point, log in on the website and check if you have any invites maybe the notification couldn't be sent, but if you don't have them on your account then there aren't any. Everyone should have gotten 3, except of course, people that had any trace of a moderation (no matter how small) on their account.
#382 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

Stream_Beta

i got mine monday. did you make your account before november? if you really meet the criteria, log into their website, click my account, and there should be an "invite a friend" option.
#383 Posted by Stream_Beta (352 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stream_Beta"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] you get them on your email (if you're the one inviting), and your account has to be clean (no previous suspensions or bans).BrunoBRS

i got mine monday. did you make your account before november? if you really meet the criteria, log into their website, click my account, and there should be an "invite a friend" option.

Yeah, apparently I wasn't given any notification through email. They are in my account on the website though.

#384 Posted by dinuattila (1355 posts) -

Thank you for the invite DanielDust!

There is a question though since I cannot seem to log into my account yet. So the trial code that i received was apparently added to the account that I used for one of the beta events, however at this particular moment the game client is refusing my account saying that I have not applied a retail serial code to my account and the grace period has ended. Is this happening because the event starts on the 15th and these trial account will be activated only tomorrow or could it be that I perhaps needed to create a new account for this?

#385 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

From what I know you'll be able to log in only from tomorrow.

Yep, just had a look on the website.

"...Free Trial that begins at 9:00 AM Pacific (6:00 PM CET) on 15 November."

#386 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

Stream_Beta

Yeah, apparently I wasn't given any notification through email. They are in my account on the website though.

might have been filtered as spam?
#387 Posted by dinuattila (1355 posts) -

From what I know you'll be able to log in only from tomorrow.

Yep, just had a look on the website.

"...Free Trial that begins at 9:00 AM Pacific (6:00 PM CET) on 15 November."

DanielDust
Cheers Daniel!
#388 Posted by Erdboden (4 posts) -

Thank you for the invite DanielDust!

There is a question though since I cannot seem to log into my account yet. So the trial code that i received was apparently added to the account that I used for one of the beta events, however at this particular moment the game client is refusing my account saying that I have not applied a retail serial code to my account and the grace period has ended. Is this happening because the event starts on the 15th and these trial account will be activated only tomorrow or could it be that I perhaps needed to create a new account for this?

dinuattila

yep, i get the same notification when i try to log in. 1 more hour till trial starts

DanielDust I also thank you for invite:D

#389 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
No problem, if there's anyone else looking for an invite, got one more left.
#390 Posted by Planeforger (16304 posts) -
Wait wait, this new update is adding 'Infused armour' and an 'agony' PvE effect? Surely that can only mean one thing...
#391 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]Wait wait, this new update is adding 'Infused armour' and an 'agony' PvE effect? Surely that can only mean one thing...

nope. not those guys. though one of the paths in arah briefly touches on the subject of them, and how much of a douche race they were. just a kind of cool dungeon concept with a kind of flawed execution.
#392 Posted by Maroxad (8732 posts) -

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]Wait wait, this new update is adding 'Infused armour' and an 'agony' PvE effect? Surely that can only mean one thing...BrunoBRS
nope. not those guys. though one of the paths in arah briefly touches on the subject of them, and how much of a douche race they were. just a kind of cool dungeon concept with a kind of flawed execution.

I am pretty sure it is those guys.

INFUSED ARMOR to protect against the agony, that hurts like heck if you are unprotected?!?

That said, to fight them one would need to be ascended, but I am still pretty sure we will fight them.

#393 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]Wait wait, this new update is adding 'Infused armour' and an 'agony' PvE effect? Surely that can only mean one thing...Maroxad

I am pretty sure it is those guys.

INFUSED ARMOR to protect against the agony, that hurts like heck if you are unprotected?!?

That said, to fight them one would need to be ascended, but I am still pretty sure we will fight them.

considering the only place where agony happens is on a dungeon that has nothing to do with the mursaat, nah. and it's ascended armor, which can be upgraded with various infusions.
#394 Posted by Kane04 (2069 posts) -
 Damn it X_X Guessing is the update D: Anyone else having trouble?
#395 Posted by illmatic87 (15502 posts) -

Wait wait, this new update is adding 'Infused armour' and an 'agony' PvE effect? Surely that can only mean one thing...Planeforger
Regular 30 silver repair costs thanks to not them, but those damn Jade Armours lol

#396 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Wouldn't call it trouble, but yes, download speed is anything from 0.1 kb/s to 6.4 mb/s, right about 8K files it downloaded with an average of ~300 kb, now it's ~4 mb at least. The trial accounts must be killing their servers, since they're not exactly "cool" with their usual load.
#397 Posted by lostrib (42785 posts) -

Wouldn't call it trouble, but yes, download speed is anything from 0.1 kb/s to 6.4 mb/s, right about 8K files it downloaded with an average of ~300 kb, now it's ~4 mb at least. The trial accounts must be killing their servers, since they're not exactly "cool" with their usual load.DanielDust

Yeah, got a connection error when I tried to update, had to restart the client to get it to work. Luckily my download speed seems pretty quick, a couple Mb/s

#398 Posted by PlazmaClone (252 posts) -

Hey is this a good game to play by yourself online?or is it like wow where its only fun with freinds?

#399 Posted by lostrib (42785 posts) -

patch notes are up by the wayhttps://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-November-15-2012/first#post744278

#400 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

It's just like WoW also "fun to play by yourself".

You'll almost never be into a party out in the world, you'll just notice people moving around.

It's actually a pretty bad game to play with your friends, it's a frustrating experience, with your friends being "trapped" on other servers, not being in the same phase (even if you technically are) and not losing your friends because of the "link" limitation (you will be on the same realm, in the same phase and in the same place, but you will not be able to see them if they're too far from you and I'm not talking about out of view range far). It's much more enjoyable to play solo.