THE game that Changed your gaming view

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nikb275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nikb275
Member since 2012 • 113 Posts
WHAT IS THE GAME THAT CHANGED YOUR GAMING VIEW ur fav game
WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

I don't really have a favorite, but Crysis is what convinced me to invest in PC gaming, sell my Wii, and quit using my 360(I only keep it for Netflix.) When I went to destroy the jammer in the first mission and stood on that cliff overlooking the beach, I was blown away. It looked so real. And it was running at a much higher framerate than most console games.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
[QUOTE="Nikb275"]WHAT IS THE GAME THAT CHANGED YOUR GAMING VIEW ur fav game

Change in what way? do you mean going from Console to pc or pc to console? Because i never had that problem, i have all 3 consoles and also a decent PC so i play on them all depending on my mood or what i want to play.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

It's not my fav game anymore but the game that changed my life and was a major time sink was WoW. It was the first game that I actually fill in a application form to play with others. The first game that I saw people screaming down the mic at each other when the made a mistake, the first game that felt like a part time job but I loved it, but like all good things it came to a end for me when Wrath ended and my guild fell apart.

I wouldn't go back to WoW for all the gold farmed in China, but I still have good memories of it :)

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I have a few favorite games.

Mario 64 is one of the first games I ever played, and even today it has aged extremely well and remains, for me, one of the best all time 3D platformers, if not the best.

Half-Life just revolutionized shooters, today's games focus on set pieces and immersion and atmosphere, well Half-Life made all those things cool back in 1998 and it still plays well with smart AI that can still beat the AI in a game like Crysis 9 years later.

Then Fallout 3, which contains the most time I ever spent on one game, with its hopeless landscape and brutal wasteland, and plenty to explore with an unbroken and immersive experience, its one of my favorite all time games and a worthy sequel to the classic games, if styled completely differently.

I'd say of all of these, though Mario 64 was one of my first gaming titles, Half-Life really made me appreciate a good, single player atmospheric shooter. Before that I wasn't a big shooter guy and only played a couple of multiplayer shooters with friends.

Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

Goldeneye 64 was probably the game that "changed my view."

I bought my 360 in 2007, and the first games I played was Gears of War and Bioshock. I was in awe... Some of the best moments in my life of gaming.

AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Super Mario Bros on the NES blew minds back when it was first released (if you were a child at that time, you know what I'm talking about).

It was truly jaw dropping to be playing a game like that in your own home, and pretty much every kid I knew either owned it or was begging their parents to buy it for them.

I don't play many Nintendo games now, but they (and Atari) are the reason I got into gaming in the first place, and Super Mario Bros (and The Legend of Zelda, to a lesser extent) are the two games that blew me away the most.

dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

KoTOR got me into the RPG genre.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

I have a few favorite games.

Mario 64 is one of the first games I ever played, and even today it has aged extremely well and remains, for me, one of the best all time 3D platformers, if not the best.

Half-Life just revolutionized shooters, today's games focus on set pieces and immersion and atmosphere, well Half-Life made all those things cool back in 1998 and it still plays well with smart AI that can still beat the AI in a game like Crysis 9 years later.

Then Fallout 3, which contains the most time I ever spent on one game, with its hopeless landscape and brutal wasteland, and plenty to explore with an unbroken and immersive experience, its one of my favorite all time games and a worthy sequel to the classic games, if styled completely differently.

I'd say of all of these, though Mario 64 was one of my first gaming titles, Half-Life really made me appreciate a good, single player atmospheric shooter. Before that I wasn't a big shooter guy and only played a couple of multiplayer shooters with friends.

SPYDER0416
Half-Life definitely changed my attitude about what games could accomplish. It was very ambitious and large, and really took FPS gaming to its next chapter. I would say the same about System Shock 2. Both games really took storytelling and plot development to a new level in the FPS genre. Fallout 3 was great, also, although not as groundbreaking as the other games, and it also had some simplistic combat gameplay (although admittedly, gameplay wasn't the focus of Fallout 3).
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Final Fantasy III was the game that really made it clear I wanted to be a gamer until I die :P

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

FF7 was the game that made me deside that consoles were no longer going to be my main platform to play games on.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

levle 6 rule

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Fallout 3 marks a turning point in my life.

Not sure how.

Just a mental bookmark between before and after.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

CSS, it's what really got me into pc gaming. I was mainly a console gamer (ps3, mostly) until christmas 2009, when i got css for free from a cousin. Started playing it, and since then i've gotten nearly 500 hours, and i've also sold all my consoles.

276 games on steam now, from December 20th, 2009 to June 6th, 2012.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Tri-part history...

