The joy of antialiasing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

People think AA is just about killing jaggies, but I feel it is much more than that.

You can have all the high end graphics in the world, if it has jaggies the illusion is broken. Put 4/8/16x AA on a game and suddenly everything feels solid, that it is not just a load of polygons but a physical world.

Try this out, if you have the Spore CC and a GPU with enough power crank up the res and AA to 4x or more. Go to the creature preview window (the only place in the CC AA works) and look at your creature, with 1680x1050 and 16x AA it feels like I can almost touch it.

Who else loves AA?

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
I love AA, but not that much O_o
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Love is such a strong word ;) I like it but it's not only the AA. Watch carefully at the new games, even if they don't have AA, they are becoming more and more "solid".
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
I totally agree. Jaggies are a major immersion killer for me. Once you have smooth edges everywhere, the world becomes much more real.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I guess you can't play Mass Effect.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust

I guess you can't play Mass Effect.RK-Mara

Games on UE3 are examples of games that have almost no AA but are "solid" enough :P.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AnnoyedDragon

I said I love AA, not that I cannot play without it :P

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
Although I like antialiasing, I will readily sacrifice it for a performance boost if necessary.
Icicle_MX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Icicle_MX
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Although I like antialiasing, I will readily sacrifice it for a performance boost if necessary.BlueBirdTS

I strongly agree. AAing delivers near-reality graphics but it cost tons of our GPU performance. I hope someday someone will found the next-generation for AA, of course with less performance cost....

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I like AA, it makes graphic looks better.
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts
I use it when I can but a lack of it wont mean the game feels fake to me
s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
who doesn't love AA.. it makes the games look so much better. but i remember everytime i used to turn it on while playing.. i always started to feel that my framerate isn't what it's supposed to be.. 60+ i mean. even tho the games were still playable, i just couldn't stop myself from turning off the AA.. so that i could get much stable framerate. this "60+" fps thing always kept bugging me.. so i never cared about AA.. jaggies = ok.. accepted, below 60 fps = no!!!!
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Put 4/8/16x AA on a game and suddenly everything feels solid, that it is not just a load of polygons but a physical world.

Try this out, if you have the Spore CC and a GPU with enough power crank up the res and AA to 4x or more. Go to the creature preview window (the only place in the CC AA works) and look at your creature, with 1680x1050 and 16x AA it feels like I can almost touch it.

AnnoyedDragon

No. More than 4x looks like ass to me (and in some games, 4x is even too much). At 8x, I start feeling like I've got 20/200 vision. At 16x, it's equivalent to smearing vasoline on my screen. Everything loses its definition and contrast.

I can see it feeling more like a physical world to someone who already has awful vision and major depth perception problems in real life, or just has a weird concept of what looks more realistic or atmospheric. I do think that 2x and sometimes 4x AA gives the effect you're talking about, but too much just looks terrible.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]Although I like antialiasing, I will readily sacrifice it for a performance boost if necessary.Icicle_MX

I strongly agree. AAing delivers near-reality graphics but it cost tons of our GPU performance. I hope someday someone will found the next-generation for AA, of course with less performance cost....

I believe DirectX 10.1 is designed to address that.

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts
I must say this thread surprises me because I never use it. No AA doesn't hurt my gameplay experience at all. AF (anisotropic filtering) on the other hand, I always crank up as high as it will go.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I must say this thread surprises me because I never use it. No AA doesn't hurt my gameplay experience at all. AF (anisotropic filtering) on the other hand, I always crank up as high as it will go.BLKR4330

Same here. I only put on AA once im hitting over 60 FPS. I can't stand any game without atleast 16x AF.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
I don't love it so much that I would start a thread on it. But I like enough to post a comment in said thread.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AnnoyedDragon
No. More than 4x looks like ass to me (and in some games, 4x is even too much). At 8x, I start feeling like I've got 20/200 vision. At 16x, it's equivalent to smearing vasoline on my screen. Everything loses its definition and contrast.

