The Old Republic will not be region locked at launch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

joystiq

If you're a Star Wars buff who happens to be Australian, or an arctic explorer, or a space-pilgrim on your way to colonize Hyperion, know that BioWare has totally got your back. In order to ensure that gamers in exotic locations still have access to the highest number of droids possible, BioWare has announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic will not be region or IP locked at launch.

Fresh-faced padawans and burgeoning sith lords will still have latency to content with, as no amount of midi-chlorians can break the laws of physics, but a little inconvenience never killed anyone. What has killed people, however, are the ice-tusked burrowing monstroliths of Hyperion. Be safe, brave explorers.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Old news but thanks for the up anyway. As for latency issues.... we Australians play on US Servers anyway. WoW has "oceanic" servers but they are still based in the US, just conform to our time zone...
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

The ONLY thing I'm concerned about is playing with people who speak different languages. I hated it on Kauri in SWG, and still hate it to this DAY.

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

Old news but thanks for the up anyway. As for latency issues.... we Australians play on US Servers anyway. WoW has "oceanic" servers but they are still based in the US, just conform to our time zone...FelipeInside

Yes but WoW doesn't have full dialog Age of Canon does and your ping shoots up into the 10k when you try to access one of them. and you can be hanging for a good 30+ Minutes. something TOR might face.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

keywords @ LAUNCH

love how they needed to stress that point :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Old news but thanks for the up anyway. As for latency issues.... we Australians play on US Servers anyway. WoW has "oceanic" servers but they are still based in the US, just conform to our time zone...Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Yes but WoW doesn't have full dialog Age of Canon does and your ping shoots up into the 10k when you try to access one of them. and you can be hanging for a good 30+ Minutes. something TOR might face.

Really? So voice dialogue would make a difference in lag? Aren't the voice files stored locally on the HDD...?
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

keywords @ LAUNCH

love how they needed to stress that point :P

ionusX

It's relevant for pre-purchases, which is probably the reason why they included that specific word phrasing. I would not read into it any further than that.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24001 Posts

My reaction to SWTOR not being region locked at launch.

My reaction if SWTOR ends up being region locked later on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Really? So voice dialogue would make a difference in lag? Aren't the voice files stored locally on the HDD...?FelipeInside

Oh yeah, dialogue does tend to get lagged. But I think that's mainly because of the stress testing.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Really? So voice dialogue would make a difference in lag? Aren't the voice files stored locally on the HDD...?airshocker

Oh yeah, dialogue does tend to get lagged. But I think that's mainly because of the stress testing.

Hmmmmm... Don't know what to do now really. I'm in OZ and have already preorderded the CE Edition. I guess I'll just wait and give it a go when it releases. They say lag, but us Aussies aren't gonna get servers based in Australia anyway, so I don't see the difference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Hmmmmm... Don't know what to do now really. I'm in OZ and have already preorderded the CE Edition. I guess I'll just wait and give it a go when it releases. They say lag, but us Aussies aren't gonna get servers based in Australia anyway, so I don't see the difference.FelipeInside

I was just talking about the beta, I have no idea how it's going to be at launch for those trying to connect to a server across the ocean.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Hmmmmm... Don't know what to do now really. I'm in OZ and have already preorderded the CE Edition. I guess I'll just wait and give it a go when it releases. They say lag, but us Aussies aren't gonna get servers based in Australia anyway, so I don't see the difference.airshocker

I was just talking about the beta, I have no idea how it's going to be at launch for those trying to connect to a server across the ocean.

Yeah true... with WoW and LOTRO I always played across the ocean anyway....lol....