This topic is locked from further discussion.

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thesimpsons2
Member since 2005 • 869 Posts
Hi
I downloaded the Ubuntu 6.10 Cd
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I burned it to a CD and opened it up and all i could do was install a bunch of Mozilla software or take the Ubuntu tour. I restarted my computer and tried to boot from the drive the disk was in but there was no disk detected. It boots when there is a Windows CD in. How do I install it?
thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thesimpsons2
anyone?
Blademaestor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Blademaestor
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts

Hi there, I've switched from Ubuntu to PCLinuxOS but will do my best to help, had a quick look at the site, they have changed the download format.  I think what you have is the "Live" version of the CD i.e. it just shows you what ubuntu has to offer without installing anything on the system.

What are you looking to do, are you looking to install ubuntu onto your HDD?

chaos386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chaos386
Member since 2002 • 3137 Posts

Hi there, I've switched from Ubuntu to PCLinuxOS but will do my best to help, had a quick look at the site, they have changed the download format. I think what you have is the "Live" version of the CD i.e. it just shows you what ubuntu has to offer without installing anything on the system.

Blademaestor
Starting with 6.06, they merged the Live and Install CDs, so you can install from any of the CDs they offer. There's always the chance that the disc didn't burn correctly. Do you get any sort of error message when you try to boot the CD?
r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
what is this ubtuno?
chaos386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chaos386
what is this ubtuno?r3351925
A GNU/Linux distribution. http://www.ubuntu.com/
r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
hmmm,. i get it, something that doesnt have a relation with windows.
Blademaestor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blademaestor
[QUOTE="Blademaestor"]

Hi there, I've switched from Ubuntu to PCLinuxOS but will do my best to help, had a quick look at the site, they have changed the download format. I think what you have is the "Live" version of the CD i.e. it just shows you what ubuntu has to offer without installing anything on the system.

chaos386

Starting with 6.06, they merged the Live and Install CDs, so you can install from any of the CDs they offer. There's always the chance that the disc didn't burn correctly. Do you get any sort of error message when you try to boot the CD?

Strange I'm sure I downloaded the alternate install ISO for both 6.06 and 6.10 but if they are merging it so much the better!  Go for a reburn if there are error messages on booting

To answer the other question, no it has nothing to do with windows, it is an alternative to windows with a completely different structure - i.e. linux.

chaos386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaos386
[QUOTE="chaos386"][QUOTE="Blademaestor"]

Blademaestor

Strange I'm sure I downloaded the alternate install ISO for both 6.06 and 6.10 but if they are merging it so much the better!

5.10 and earlier: Install CD and LiveCD
6.06 and later: "Alternate" Install CD and "Desktop" CD

You can install from both the Alternate and Desktop CDs. The Desktop CD also acts like a LiveCD, allowing you to have a fully-functional OS without having to install anything (or you can use it to browse the web and chat while you install the OS). The Alternate CD is only needed for installing Ubuntu onto computers with 192 MiB of RAM or less.
Blademaestor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blademaestor
Ahhhh it all becomes clear.  Thanks for clearing that up, so you can partition and set up the dual boot and seperate home partitions and everything from the desktop CD thats pretty cool :D Good to know if I switch back to ubuntu
thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thesimpsons2
Hi I get no errors at all. It just ignores the disk completely when I try to boot to it, even though my DVD drive is set to first boot. I downloaded another copy of there site called feisty-dvd-i386. It is a 4GB version but does the same. What can I do? Thanks
thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thesimpsons2
Anyone help?
Blademaestor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blademaestor
Download another version of the CD version (unless you have a spare DVD) and try it, the discs should be bootable, not sure why its not picking it up as the first boot device if you have set it in bios.
thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thesimpsons2
Can you please direct me to the right version link as I am not sure I am downloading the righr one?
Blademaestor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blademaestor
the initial link you gave was fine.  Downloaded a copy and it booted straight off it.
thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thesimpsons2
Ok, thanks.