The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Will Support PhysX and DX11

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mitu123 (154684 posts) -

Our friends over at PCGamesHardware have revealed some interesting new, tech, information about the third part of the The Witcher series. According to PCGH, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will support Nvidias PhysX technology, as well as DX11 features such as tessellation, Global Illumination and MSAA.

Whats interesting here is that CD Projekt RED decided to ditch Havok and stick with Nvidias PhysX technology. This is a nice surprise at least for Nvidia users and it seems that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will most probably offer hardware accelerated support for those with Nvidia cards, as it will take advantage of Apex modules for cloth simulation, and will support a realistic simulation of destruction (for example, flying debris) as well as a simulation of fluids like water.

Were still a long way until we can get a taste of what the real The Witcher 3 game will look like. The screenshots we posted yesterday were based on the old, DX9, renderer that CD Projekt used to prove that the game will at least look as good as The Witcher 2, despite the fact that it will offer a world as big as those of Skyrim and other sandbox games.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is planned for a 2014 release on PC and next-generation consoles!

Linky, and all of this is fantastic news.

#2 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26273 posts) -

Looks like my 7850 will be replaced sooner than I thought. Included Oculus Rift support and CDPR can have all of my monies.

#3 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -

cain-smile-o.gif

#4 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
670 sli here I come, or maybe even Maxwell in 2014. haha
#5 Posted by MBirdy88 (9217 posts) -
Yet another unrunnable witcher game at max settings.
#6 Posted by pelvist (5297 posts) -

Yet another unrunnable witcher game at max settings.MBirdy88

Turn the settings down then?

#7 Posted by MBirdy88 (9217 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Yet another unrunnable witcher game at max settings.pelvist

Whats the point in advertising it then.... witchers optimization is horrible.
#8 Posted by biggest_loser (24180 posts) -
Will this game support Dx9 or 10?!
#9 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Well considering how this game isn't even coming out on current generation consoles (only PC, PS4 and Xbox- whatever they call it), I'd say this was a given.

I'd be more shocked if it wasn't pulling all the stops.

#10 Posted by Ben-Buja (2796 posts) -

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Yet another unrunnable witcher game at max settings.MBirdy88

Turn off ubersampling.

Also DX11 should improve the performance a lot if they use it efficiently.

#11 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10895 posts) -
Oh well... I'm not making a new computer until 2015. So I guess I'll have to settle with the "non- Nvidia hardware accelerated" PhysX.
#12 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

By Destruction they must've meant the APEX Destruction from UE3.
And good to see PhysX's Particle Based Fluid Simulation will finally be used in a game.
Next Gen will be awesome. 

#13 Posted by pelvist (5297 posts) -

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

Oh right so because it didnt run well enough for you on max settings, the optimisation was horrible? :lol: :lol:

Sure thing...

#14 Posted by MBirdy88 (9217 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="pelvist"]

pelvist

Oh right so because it didnt run well enough for you on max settings, the optimisation was horrible? :lol: :lol:

Sure thing...

It runs worse than any equivilant DX11 game... so yea, considering its a very linear path'd small scale game to render I would say thats true. Unless you are going to say to me that it looks better than Crysis...? good job.
#15 Posted by kozzy1234 (35379 posts) -

sweeeeet

#16 Posted by mitu123 (154684 posts) -

Will this game support Dx9 or 10?! biggest_loser
Not so sure about that.

#17 Posted by pelvist (5297 posts) -

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Whats the point in advertising it then.... witchers optimization is horrible.MBirdy88

Sure thing...

It runs worse than any equivilant DX11 game... so yea, considering its a very linear path'd small scale game to render I would say thats true. Unless you are going to say to me that it looks better than Crysis...? good job.

Thanks.

The game is optimised very well. The fact that it runs ok on 7-8 year old hardware is testiment to that. The game suffered from a bug with Nvidia 3D vision drivers which effected performance, that bug was fixed with its first patch. Other than that the only performance eater is Ubersampling ( aka supersampling ) which is a performance hog for any game and has an ON/OFF option. I expect you will still argue that its poorly optimised though, so ill just leave you to get over it.