I can see it feeling more like a physical world to someone who already has awful vision and major depth perception problems in real life, or just has a weird concept of what looks more realistic or atmospheric. I do think that 2x and sometimes 4x AA gives the effect you're talking about, but too much just looks terrible.JP_Russell

I found this response rather strange; what you're describing AA doesn't do, smearing vaseline on the screen? You might want to get that checked out.

Cooltechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Cooltechie
Member since 2006 • 197 Posts
Hmm yes, the smoothness and realism effects greatly add, I do love AA but my current computer doesn't :cry:
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
yeah AA is awesome altough for conventional computer monitors u dont really need more then 4xAA the quality increase doesnt justify the framerate hit.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AnnoyedDragon

yeah AA is awesome altough for conventional computer monitors u dont really need more then 4xAA the quality increase doesnt justify the framerate hit. johnny27

4X is usually the maximum I'll go up to in games as well, I mentioned 16x because you can get away with it in the Spore editor easily.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Although I like antialiasing, I will readily sacrifice it for a performance boost if necessary.BlueBirdTS

As do a lot of developers. You see it more and more nowadays with video games, whether it's PC, consoles, or handhelds. Developers would sacrifice AA for performance. In a perfect world, I would like to have both but we're not in one, now are we?

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]No. More than 4x looks like ass to me (and in some games, 4x is even too much). At 8x, I start feeling like I've got 20/200 vision. At 16x, it's equivalent to smearing vasoline on my screen. Everything loses its definition and contrast.

I can see it feeling more like a physical world to someone who already has awful vision and major depth perception problems in real life, or just has a weird concept of what looks more realistic or atmospheric. I do think that 2x and sometimes 4x AA gives the effect you're talking about, but too much just looks terrible.AnnoyedDragon

I found this response rather strange; what you're describing AA doesn't do, smearing vaseline on the screen? You might want to get that checked out.

AA blurs edges. 8x and 16x do a great job of getting rid of jaggies, but they also destroy contrast on all lines and start to make things blend together too much.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AnnoyedDragon

AA blurs edges. 8x and 16x do a great job of getting rid of jaggies, but they also destroy contrast on all lines and start to make things blend together too much.JP_Russell

That is why there is AA gamma correction in your driver options.

Ok here are two 1280x800 UT3 screenshots in png format for lossless quality (hope you have broadband), one has no AA while the other 16X.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/918/ut32008070320390139iy7.png

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1538/ut32008070320423739hu0.png

I honestly don't see the image quality impact you are talking about, just less jaggies.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DanielDust
UE3 is not the best to give examples of IMO because AA is really not it's strong point. It doesn't make your point and it doesn't make JP_R's point either. Grid on the other hand is the perfect example, but I don't have it installed atm, but he is right to a certain degree, exaggerated AA values do make the game like it has more smoke or washed graphics.
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
i cant do 1680 x 1050 for spore for some reason. i can do it for crysis (and get owned in the frames) but i cant get this resolution for spore creature creator.
Blinckz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blinckz
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
I love myself.
And I do care about AA, why? Because the game looks better with AA.
If it didn't look better with AA, it wouldn't be an option on the graphical settings on any avarage + computer game.
Do I love AA? No. Can I live without it? No.
AA is a women. You can't deal with it because it makes your computer feel like an old man whose legs were lost in WW2, but at the same time you can't live without it, or your game will look like an old man whose legs were lost during the WW2.

16x.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
I'll admit that I get paranoid when I see something moving when I'm sniping and it turns out to just be aliasing.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Seems like they would have invented a more efficient way to reduce jaggies instead of AA... It's nice to have, but it's a huge waste of power IMO.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JP_Russell

[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]AA blurs edges. 8x and 16x do a great job of getting rid of jaggies, but they also destroy contrast on all lines and start to make things blend together too much.AnnoyedDragon

That is why there is AA gamma correction in your driver options.

