The Irony of WoW Spin offs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crazymaghie123
Member since 2004 • 1209 Posts
I find it ironic that companies these days are designing MMOs to be "wow killers" and "great MMOs" but instead of trying to come up with something new and take a risk they ultimately just make a dumbed down version of WoW..
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

I find it ironic that companies these days are designing MMOs to be "wow killers" and "great MMOs" but instead of trying to come up with something new and take a risk they ultimately just make a dumbed down version of WoW.. crazymaghie123

Totally and 100% agree. The ever elusive WoW killer WONT and CANT be WoW with a new paint job. Why not just keep playing WoW? No incentive to leave your investment in WoW for basically the same thing, only with less content and more bugs lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Just what game was dubbed the WoW killer to begin with? And what mmos that has been recently released that can be seen as a WoW clone>?

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

Just what game was dubbed the WoW killer to begin with? And what mmos that has been recently released that can be seen as a WoW clone>?

sSubZerOo

People on WoW forums have been always claiming the next MMO to be a WoW killer. LOTRO, AoC, and soon WAR. LOTRO and AoC failed to dethrone WoW, and WAR is pretty much guaranteed to head down the same path.

crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 crazymaghie123
LOTRO is a great example
MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MEOWWW123
Member since 2008 • 870 Posts

At the moment WAR is the next WoW killer.

At approximatley 12:01 AM on sept 18th the next WoW Killer will be the next fantasy MMO.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
If people stop playing them and do things like learn a sport or how to read a book, companies will stop making such awful spinoffs.
crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crazymaghie123

If people stop playing them and do things like learn a sport or how to read a book, companies will stop making such awful spinoffs.krazyorange
\

lol

grassdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 grassdream
Member since 2006 • 1902 Posts
If people stop playing them and do things like learn a sport or how to read a book, companies will stop making such awful spinoffs.krazyorange
lolwat
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts
I dont play WOW because of its community, sry but I just dont fit in with "8-10 hour a day gamers" "nerds" I really got mad when I tried the trial of wow, there was alot of jerks and nolifers. Now I am a extreme WOW hater bur hey! I dont like runescape either~ I c what that game has done to people.
BLBLAKERS10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 BLBLAKERS10
Member since 2007 • 1280 Posts

I dont play WOW because of its community, sry but I just dont fit in with "8-10 hour a day gamers" "nerds" I really got mad when I tried the trial of wow, there was alot of jerks and nolifers. Now I am a extreme WOW hater bur hey! I dont like runescape either~ I c what that game has done to people.TrooperManaic

I hate WoW too, never played it, seen it and it was the most boring thing I had ever seen.. They might call you a noob but dont let it bother you because there noobs at real life..

amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts
WAR is a blatant copy of WoW... it looks pretty **** right now I doubt I'll get it.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

[QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]I dont play WOW because of its community, sry but I just dont fit in with "8-10 hour a day gamers" "nerds" I really got mad when I tried the trial of wow, there was alot of jerks and nolifers. Now I am a extreme WOW hater bur hey! I dont like runescape either~ I c what that game has done to people.BLBLAKERS10

I hate WoW too, never played it, seen it and it was the most boring thing I had ever seen.. They might call you a noob but dont let it bother you because there noobs at real life..

-_- nerds calling people nerds on the internet is always fail.

Stargate_SG-1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stargate_SG-1_
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts
[QUOTE="BLBLAKERS10"]

[QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]I dont play WOW because of its community, sry but I just dont fit in with "8-10 hour a day gamers" "nerds" I really got mad when I tried the trial of wow, there was alot of jerks and nolifers. Now I am a extreme WOW hater bur hey! I dont like runescape either~ I c what that game has done to people.PC360Wii

^^^^agree

Piesics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Piesics
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts
I would have thought the irony of WoW ripoffs is that WoW hasn't done anything original to begin with.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
[QUOTE="BLBLAKERS10"]

[QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]I dont play WOW because of its community, sry but I just dont fit in with "8-10 hour a day gamers" "nerds" I really got mad when I tried the trial of wow, there was alot of jerks and nolifers. Now I am a extreme WOW hater bur hey! I dont like runescape either~ I c what that game has done to people.PC360Wii