#18 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26273 posts) -

Yet another unrunnable witcher game at max settings.MBirdy88

Runs perfectly fine maxed out for me.

#19 Posted by GarGx1 (3917 posts) -
Games that make high end PC's weep silicon tears are good :D
#20 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="pelvist"]

That is true, even though I'm a Witcher fan. The Witcher 1 had memory leaks.. I remember and weird stuff going on when I played that game, performance wise. The Witcher 2, even though a DX9 with ubersampling off, wasn't max-able. But it was far from horrible. TW3 as an open-world game will need good optimization. I'd hate to do all that exploring only to suffer from poor framerates with strong GPU(s). In CDPR, I have faith. We'll see.
#21 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Nice, i'll be looking forward to it. Dx11 is a very welcome bonus. Tesselated rocks would look very nice

#22 Posted by nutcrackr (12893 posts) -
not physX again, so sad
#23 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Very nice, glad to hear this. My computer can scream in pain about it later when it comes out!

#24 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Elann2008

That is true, even though I'm a Witcher fan. The Witcher 1 had memory leaks.. I remember and weird stuff going on when I played that game, performance wise. The Witcher 2, even though a DX9 with ubersampling off, wasn't max-able. But it was far from horrible. TW3 as an open-world game will need good optimization. I'd hate to do all that exploring only to suffer from poor framerates with strong GPU(s). In CDPR, I have faith. We'll see.

My minimal experience with TW2 definitely showed some bad optimization. I'm on a laptop, but it does surpass all of the advertised "minimum requirements" for TW2, but I couldn't get more than 17 fps, even at bare minimum settings, everything off or set as low as it goes, and 800x600 resolution. And it is  not  pretty at those settings. Nothing to justify that kind of performance. I run most games at far less than max settings, but I can run Crysis 1 and 2, Metro 2033, all the Stalker games, and others at settings that look far better than TW2 at minimum, and maintain 30-ish fps.

#25 Posted by BPoole96 (22815 posts) -
I hope TressFX is added too. As great as The Witcher 2 looked, the hair looked pretty bad.
#26 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -
I thought Witcher 2 ran great... this should run pretty well too. I'll probably get it on PS4 though to be safe.
#27 Posted by II-Siamak-II (480 posts) -

Looks like I have to order me another Asus GTX 670 for SLI, damn where is that money when I need it lol

#28 Posted by II-Siamak-II (480 posts) -

I thought Witcher 2 ran great... this should run pretty well too. I'll probably get it on PS4 though to be safe.SaltyMeatballs

Im pretty sure it's the other way around.

#29 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15590 posts) -
[QUOTE="pelvist"]

Better than Skyrim.
#30 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
Will this game support Dx9 or 10?! biggest_loser
No offense, but i hope not... It's time Devs moved on from DX9 and 10...
#31 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Better than Skyrim.

At launch, sure, Skyrim was a mess. But quickly after that, they released (Nvidia) drivers that patched it up GOOD. I was running 60fps without a hitch, and still do.
#32 Posted by mitu123 (154684 posts) -

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Better than Skyrim.

Have you played Skyrim after the patches? It's smooth as butter maxed out, Witcher 1 surely wasn't optimized well, and Witcher 2 still kills multi-gpus with Ubersampling on. I think 4 Titans may have a shot to not go below 60FPS at 1080p.

#33 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5504 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Yet another unrunnable witcher game at max settings.pelvist

Or just turn off Uber Sampling. The game isn't THAT hard to run with that turned the **** off.
#34 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5504 posts) -

Nice, i'll be looking forward to it. Dx11 is a very welcome bonus. Tesselated rocks would look very nice

seanmcloughlin
What about tessellated nipples!
#35 Posted by silversix_ (16637 posts) -
This is the game that i will upgrade my 2011 rig for.
#36 Posted by MBirdy88 (9217 posts) -

Sure thing...

pelvist

Thanks.

