Thinking about buying W2 have not played W1.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

I really like the look of this game but am worried i will have zero idea what is going on.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Why don't you play the first Witcher? It's cheap, and it's really great. Download some high res texture mods too. If not, find a summary of the story or something. But you will really appreciate it more if you played both games.
FFXI-Blk-Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FFXI-Blk-Mage
Member since 2003 • 417 Posts

I was wondering the same thing, tried to get into W1, but I just couldn't do it. Played really clunky to me, didn't enjoy the combat system, and the UI was incredibly ugly (shallow, I know, but it still bothered me).

Not going to knock the story, (obviously), because I didn't give it a try, so I was wondering if things would make sense if I jump into W2.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Why don't you play the first Witcher? It's cheap, and it's really great. Download some high res texture mods too. If not, find a summary of the story or something. But you will really appreciate it more if you played both games.

High Res Texture Mods? WHERE?
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Why don't you play the first Witcher? It's cheap, and it's really great. Download some high res texture mods too. If not, find a summary of the story or something. But you will really appreciate it more if you played both games.Gamesterpheonix
High Res Texture Mods? WHERE?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/witchercharactermodels/downloadsEnjoy.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

You can play TW2 without playing TW its a fine title by itself, however TW is a great title to play.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Or you could ditch The Witcher entirely and stick with Dragon Age which is superior in every way.

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

Or you could ditch The Witcher entirely and stick with Dragon Age which is superior in every way.

Starshine_M2A2

I have played DA.. :)

ShyGuy0504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShyGuy0504
Member since 2009 • 1138 Posts

I'm thinking about playing TW2 without beating the first game. I got The Witcher last year and played until near the end of the 2nd chapter and then just lost interest and gave up. Then a few months ago I tried playing it again and got a little into Chapter 3 before giving up yet again. I've got about 17 hours logged in the game but just don't feel like playing anymore. Should I just skip and play TW2 or try to complete the first? I've heard people say TW2 is better if you've beaten the first game.

BodomArmy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BodomArmy666
Member since 2004 • 354 Posts

the witcher 2 is good, but there is so much plot it is rediculous! I have played the first, it was a while ago, and I am on chapter 2 in the Witcher 2 and have no idea what is going on. The main story is easy to follow, but there are things that stray from the main story that you need to complete in order to move forward with the story. It has so much going on, so much characters, so many names, and way to much politics for me to follow! I love the way it plays, combat is fluid and fun, graphics are pretty decent, but it makes it a chore to play for me since I cant follow the story.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

Starshine_M2A2
Highly disagree.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Buy the original first. It's cheap and one heck of a game as well.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I like The Witcher from what I have played of it but the peformance is really terrible.
l0ner_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 l0ner_1
Member since 2003 • 353 Posts

Starshine_M2A2
Worst... advice... ever...
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

l0ner_1

Worst... advice... ever...

Whereas your posts are so intelligent and informative I can barely contain my glee...

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I'm actually playing W2 without having played W1 cause I couldn't stand the combat... I did watch a summary of W1 though to keep me up to date and it was enough to get a bit of insight of what I missed.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

oh and it's TW & TW2 btw... we don't cut corners around here.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trastamad03

PcGamingRig

TW2 and TW2 are both RPGs, now which one is The Witcher 2 and which one is Two Worlds 2.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RK-Mara

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

trastamad03

TW2 and TW2 are both RPGs, now which one is The Witcher 2 and which one is Two Worlds 2.

It depends on the context. If someone says ''TW2 is meh'', he probably means Two Worlds 2. If someone says ''TW2 is the best RPG in years'', he definitely means The Witcher 2.
Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deathykins
Member since 2007 • 1412 Posts

Definitely play the first Witcher game before the second. Both of them are, in my opinion, the two best story driven RPG's to release in years. Far superior to anything BioWare has developed recently.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I'm thinking about playing TW2 without beating the first game. I got The Witcher last year and played until near the end of the 2nd chapter and then just lost interest and gave up. Then a few months ago I tried playing it again and got a little into Chapter 3 before giving up yet again. I've got about 17 hours logged in the game but just don't feel like playing anymore. Should I just skip and play TW2 or try to complete the first? I've heard people say TW2 is better if you've beaten the first game.

ShyGuy0504

Same thing happen with me except I gave the game three tries. Just couldn't finish it. Boring story with bland characters and mind numbing click fest combat stopped me from finishing it. Some people like it, though I can't understand how. Then again there millions of people who like Justin Bieber so who am I to judge. The game for me was just terrible and thankfully can be skipped.

The second game is a complete 180 degrees from the first game. Good combat combine with a much more thrilling storyline.

Also, for those that want to know more about the story I suggest you read the books. They are much better than any of the games. They also make you wonder why the game devs put so much emphasis on Triss when she's not Geralts main love interest.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I actually prefer a lot of things from the first game like the combat system and ability to use potions in combat, I don't think you need to play it to play the second but I do wonder if you would be able to stick with the second if you couldn't make it through the first.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trastamad03
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

RK-Mara

It depends on the context. If someone says ''TW2 is meh'', he probably means Two Worlds 2. If someone says ''TW2 is the best RPG in years'', he definitely means The Witcher 2.

You clever... you clever... [gives e-cookie]
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I played it without playing the first one and I was fine

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RK-Mara
I just don't understand why anyone would skip the first one :S
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
I installed the graphical mods I found for the game and they're awesome!!! I love em. Does a great job. Also got this companion though he is ridiculously overpowered. rofl. I hardly have to kill anything myself...I think I might uninstall him...though he might be useful later...lol. I know...its bad.