Thinking about upgrading my GPU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

Currently I have an ATI HD 7950, I know its a pretty solid card, but is there anything on the AMD side that is better? My card is about 2 years or so old, but I don't have a problem running games at all.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

but I don't have a problem running games at all.

So why upgrade?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

So why upgrade?

Well, I am not sure if my GPU is getting dated or not. I think there are only a few AMD GPUs that beat it, but overall I am very happy. My buddy was the one that put the whole idea of upgrading in my head by saying my GPU was pretty out dated.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

So why upgrade?

Well, I am not sure if my GPU is getting dated or not. I think there are only a few AMD GPUs that beat it, but overall I am very happy. My buddy was the one that put the whole idea of upgrading in my head by saying my GPU was pretty out dated.

Don't listen to your buddy.

If the games are running smooth and you're happy with the card, then why spend money?

Upgrade when you see that you are turning down the graphics too much and games are lagging.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

So why upgrade?

If the games are running smooth and you're happy with the card, then why spend money?

Upgrade when you see that you are turning down the graphics too much and games are lagging.

Thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

So why upgrade?

Thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it.

At least wait til the 300 series of Radeon to officially release..

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

So why upgrade?

Depends on your games that you play, if everything is alright I don't see a need in upgrade unless you see some sweet deal;

What beats your GPU? R9 280, R9 280X, R9 285, R9 290, R9 290X

Nvidia side? GTX760, 770, 780, 780Ti, 960, 970, 980.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

So why upgrade?

+1.

Your GPU is fine if it plays games to your liking. I still have my GTX 570s - they've been out roughly 12 or 16 months longer than your 7950 and I have no reason to upgrade. They provide a solid performance for me.

Only time to upgrade is when you can't play at an acceptable level of performance you like.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@neatfeatguy said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

+1.

Your GPU is fine if it plays games to your liking. I still have my GTX 570s - they've been out roughly 12 or 16 months longer than your 7950 and I have no reason to upgrade. They provide a solid performance for me.

Only time to upgrade is when you can't play at an acceptable level of performance you like.

Exactly. 2x 570s and no need to upgrade. As long as the frames are above 80 for me im happy

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

If you really want to upgrade, you could get an R9 290 for really cheap right now.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

For 1080p there still isn't much of a reason to upgrade from a 7950 IMO. Unless you demand every bell and whistle in the most demanding games of course.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

Currently I have an ATI HD 7950, I know its a pretty solid card, but is there anything on the AMD side that is better? My card is about 2 years or so old, but I don't have a problem running games at all.

That card is still far from obsolete. Wait until 16nm cards arrive next year, then upgrade and get a proper generational leap in performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
@insane_metalist said:

If you really want to upgrade, you could get an R9 290 for really cheap right now.

I would consider that a waste of money in this time and point.. The radeon 300 series is only a few months away, and the 7950 is more than capable of performing well until then.