The game is optimised very well. The fact that it runs ok on 7-8 year old hardware is testiment to that. The game suffered from a bug with Nvidia 3D vision drivers which effected performance, that bug was fixed with its first patch. Other than that the only performance eater is Ubersampling ( aka supersampling ) which is a performance hog for any game and has an ON/OFF option. I expect you will still argue that its poorly optimised though, so ill just leave you to get over it.

Its one thing to like a game but to defend its clear flaw (optimization) is just pure fanboyism when even people below your post as I read now are agreeing with this. Its not just supersampeling.... even with that off its performance is alot worse than equivilant games.
#37 Posted by mitu123 (154684 posts) -
This is the game that i will upgrade my 2011 rig for.silversix_
For me I'll throw in a 3rd 670...which would require me to get a new mobo...
#38 Posted by KHAndAnime (14945 posts) -
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

PernicioEnigma
What about tessellated nipples!

Only then will DX11 have truly innovated gaming as we know it.
#39 Posted by The_Capitalist (10838 posts) -

The Witcher 2 ran fine on my GTX 560 Ti... at max settings, 1080p.

Well, this probably means that I will be sticking with Nvidia for my next upgrade, then. 

#40 Posted by rhazzy (1516 posts) -

And good to see PhysX's Particle Based Fluid Simulation will finally be used in a game.

faizan_faizan

The fluid simulation was used in several games...Alice MR comes first in to my mind... 

#41 Posted by rhazzy (1516 posts) -

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Whats the point in advertising it then.... witchers optimization is horrible.mitu123

Better than Skyrim.

Have you played Skyrim after the patches? It's smooth as butter maxed out, Witcher 1 surely wasn't optimized well, and Witcher 2 still kills multi-gpus with Ubersampling on. I think 4 Titans may have a shot to not go below 60FPS at 1080p.

U can't do 4way SLI with Titan cards...only 2 way or 3 way.

#42 Posted by mitu123 (154684 posts) -

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"] Better than Skyrim. rhazzy

Really? Crap, 3 way it is, and then hope to not go below 60FPS as well.

#43 Posted by rhazzy (1516 posts) -

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Have you played Skyrim after the patches? It's smooth as butter maxed out, Witcher 1 surely wasn't optimized well, and Witcher 2 still kills multi-gpus with Ubersampling on. I think 4 Titans may have a shot to not go below 60FPS at 1080p.

mitu123

Really? Crap, 3 way it is, and then hope to not go below 60FPS as well.

Are u mad?U are going to buy 3 Titans for this game???
Can i be your best friend? :D 

#44 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]I thought Witcher 2 ran great... this should run pretty well too. I'll probably get it on PS4 though to be safe.II-Siamak-II

Im pretty sure it's the other way around.

Considering the amazing visuals, I don't think so.
#45 Posted by Mozuckint (831 posts) -
I hope TressFX is added too. As great as The Witcher 2 looked, the hair looked pretty bad.BPoole96
So much this. The hair and beard must be represented in their full glories.
#46 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

rhazzy

The fluid simulation was used in several games...Alice MR comes first in to my mind... 

Yes, I searched it. Alice MR really has used the full power of PhysX.
#47 Posted by NoodleFighter (8049 posts) -

Can't wait to get a maxwell series card :)

#48 Posted by nikeswoosh (901 posts) -

Looks like my 7850 will be replaced sooner than I thought. Included Oculus Rift support and CDPR can have all of my monies.

ChubbyGuy40
Man i just got my 7850.........................
#49 Posted by wis3boi (32078 posts) -

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] It runs worse than any equivilant DX11 game... so yea, considering its a very linear path'd small scale game to render I would say thats true. Unless you are going to say to me that it looks better than Crysis...? good job.MBirdy88

Thanks.

Its one thing to like a game but to defend its clear flaw (optimization) is just pure fanboyism when even people below your post as I read now are agreeing with this. Its not just supersampeling.... even with that off its performance is alot worse than equivilant games.

I maxed it no issues with a 4870 and a core 2 duo, before the enhanced edition.  Now with my 570-turned 580 and my 1100T it breezes through it as well

#50 Posted by kozzy1234 (35379 posts) -

Is it time for this game yet? hehe