The Witcher 2 - Steam or GoG?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by padaporra (3440 posts) -

I only ever used Steam to buy online games, however, I saw that The Witcher 2 is 75% OFF on GoG. It turns out though that it has the same discount on Steam for this weekend.

I'd buy on Steam, but it seens that there are a lot of extras in the GoG version that I'm not sure all of them come with the Steam version.

What do you guys recommend? 

#2 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4356 posts) -

I'd personally go with the GOG version as it is DRM free.

#3 Posted by Big_Red_Button (5479 posts) -

The feature that I like most about Steam is the in-game overlay that lets you use your web browser and community stuff without minimizing the game.

Luckily you can add any non-steam game and easily access the overlay.

Buy it on GoG.

#4 Posted by lostrib (42873 posts) -

Buy it on Steam, and then you can use your steam key to get a backup DRM free version from GOG

#5 Posted by MonsieurX (31710 posts) -

Buy it on Steam, and then you can use your steam key to get a backup DRM free version from GOG

lostrib
Bingo! + extra wallpapers and such over GOG
#6 Posted by padaporra (3440 posts) -

lostrib

Thanks. 

#7 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Steam and get a free copy in GoG.
#8 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13652 posts) -

Support gog.  The more they make the more game developers will release their games DRM free with them.

#9 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
GOG is the way to go. Screw DRM.
#10 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

GOG. 

#11 Posted by lostrib (42873 posts) -

GOG is the way to go. Screw DRM.famicommander

Not in this case, with Steam you get both versions

#12 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20099 posts) -
I love all the GOG love in here. :D
#13 Posted by Unetteh (201 posts) -

lostrib

How do you do this? I cannot figure this out for some lame reason.

#14 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4356 posts) -

[QUOTE="famicommander"]GOG is the way to go. Screw DRM.lostrib

Yeah, but it's better to support GoG... Plus, who needs a steam version when they have a DRM free version?
#15 Posted by lostrib (42873 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"]GOG is the way to go. Screw DRM.Toxic-Seahorse

Yeah, but it's better to support GoG... Plus, who needs a steam version when they have a DRM free version?

Well CD Projekt owns GoG so they get the money regardless.  And some people like having all the steam integration 

#16 Posted by lostrib (42873 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Unetteh

http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

#17 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5445 posts) -

lostrib
Haha, oops - I bought it from steam AND GoG. Ah well, my moneys going to a good dev.
#18 Posted by iwilson1296 (2214 posts) -

just get the GoG version and call it a day, no point in messing with steam at all in this case

#19 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4356 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Well CD Projekt owns GoG so they get the money regardless.  And some people like having all the steam integration 

They don't get the same amount of money. Valve gets a cut of everything bought on Steam. Yes, CD Projekt gets money for the game if it's bought on steam, but not as much as if it were bought on GoG.

#20 Posted by RollinKaos (83 posts) -
Well since steam was noting they needed additional keys from the developer I went to GOG. For the same money and I didnt have to wait for the key . New to this genre of gaming always been a console guy so I am not sure if the DRM free version is a big deal to me or not.
#21 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

[QUOTE="Unetteh"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Hmm. Says my key for The Witcher 1 isn't valid. I bought it on steam the other day, with money I made selling gun skins in CSGO. Tried twice, with the key that steam shows me. No luck. :?

#22 Posted by m25105 (3135 posts) -
Get it from gog, they're the bros of gaming.
#23 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Unetteh"]

the_bi99man

Hmm. Says my key for The Witcher 1 isn't valid. I bought it on steam the other day, with money I made selling gun skins in CSGO. Tried twice, with the key that steam shows me. No luck. :?

You could send GoG the receipt of your purchase if you still have it. But first you need to follow the instructions here

That's what I did for get my DRM free Witcher 1 copy from them.
#24 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

Steam > GOG

#25 Posted by m25105 (3135 posts) -

Steam > GOG

Ricardomz
Lol. No.
#26 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Unetteh"]

the_bi99man

Try not to copy and paste, and type it in manually.
#27 Posted by krisk7 (90 posts) -

If you want to support CD Projekt then buy straigt from GOG. You can always re-download if required, transfer is very quick.

#28 Posted by True_Sounds (2902 posts) -

Going out of your way to support devs is so stupid omfg you people.  Buy it on steam, it's a better deal for you.  If GOG wanted to provide a better deal it would be cheaper than just a price match.  You'll prob get steam trading cards now or at some point if its not added yet, cause seems most games are patching that in.

#29 Posted by m25105 (3135 posts) -

Going out of your way to support devs is so stupid omfg you people.  Buy it on steam, it's a better deal for you.  If GOG wanted to provide a better deal it would be cheaper than just a price match.  You'll prob get steam trading cards now or at some point if its not added yet, cause seems most games are patching that in.

True_Sounds
Going out of your way to support every dev is wrong, going out of your way to support one dev that has proven themselves to be extremely friendly to the gaming community is not. All of the Witcher 2 dlcs have been free, the price on gog.com is in dollars making it cheaper for those that live in the EU. It's universal even, so if any aussies can confirm that it's cheap for them too would be great. Also buying the Witcher 2 gives you access to a ton of extra stuff. It doesn't have intrusive DRM and even if you bought it on steam you can use the key to get a free copy on gog.com. If any dev is worth supporting it's the Polish guys from cd project red.
#30 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4356 posts) -

True_Sounds
Some of us are nice people and like to reward those companies that actually care about gamers.
#31 Posted by lostrib (42873 posts) -

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

m25105

Going out of your way to support every dev is wrong, going out of your way to support one dev that has proven themselves to be extremely friendly to the gaming community is not. All of the Witcher 2 dlcs have been free, the price on gog.com is in dollars making it cheaper for those that live in the EU. It's universal even, so if any aussies can confirm that it's cheap for them too would be great. Also buying the Witcher 2 gives you access to a ton of extra stuff. It doesn't have intrusive DRM and even if you bought it on steam you can use the key to get a free copy on gog.com. If any dev is worth supporting it's the Polish guys from cd project red.

That was kind of the point, if he gets it on steam he gets both versions so he can take advantage of steam interface or trading cards if added and he gets a DRM free copy as well in case of emergencies

#32 Posted by iHarlequin (1928 posts) -

GoG is the DD platform of the same company that made the game, CD Projekt Red. I got mine on Steam on a summer sale, but if I were you I'd get it on GoG - their policy is awesome (DRM-free games, that is). Besides, if you buy it on GoG they won't share a part of the revenue with Valve, which needs it much less than they do :P.

Edit: valid point some posters made, if you buy it on Steam you'll get the trading cards for the game. Weigh that in on your decision :P.