Shut up nerd :P

The WoW killer will be WoW2. Unless Blizzard do the smart thing, and simply pull a Runescape, ie release a version with better graphics that is still the same game. I mean, the gameplay will still suck, but people are more likely to stick around if it looks pretty. In which case there will never be a WoW killer.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]I dont play WOW because of its community, sry but I just dont fit in with "8-10 hour a day gamers" "nerds" I really got mad when I tried the trial of wow, there was alot of jerks and nolifers. Now I am a extreme WOW hater bur hey! I dont like runescape either~ I c what that game has done to people.BLBLAKERS10

Ignorant statement of the year. That's like saying, I hate milk, I never drank it, or I hate sex, never done it.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

I find it ironic that companies these days are designing MMOs to be "wow killers" and "great MMOs" but instead of trying to come up with something new and take a risk they ultimately just make a dumbed down version of WoW.. crazymaghie123

This is truth. The advantage these developers have when making their MMO is they can do something new and different and pull in the crowd that WoW didn't attract - but instead they try to pull they exact same crowd and they lose every time.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
and yet, WoW is a dumbed down MMO to begin with.
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts
WoW sucks anyway...
bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts
[QUOTE="BLBLAKERS10"]

Johnny_Rock

Ignorant statement of the year. That's like saying, I hate milk, I never drank it, or I hate sex, never done it.

haha so true. BLB do you think your cool or something calling people who play WoW no lifers? Yet you are on a video game forum.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

WAR is a blatant copy of WoW... it looks pretty **** right now I doubt I'll get it.amekhov

Just wow....

Warhammer is infact a tabletop pen and paper style game with little minatures you can paint and collect. If anything WoW copied this and now the Warhammer folks have decided to bring one of the most popular table top games ever to the digital scene with WAR as an MMO.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="amekhov"]WAR is a blatant copy of WoW... it looks pretty **** right now I doubt I'll get it.1005

Just wow....

Warhammer is infact a tabletop pen and paper style game with little minatures you can paint and collect. If anything WoW copied this and now the Warhammer folks have decided to bring one of the most popular table top games ever to the digital scene with WAR as an MMO.

Yup, WoW copied Warhamer Online 5 years before it came out.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Just wow....

it doesn't really matter which series came first. most consumers haven't heard of Warhammer (except out of the RTS franchise, which is a far cry from an MMO), and will see it as-and it is- a WoW clone.

Orrendamente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Orrendamente
Member since 2007 • 362 Posts

WoW is a clone of other MMOs, it didn't do anything that hasn't been done before.

Christ, have you guys never heard of Asheron's Call?

BLBLAKERS10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BLBLAKERS10
[QUOTE="BLBLAKERS10"]

[QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]I dont play WOW because of its community, sry but I just dont fit in with "8-10 hour a day gamers" "nerds" I really got mad when I tried the trial of wow, there was alot of jerks and nolifers. Now I am a extreme WOW hater bur hey! I dont like runescape either~ I c what that game has done to people.Johnny_Rock

Ok, actually your wrong.. I watched the game at my friends for hours. It was dumb lookin and boring, not some thing I would ever play.. And now to really contradict my self, My friend got me to play.. So for like 30 minutes I played on his lvl 70.. It was the most bland game I think I have ever played..
promajo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 promajo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
looking other people play games rarely is fun, start playing YOURSELF from THE BEGINNING for MORE then 30 minutes, waste of my time to react because you're already a WoW hater for life
crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 crazymaghie123

[QUOTE="amekhov"]WAR is a blatant copy of WoW... it looks pretty **** right now I doubt I'll get it.1005

Just wow....

Yes, warhammer the board game came out first and it was great. The warcraft series probably got a lot of influence from Tokien, DnD, and Warhammer in its art style. But putting all the art aside, it is obvious that the devs from warhammer were just trying to follow the formula that made WoW such a success and not trying to do anything innovative.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts
How can WoW be dumbed down? Sounds like an oxymoron.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

How can WoW be dumbed down? Sounds like an oxymoron.StrawberryHill

No, you are an oxymoron!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I HAVE THE ANSWER

The REAL WoW killer will be WOW 2 with the Crysis 3 Engine !!!!

wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts

Wait:shock: so all this hate for WoW you have been spreading over the last three days comes from you having never played it, ok i see how that works.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

[QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]How can WoW be dumbed down? Sounds like an oxymoron.kieranb2000

No, you are an oxymoron!

