TXAA=Large sheet of plastic

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by demi0227_basic (1368 posts) -

For anybody that wants to use the new Nvidia way of AA, TXAA, that doesn't have an Nvidia card, I've found a solution for you.

Step One: Get some thick plastic

Step Two: Cover monitor with said plastic.

Step Three: Profit.

So there you go! If you couldn't tell, I was satiricly making fun of TXAA for being INCREDIBLY blurry. It's like FXAA, but much more pronounced. FXAA looks super sharp in comparison to TXAA. Black Ops 2 with TXAA is grossly inferior to MSAA.

Thoughts? I hope you enjoyed my "solution!"

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24478 posts) -
I recommend one of these instead some vectrex screenoverlays
#3 Posted by mep69 (1926 posts) -

For anybody that wants to use the new Nvidia way of AA, TXAA, that doesn't have an Nvidia card, I've found a solution for you.

Step One: Get some thick plastic

Step Two: Cover monitor with said plastic.

Step Three: ???

Step Four: Profit.

So there you go! If you couldn't tell, I was satiricly making fun of TXAA for being INCREDIBLY blurry. It's like FXAA, but much more pronounced. FXAA looks super sharp in comparison to TXAA. Black Ops 2 with TXAA is grossly inferior to MSAA.

Thoughts? I hope you enjoyed my "solution!"

demi0227_basic

fixed

#4 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Beats FXAA, for the "absolutely no performance hit" solutions.
#5 Posted by Kinthalis (5502 posts) -

The amount of blur is actually equal to that used in film CGI. The problem with that is that that blur is part of the "experience" and the image quality fo film runnign at 24 FPS.

So it's jarring to see it on a game that is NOT film, nor is it runnign at 24 FPS (well, out side consoles of course :p ).

That being said, it does an amazing job at temporal AA. Jaggies are bad, but nothing screams horridness like MOVING jaggies. Even if you could bring yourself to ignore jaggies in a frame, there's no way you're going to miss the shimmer/stair casing that happens whener the game or camera moves.

TXAA does agreat job of reducing and at times eliminating that aspect of AA, much better than MSAA, better that FXAA.

But yeah, that blur kills it. I'll take FXAA with some Transparency AA, even iwth the occasional "dancing" jaggie here and there.

#6 Posted by Kinthalis (5502 posts) -

Beats FXAA, for the "absolutely no performance hit" solutions.DanielDust

Not really. It's not as intensive as say 8X MSAA, but it's not as performance "free" as a pure post process effect like FXAA.

#7 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I don't even use any AA because I rather have a super-sharp picture.

I do like good AF tho, cause blurry textures 2 meters away annoy me.

#9 Posted by Lach0121 (10457 posts) -

I haven't got to use TXAA yet so I don't know.

However I think FXAA is a good medium, for games that have performance issue using MSAA. (I hear Max Payne 3 is this way)

I think its better when used in conjuction with MSAA though. It crispens it up, without a lot of the jaggies. (I get better visual results, and performance going with FXAA and 2xMSAA, than just 4xMSAA, or 8xCSAA)

I think MSAA looks better, but performs way worse, also FXAA applyies to some light sources, or what light shines on.

As far as visual quality of Anti-aliasing, I wouldn't want to go any lower than FXAA though.

My pipe dream for AA, is one that does well with shimmering movements, static images, and light sources/surfaces. (that is meant for higher than 24fps) And doesn't kill performance, and has bad blur. (yeah I know that will be a while off) lol

#10 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

I don't even use any AA because I rather have a super-sharp picture.

I do like good AF tho, cause blurry textures 2 meters away annoy me.

nameless12345
MSAA doesn't blur. Well, not noticeably.
#11 Posted by Mcspanky37 (1695 posts) -
Beats FXAA, for the "absolutely no performance hit" solutions.DanielDust
There's a performance hit associated with FXAA? :o
#12 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Beats FXAA, for the "absolutely no performance hit" solutions.Mcspanky37
There's a performance hit associated with FXAA? :o

...there's a what? what have you been reading?
#13 Edited by pongley (2224 posts) -

I tried TXAA in AC4. It seems to have been improved, though it is still blurry I'd say it's on par with FXAA. It's isolated to a few surfaces with details like shredded, dry seaweed on beaches and the burlap coverings on stalls.

Splinter Cell Blacklist on the other hand is blurred to sh*t.

#14 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6421 posts) -

I dont have a Nvidia card, but have always wondered what TXAA is like, and now I know some.

I hate FXAA!!!! With a PASSION!!! so blurry!! to hear that TXAA is even worse, what a joke.

#15 Posted by demi0227_basic (1368 posts) -

Hey! My old thread, dug out of the grave.

I tried out TXAA on AC4 too...same story I think. Blurry mess.