The Witcher 2 blue screen and reboot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sordidus
Member since 2008 • 2036 Posts

Hi all, so the problem is that after just some minutes of playing I'll get a blue screen. I already changed textures to medium, disabled all effects but it still happens. It's just with this game. Anyone with the same problem? My OS is windows xp 32-bit 4gb ram, I've read something about 32-bit OS and 3gb ram problems. Thanks.

Skullcandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Skullcandy
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

I had problems until I updated my card driver. Guessing you've tried this already? What about a system overheat? All I can suggest if you've done this is to set everything as low as possible and increase settings until you figure out what works. Sounds like a vid card issue though.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Update sound card drivers, video card drivers and get the latest version of dx9 and see if that helps.

4 GB of ram shouldnt cause you to have bluescreens,unless your ram is faulty. XP 32 bit will only use something like 3.33gb of the 4gb of RAM though, and im pretty sure this includes video memory on your graphics card in the total.

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sordidus

I had problems until I updated my card driver. Guessing you've tried this already? What about a system overheat? All I can suggest if you've done this is to set everything as low as possible and increase settings until you figure out what works. Sounds like a vid card issue though.

Skullcandy

It isn't overheating and I already disabled all effects and have textures on medium, I didn't updated drivers though.

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sordidus

Update sound card drivers, video card drivers and get the latest version of dx9 and see if that helps.

4 GB of ram shouldnt cause you to have bluescreens,unless your ram is faulty. XP 32 bit will only use something like 3.33gb of the 4gb of RAM though, and im pretty sure this includes video memory on your graphics card in the total.

pelvist

I know how ram works but I've read about crashing issues on 32-bit OS with more than 2Gb RAM in this game.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Is anything OC'd? If so, try running the game at stock speeds
Spoonoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Spoonoop
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

well, you could try taking 1GB of RAM out of your comp and see what happens. Also you can try downloading a tool called "WhoCrashed." It may give you an idea of what is causing your comp to crash. Here is the link http://download.cnet.com/WhoCrashed/3000-2094_4-75205821.html

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

Try playing it on Windowed mode, it works for me

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Wouldn't the best solution just be to read the minidump and out what's crashing?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

I know this helped me with Bad Company 2 blue screens, the program told me that punkbuster.exe was the problem. Perhaps this can tell you what kind of thing is actually causing this.

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sordidus

Try playing it on Windowed mode, it works for me

guildclaws

Did you got the blue screen before changing to window mode?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
If you have anything overclocked, reset your BIOS. Reset everything and start from there. But please make sure you write down all your overclocks on a notepad or save it to a profile where you could access it later. I hope you fix this issue. Cheers!
Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sordidus

If you have anything overclocked, reset your BIOS. Reset everything and start from there. But please make sure you write down all your overclocks on a notepad or save it to a profile where you could access it later. I hope you fix this issue. Cheers!Elann2008
I have only RAM and graphics card overclocked but nothing too high. And from what I've seen there is many people playing the game with overclocked systems without this problem, maybe this is just windows XP thing?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]If you have anything overclocked, reset your BIOS. Reset everything and start from there. But please make sure you write down all your overclocks on a notepad or save it to a profile where you could access it later. I hope you fix this issue. Cheers!Sordidus

I have only RAM and graphics card overclocked but nothing too high. And from what I've seen there is many people playing the game with overclocked systems without this problem, maybe this is just windows XP thing?

Not sure, but a faulty or overclocked RAM can easily give you blue-screen. The graphics card shouldn't be blue-screening you. If anything you would see blips of artifacts if it was a bad overclock. But I reckon you should reset both, JUST to see if it stops the crashes. Give it a try mate.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Whether or not it's an OC issue you gotta realize that someone else can have the exact same component as you and have different success with the same OC. It's frustrating but that's how it works, just a little FYI...
dragonballz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dragonballz4
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

You got Bsod it usually happened cause of some hardware or device faliure where windows decides to shutdown to prevent damage.

try to find your solution using this and google it.It helped me my hard drive was failing that caused it

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

Overclocking is a delicate thing, and it invloves not just the card itself.

if ram itself is the issue, it won't just cause problem during gaming, it'll be causing problems all the time.

memory leak might cause game crashing, but not necessarily system reboot.

the most likely reason I can think of is the overheating. OC itself oftentime cause game crash, but not system reboot.

but if OC generates the kind of heat that your system (not just the gpu fan, but the air flow of the whole computer) cannot deal with, the system itself will crash.

oftentime this kind of overheting occurs suddenly when the game demands the video card to run intensely.