Ok here are two 1280x800 UT3 screenshots in png format for lossless quality (hope you have broadband), one has no AA while the other 16X.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/918/ut32008070320390139iy7.png

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1538/ut32008070320423739hu0.png

I honestly don't see the image quality impact you are talking about, just less jaggies.

As Daniel said, UE3 must not be too hot at AA or something, because I've seen better jaggy elimination from 4x AA in most games.

The effect I'm talking about isn't as apparent in a screenshot, anyway; it's easier to see in motion. But as an example, if you look at the left side of the screen, at that marble-like material on the wall under that large pillar, and look at the right edge where it meets the wooden section of wall, you can see that it's very defined in the screen with no AA, and has a blurred look to it in the one with it.

Also, in the middle of the screen where there are multiple roofs close to each other in the near distance leaving only little patches of the sky visible, you can see the effect there. It's something especially noticeable anywhere there are many edges together with a distance behind them. And like I said, it's much easier (for me) to see in motion, where angles are changing and lines are moving and being contrasted against one another..

It's an effect that's very much like having degraded eyesight in real life (I know this, being someone with 20/50 vision), where sharp edges are no longer perfectly defined and blur slightly against the other colors around them.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 johnny27

[QUOTE="johnny27"]yeah AA is awesome altough for conventional computer monitors u dont really need more then 4xAA the quality increase doesnt justify the framerate hit. AnnoyedDragon

4X is usually the maximum I'll go up to in games as well, I mentioned 16x because you can get away with it in the Spore editor easily.

well for older or less demanding games then yeah crank up the AA :D.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#32 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Just wondering, does Mass Effect have any support for AA? I couldn't see it in the options!!
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 johnny27

Just wondering, does Mass Effect have any support for AA? I couldn't see it in the options!!biggest_loser

it doesnt try forcing it through ur graphics control panel appretnyl UE3 doesnt have built in AA support :(

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Just wondering, does Mass Effect have any support for AA? I couldn't see it in the options!!johnny27

it doesnt try forcing it through ur graphics control panel appretnyl UE3 doesnt have built in AA support :(

How odd, I am sure that the AA option was available with Bioshock...

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DanielDust

I don\t remember Bioshock having specific 2x,4x,8x,etc AA, maybe just an option for detail or something.

Here's something interesting about UE3.

I saw no difference so far, but if they say so :roll:

+ You can't force AA on UE3 games because it won't work and how Bioshock became the most polished and solid UE3 game instead of an Epic game, I don't know. It shows how much Epic cares for PC these days.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I prefer higher resolutions myself. Anti-aliasing looks to me like it fuzzies up the edges and makes them less distinct and clear. At higher resolutions it really does nothing anyways.
diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
4x->8x-16x aa is useless. No change at all, why do you even bother. Not to mention it makes even less of a difference if your playing on a higher resolution.

I can play several games at max settings on 1280x1024, and changing the AA from 2x to 4 doesnt change much, anything past that does nothing at all.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 biggest_loser

4x->8x-16x aa is useless. No change at all, why do you even bother. Not to mention it makes even less of a difference if your playing on a higher resolution.

I can play several games at max settings on 1280x1024, and changing the AA from 2x to 4 doesnt change much, anything past that does nothing at all.diped

It smoothes out the edges a lot. Try using it with the game FEAR - it makes good use of it!

musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts

I use 4xAA in Mass Effect...

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

I don\t remember Bioshock having specific 2x,4x,8x,etc AA, maybe just an option for detail or something.

Here's something interesting about UE3.

I saw no difference so far, but if they say so :roll:

+ You can't force AA on UE3 games because it won't work and how Bioshock became the most polished and solid UE3 game instead of an Epic game, I don't know. It shows how much Epic cares for PC these days.

DanielDust

Good article, the main take away is that if you play alot of UE3 based games, you should have Vista.