the question: SupCom or Command and Conquer 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for wookieeassassin
wookieeassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wookieeassassin
Member since 2006 • 1678 Posts

I have played both demos and my impressions are as follows:

SupCom- huge, fun, although it can be a bit hard to manage 

production while ordering your units around, unless of course you zoom out so the

only thing you can see are the icons of those units which is annoying

Command and Conquer 3- fun, cannot zoom out far enough, and I have not 

yet figured out how to rotate the view with the mouse, I have just been using the numpad

and it is kind of hard to follow your units.

I really liked Company of Heroes single player and the multiplayer is fun.. that is if I can ever 

get into a server..  

Which one of these RTS games would you recommend as I am looking for the best single player 

game, with the most replay value (not taking MP into account).  I do not take MP into account 

for PC games as with CoH if the single player wasn't good I would be pretty angry because I

can barely ever even get into a server to play.  I like 1vs1 and 2 vs2 games but thsoe are usually 

locked servers and anything 4 or over players is usually laggy and is too big for me to be able to 

micromanage well.  Maybe if I was better at micromanaging but I am not a master RTS guy.

So SupCom or CnC3? 

Deinonych

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Deinonych
Member since 2002 • 142 Posts
I suspect C&C3 will have the better single-player campaign.  Supreme Commander's is pretty ho-hum.
KyanMehwulfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KyanMehwulfe
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts
I'm only really interested in C&C3 for the story campaign and nostalgia. The gameplay doesn't impress after the strong dynamics of COH. It feels a little simple. The UI is too big as well. It's not streamlined and small enough for my tastes.
Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts
Save up some money by working and then get both.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58453 Posts

Supreme Commander: skirmish and multiplayer are the only long-term benefits of this game, everything else wears out after a while (still a great game)

C&C 3: Amazing story, and classic C&C gameplay.  If you played the previous titles and are tired of the traditional gameplay, then dont get it.  If you want a classic, "father-of-RTS-genre" experience with great singelplayer and good multiplayer, then get C&C 3.

MoeMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MoeMania
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

Supreme Commander: skirmish and multiplayer are the only long-term benefits of this game, everything else wears out after a while (still a great game)

C&C 3: Amazing story, and classic C&C gameplay. If you played the previous titles and are tired of the traditional gameplay, then dont get it. If you want a classic, "father-of-RTS-genre" experience with great singelplayer and good multiplayer, then get C&C 3.

mrbojangles25
I can't say I find the cheesy story lines of the CnC series entertaining in the slightest and if he was a fan of the story behind the CnC series I'm sure he would have never made this thread. It breaks down to what game you like more wookie, both demos show you what you get, just pick what gameplay you liked better, I find the later missions in Supreme Commander single player very satisfying.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58453 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

C&C 3: Amazing story, and classic C&C gameplay. If you played the previous titles and are tired of the traditional gameplay, then dont get it. If you want a classic, "father-of-RTS-genre" experience with great singelplayer and good multiplayer, then get C&C 3.

MoeMania

I can't say I find the cheesy story lines of the CnC series entertaining in the slightest and if he was a fan of the story behind the CnC series I'm sure he would have never made this thread. It breaks down to what game you like more wookie, both demos show you what you get, just pick what gameplay you liked better, I find the later missions in Supreme Commander single player very satisfying.

Ya, I am a sucker for cheezy stories and movies, I gotta admit.  They Live, Starship Troopers, and....the C&C movie clips.  All favorites of mine.  I mean, taking your orders from Kane and then Stalin in Red Alert...does it get any better for a sadistic military commander such as myself?

Avatar image for wookieeassassin
wookieeassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wookieeassassin
Member since 2006 • 1678 Posts
the video clips and the news reports and stuff in Command and COnquer 3 demo were pretty cool and it made it feel like it was part of a movie. I have only played the tutorial and the (I think) GDI demo level. The thing that annoyed me w/ CnC3 was that I cannot rotate that camera without using the numpad.. is there a modifier button like alt that allows you to use the mouse to rotate?? In Rome:Total War I remember that there was either a modifier button that when you pressed it it would allow you to just move left or right and not rotate or you could rotate the direction you wanted to move and just move forward and rotate back. In CnC3 you just move left, right, forward, back and you have to use the numpad to rotate unless I just haven't figured out how to do it yet. I have never played a CnC game and the only RTS games I have ever played (the full versions I have bought, are CoH and Rome:TW) Supreme Commander is huge but you aren't as close to your troops and it can get hard to manage on such a large scale. I really do not want to get both as I don't feel like laying down $110-120 at one time for some games. The only games I am considering buying are HL2:Ep2, HL2:Ep3, Crysis, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Brothers in Arms:Hell's Highway (although I might just rent for the X360) and STALKER and in the end I might not buy more than half of them.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Supcom i found boring, takes forever to build stuff and takes even longer to send them to enemy since the maps are so hugh. Maybe be more fun with 8 players but that demo really didn't do anything for me.

