Top 20 PC Games: April 2007

This topic is locked from further discussion.

phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts
Top 20 PC Games: April 2007

One MMO to rule April

The NPD Group has released their latest PC software report.

The table shows the top 20 best selling PC games for the month of April 2007.

1. Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows Of Angmar-Midway

2. World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade-Blizzard

3. World Of Warcraft-Blizzard

4. Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars-Electronic Arts

5. The Sims 2-Electronic Arts

6. The Sims 2 Seasons-Electronic Arts

7. The Sims 2 Celebration Stuff-Electronic Arts

8. Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows Of Angmar Special Ed-Midway

9. 3333 XP Games JC-Viva Media

10. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Shivering Isles-Take-Two

11. Stalker: Shadow Of Chernobyl-THQ

12. The Sims 2 Pets-Electronic Arts

13. The Sims 2 Nightlife-Electronic Arts

14. Sim City 4 Deluxe-Electronic Arts

15. Battlefield 2142-Electronic Arts

16. Supreme Commander-THQ

17. Age Of Empires III-Microsoft

18. Halo: Combat Evolved-Microsoft

19. Warcraft III Battle Chest-Blizzard

20. MahJongg XP Championship 200 Platinum JC-Viva Media

I always thought that LOTRO is going to sell a lot, but I never expected to be the number one selling game in April. Could it be the first true WoW killer? Who knows.

So what are your thoughts?  

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
Lord of the ring online best-selling hmm....
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
im glad to see AOE3 is still selling that game was underated :( i love all of the AOE's.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

Wow given all the different Sims 2 titles still making the top 20 its just amazing.  I know it was the best selling game franchise in history but I didn't know it still was the top 20 in April 2007.  That game is just a juggernaut!! 

Decado_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Decado_basic
Member since 2002 • 4030 Posts
What a hideous list.  No wonder talented developers are struggling on the PC.
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts

Wow given all the different Sims 2 titles still making the top 20 its just amazing. I know it was the best selling game franchise in history but I didn't know it still was the top 20 in April 2007. That game is just a juggernaut!!

basersx

Yeah it's very strange that Sims still is selling so good, how can people continue to buy the these addons. You would think people would be bored with the game after finishing the original. 

daftpunk_mk5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 daftpunk_mk5
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts
[QUOTE="basersx"]

Wow given all the different Sims 2 titles still making the top 20 its just amazing. I know it was the best selling game franchise in history but I didn't know it still was the top 20 in April 2007. That game is just a juggernaut!!

ikwal

Yeah it's very strange that Sims still is selling so good, how can people continue to buy the these addons. You would think people would be bored with the game after finishing the original.

because normal people have no tastes in games 

phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts
[QUOTE="ikwal"][QUOTE="basersx"]

daftpunk_mk5

Or they don't want to play complicated agmes.  

daftpunk_mk5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 daftpunk_mk5
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts
[QUOTE="daftpunk_mk5"][QUOTE="ikwal"][QUOTE="basersx"]

phatkav

the sims is ALOT more complicated than, say, half life or most other shooters 

Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts
That list is...painfully awful. The ignorant masses need better taste in games.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

That list is...painfully awful. The ignorant masses need better taste in games.Teuvan

well the best titles are yet to arrive so I'm not very dissapointed. I'm glad C&C3 is doing nice and seeing STALKER do well is also great.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
not too bad imho, c&c 3, stalker, supreme commander, bf2142 feature. Sims usually takes up most of the spots and Wow has been a killer seller for a long time now.
SirWrinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SirWrinkles
Member since 2007 • 218 Posts
Sad really, THQ puts out gold like Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander and they fall off the charts within a couple of months yet EA releases a unfinished rehash pos and they sell millions milking the name of the franchises they buy. If EALA actually made an RTS with their own brand new IP I think it would sell awful. (LOTR BFME doesn't count as a unique IP and that didn't sell good anyway)
mobius1aic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mobius1aic
Member since 2006 • 3533 Posts
[QUOTE="phatkav"][QUOTE="daftpunk_mk5"][QUOTE="ikwal"][QUOTE="basersx"]

daftpunk_mk5

Well shooters are not about creating a virtual self.  Sims is like Myspace.  It gives the user the ability to create a virtual persona, and that seems very popular these days.  World of Warcraft and MMOs are the same way, and other games with charactar creation seem to do well.  Rainbow Six Vegas on 360 has a great persistent charactar creation feature that works very well and it really hooked me into that game.  Customizability and charactar creation are things people want these days.   

eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 eitremn
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts

Well shooters are not about creating a virtual self.  Sims is like Myspace.  It gives the user the ability to create a virtual persona, and that seems very popular these days.  World of Warcraft and MMOs are the same way, and other games with charactar creation seem to do well.  Rainbow Six Vegas on 360 has a great persistent charactar creation feature that works very well and it really hooked me into that game.  Customizability and charactar creation are things people want these days.   mobius1aic

yes they are, and why shouldn't they have them?  it gives the user the chance to play the game the way they want to.  not how some developer thinks they should play.  i don't think it's just character creation, i think it has a lot to do with the freedoms that you are allowed in video games.  anymore, linear video games should be a thing of the past.

mobius1aic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mobius1aic
Member since 2006 • 3533 Posts

[QUOTE="mobius1aic"]Well shooters are not about creating a virtual self. Sims is like Myspace. It gives the user the ability to create a virtual persona, and that seems very popular these days. World of Warcraft and MMOs are the same way, and other games with charactar creation seem to do well. Rainbow Six Vegas on 360 has a great persistent charactar creation feature that works very well and it really hooked me into that game. Customizability and charactar creation are things people want these days. eitremn

yes they are, and why shouldn't they have them? it gives the user the chance to play the game the way they want to. not how some developer thinks they should play. i don't think it's just character creation, i think it has a lot to do with the freedoms that you are allowed in video games. anymore, linear video games should be a thing of the past.

Well what I really meant is shooters tend to focus on a charactar in way that's not meant for customization.  Gordan Freeman and the Pointman are who they are.  However you can build a shooter around the idea of a user created charactar.  When a game is story driven and the charactar and it's persona or synonymous with who they are, I like it that way.  However in the case of let's say a non shooter such as Oblivion and games like BF2 and 2142, charactar creation is a great thing to have and I support it fully.  But yeah, non linear games need to go away, except in the few cases where they are acceptable for telling a story specifically in a certain manner.
frizzyman0292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frizzyman0292
Member since 2007 • 2855 Posts

Horrible list! People are buying horrible games wtf!

brood_aliance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 brood_aliance
Member since 2004 • 1005 Posts
[QUOTE="daftpunk_mk5"][QUOTE="phatkav"][QUOTE="daftpunk_mk5"][QUOTE="ikwal"][QUOTE="basersx"]

mobius1aic

Well shooters are not about creating a virtual self. Sims is like Myspace. It gives the user the ability to create a virtual persona, and that seems very popular these days. World of Warcraft and MMOs are the same way, and other games with charactar creation seem to do well. Rainbow Six Vegas on 360 has a great persistent charactar creation feature that works very well and it really hooked me into that game. Customizability and charactar creation are things people want these days.

Girls are buying Sims.  Everyone of my girl friends only play Sim, and most buy every single one.  

Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts

1. Warcraft III Battle Chest-Blizzard

phatkav

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'M AM INVICIBLE!!! 

PaverPopPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PaverPopPC
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

I swear the Sims is ridiculous. All their expansions are the same game, yet they still can place 5 or 6 games in a top 20.

Flat out ridiculous.

We need some new games, quick.

Spindry69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Spindry69
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts
It's kinda funny, I think the main reason most of us are adverse to the Sims is the fact that we expect a PC game to have guns, swords or occasionally a flying or submersible vehicle with guns in it, where we can conquer our unworthy foes and feel mighty, while we collect phat loot and level.
SYdoggXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#23 SYdoggXxX
Member since 2005 • 2013 Posts

because normal people have no tastes in games daftpunk_mk5

So, assuming you consider yourself to have a "good taste" in games, you're not normal?