You must be 12 or 13 years old.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

[QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]How can WoW be dumbed down? Sounds like an oxymoron.kieranb2000

No, you are an oxymoron!

and then he was an oxymoron.

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts

Ok, actually your wrong.. I watched the game at my friends for hours. It was dumb lookin and boring, not some thing I would ever play.. And now to really contradict my self, My friend got me to play.. So for like 30 minutes I played on his lvl 70.. It was the most bland game I think I have ever played..BLBLAKERS10

What did you do in that 30 min time? sit around Shatt and do nothing most likely. Seriously you arent going to understand the game playing off the bat at level 70, you arent going to know what the hell you are doing. You are trying to hard to hate the game, you never gave it a chance. I guess you can continue think you are all cool because you dont play WoW.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

Internet tough guy.

fightinglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fightinglove
Member since 2004 • 145 Posts

I would have thought the irony of WoW ripoffs is that WoW hasn't done anything original to begin with.

Piesics

this

BLBLAKERS10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BLBLAKERS10
[QUOTE="BLBLAKERS10"]

[QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]I dont play WOW because of its community, sry but I just dont fit in with "8-10 hour a day gamers" "nerds" I really got mad when I tried the trial of wow, there was alot of jerks and nolifers. Now I am a extreme WOW hater bur hey! I dont like runescape either~ I c what that game has done to people.vash47

Internet tough guy.

Lmao that made no sense lmao.. They want to diss us then I can diss them..

BLBLAKERS10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BLBLAKERS10

[QUOTE="BLBLAKERS10"] Ok, actually your wrong.. I watched the game at my friends for hours. It was dumb lookin and boring, not some thing I would ever play.. And now to really contradict my self, My friend got me to play.. So for like 30 minutes I played on his lvl 70.. It was the most bland game I think I have ever played..bignice12

What did you do in that 30 min time? sit around Shatt and do nothing most likely. Seriously you arent going to understand the game playing off the bat at level 70, you arent going to know what the hell you are doing. You are trying to hard to hate the game, you never gave it a chance. I guess you can continue think you are all cool because you dont play WoW.

I am cool!!! **** if I played WoW all the cool kids would too.. But im like Na that aint my scene over there..

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
World of Warcraft (Top) ____Warhammer MMO(Bottom)   Both pictures have a fiery background with a tree, a knight in silver armor clashing with an enemy while pointing his sword at the top-left corner of the picture.
crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 crazymaghie123

Piesics

Hmm, actually no. Before WoW, MMOs were only for the most hardcore and people who could spend hours and hours playing. Now the genre is accessible for a broad audience and yet still has plenty of content for that "hardcore" group. Features that helped WoW become this way was a low penalty for death, fast paced action (less down time), and the resting system.

You can't say that WoW isn't original because it truly is. Yes, it is an MMO so its going to have many similarities with other games of its genre, but it progressed the MMO genre to new heights with all its features. What you're saying would be like if you were to say that a particular FPS was not original because you were in a first person perspective holding a gun. There is just so much more to a games these days.

rifton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rifton
Member since 2005 • 1716 Posts

At the moment WAR is the next WoW killer.

At approximatley 12:01 AM on sept 18th the next WoW Killer will be the next fantasy MMO.

MEOWWW123
Moments later at 12:06 AM, it lost its posistion as the next fantasy MMO
fatherearth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fatherearth
Member since 2006 • 110 Posts
No intelligent WAR fan could think that it will kill WoW. WAR is a PvP-centric game. WoW is a PvE-centric game. They each attract different crowds of people, and no game is going to cause millions of people who have invested hundreds of hours into a game to suddenly leave it. Yes, I think WAR is going to make a dent in WoW, but I don't think it's going to get anywhere close to killing it.