C&C3 I own all the previous ones and loved them all and got my ass handed to me in skirmish which was cool since generals is too easy for me now. I think i prefer building with units than a menu but still looked like a kick ass game. Getting that one for sure.

MoeMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MoeMania
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

Supcom i found boring, takes forever to build stuff and takes even longer to send them to enemy since the maps are so hugh. Maybe be more fun with 8 players but that demo really didn't do anything for me.

C&C3 I own all the previous ones and loved them all and got my ass handed to me in skirmish which was cool since generals is too easy for me now. I think i prefer building with units than a menu but still looked like a kick ass game. Getting that one for sure.

Sleepyz

I think the biggest problem Supreme Commander has is so many noobs play the game for 20 minutes or so and then come and cry online that the game is slow only because they have no clue what they are doing. The game is actually extremely fast paced and while it does have some huge maps it also has plenty of small typical maps that result in 15 minute games. On top of this there is a mode built into the game you can activate to double the resources, theres a prebuild base mode that starts you off with a base and there is even a + or - speed adjustment so in all honestly, no offense, but anyone who says Supreme Commander is slow is very ignorant and hasn't a clue about it.

CnC 3 would be great I think if they took time to balance the game, get the pace right and give units unique micro, but they did none of that.

1) The balance between factions is horrendous

2) The balance within factions is horrendous, most of the units in any given faction at the moment don't serve a purpose turning the game into a spam fest of the top units.

3) The pacing is awful, you get the games whole tech tree in a couple of minutes which adds to problem number 2 as this makes virtually all of the games early units useless in the blink of an eye and the demo uses a small blue zone, low resource map so this problem will be far greater on bigger more heavily resourced maps.

4) Almost all of the units move extremely slow and the units that can move fast are just so underpowered they are really worthless, things the developers spoke of like flanking and things of that nature are not here, nor is the unique micro every unit in Generals presented you, for the most part you micro all of the units the same way now, it's a big step back from Generals and likely was the result of the decision to put the game on 360 as well as the great micro Generals brought would be impossible on the 360 remote.

5)The day after the demo came out EALA announced they started work on the first patch, meaning the demo should be a mirror representation in regard to all these issues. EA is also known for having some of the worst patching/support of any game company so these issues could very well never be solved. 

Quent1015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Quent1015
Member since 2004 • 507 Posts
I'd suggest getting Supreme Commander. I have it, and it's probably the best RTS I've ever played. I mean, just the scale of things is astonishing, but then there is the strategy involved with it. SupCom is more of a thinking man's game, but it's great. I've played the CnC3 demo, and I didn't like it all that much (especially after playing SupCom). The whole thing just seems too scaled down and...I dunno how to say it, but inefficient (can't explain it).
natebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 natebayne
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts

Supreme Commander > CnC3

I am sorry .. but its the truth. CnC3 was nothing more than an graphics upgrade. DONT GET ME WRONG... I have been a huge fan of the CnC series since its roots... but come on.... come up with something new.

When it comes to single player... RTS games dont do it for me.. at least not anymore. Supreme Commander offers a far superior multiplayer experience.

snake_6483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 snake_6483
Member since 2005 • 219 Posts

im have to go with Supreme Commander

I've played C&C Demo and I have Supreme Commnder, plus i was in the Supreme Commander Beta test and it is the best RTS out there right now.

The Skirmish maps are very fun and the way each team balances out and uses their stradegies on the giant maps is unbeleivable... plus i kinda liked the single player mission, they got a little annoying at times... but what game doesnt

For C&C, it lacks wat sup com gives... no big zoom, no big maps, very small armies...

go with sup com ^_^ 

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I prefer SupCom.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
Right now I prefer Supreme Commander by a long shot, but I'll reserve final judgment for when I get my hands on C&C 3.
death5ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 death5ter
Member since 2005 • 1001 Posts

Save up some money by working and then get both.Judza

Im all ears...