Starcraft is what made me start getting serious in gaming. Before that, I kind of dabbled in those NHL games (I owned but barely touched games like Outcast and Oni). So Starcraft naturally evolved into Warcraft III.

I was introduced to Halo, and it singlehandedly made me buy an Xbox and start on FPS games. Some of the best experiences of my "gaming years" with LANs and whatnot. And, indirectly, I like to think that obsession was the deciding factor that set me on my desired career path.

Here I can also give credit to KoTOR for single-handedly getting me into RPGs. I'd only been exposed to JRPGs at that point, and I really did not gaf until I got to Dantooine.

Company of Heroes is what made me switch back to PC gaming. It's still one of the greatest RTS experiences I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Some games come to mind: Darkfall, Crysis, Morrowind, Counter-Strike, Starcraft
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I remember discovering Minecraft when it was in alpha, it was the day I truly started following indie gaming.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
bf2/2142 mainly. STALKER shadow of chernobyl also did this
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

The Secret of Monkey Island.

When i first got this game on my Amiga 600 i knew i was utterly hooked. Adventure games became my passion. So i got a PC and bought every Lucasarts game i could get my hand on. The rest is history. Funny that my favorite game right now is Gemini Rue, considering the similarities in graphics and gameplay. 1990 <-> 2012 :)

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
Fallout 3. I used to avoid RPGs before that.
gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
starcraft broodwar. Technically starcraft 2 as that is what made me play bw. Never knew there was such thing as a competitive gaming scene till bw and it's so awesome :D
slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
The first three games I ever bought for my PC made me a PC gamer addict, Half Life, Deus Ex, and Thief. All were fantastic and just offered amazing gameplay!
ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

I was 12 back then, i read a magazine that had a review on the game, i read it everyday, and i was amazed, i had never played many games back then, I dreamt about the images i saw on the magazine, i had to play it.

One day, i was in my neighbours home, and guess what i saw in his room shelf? Oblivion!

Borrowed it imediatelly, ran home, installed it, and was immersed!

Played it 10 times already, and it holds up as my favourite game, i was so amazed at it!

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

If you're talking about the game that got us into playing games to begin with, it was Sonic Adventure for me. It certainly wasn't the first open ended adventure game but it was the first one I played and really demonstrated how absorbing and fun a game could really be. Until I played that I had been playing 2D platformers on handhelds.

Alphawolf102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27 Alphawolf102
Member since 2005 • 1309 Posts
Golden Eye, Ocarina of Time, Counter-Strike, Halo, KoTor, Star Wars Battle Grounds Each did something I didn't do before, Golden Eye great multiplayer, not that I never played multiplayer before but it would lead to getting halo.
torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts
God of war i used to take gaming casually until i played this thing in my ps2's cd tray and boy was i wrong ?
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Wasteland. It wasn't the first computer RPG that I played but it was the first to really get its claws in me and consume a lot of my free time. Fortunately, I was a lot younger back then so I had plenty of free time to piddle away. I was doing somersaults and cartwheels when they announced the sequel.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#30 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (and to a lesser extent the other games in the series) was the game that made me become aware of the abilities of PC gaming, and taught me a lot on what first person shooter design should move towards in the future (open-ended, largely unscripted gameplay, (semi-)realism, atmosphere and freedom). ArmA 2: Combined Operations is similar in that it taught me a lot about what makes PC gaming special, and what can be achieved with a relatively small budget. I still often use these titles as benchmarks for new games that come out.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Deus Ex and games developed by the Origin Systems/Looking Glass Studios/Irrational Studios/ION school
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts

For me it was most definitely Battlefield 1942. There is a clear separation in my mind from BB and AB (Before Battlefield and After Battlefield).

BF 1942 absolutely revolutionized what a mutliplayer game could be. I remember just being in absolute awe at the fact that there were people running around with guns on foot, planes in the air, and tanks roaming around all on the same level. Multiplayer gaming would never be the same after that.

It was also probably the first PC game that made me believe that consoles were clearly inferior. Though I've always been a PC gamer, before that I of course gamed on consoles (nintendo, genesis, N64), but BF 1942 was something that was just completely unatainable on a console. I immediately felt like consoles would always be playing catchup to PC gaming, and I think that's definitely been the case.

sloakz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 sloakz
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts

Um the original fallout and def S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shoc

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Warlords 2

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

glQuake

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I guess it would be Ocarina of Time (not a PC game :P), though it is hard to pick one that "changed my view". That could apply to more in their own way. Be it Diablo II, Battlefield, Super Metroid, Perfect Dark 64 or other games.

Nirzzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nirzzle
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Well Modern Warfare 3 told me not to buy every goddamn COD game that comes out every year because its the same goddamn game and sometimes even worse in the case of MW3. I'm not sure if that counts but otherwise it would have been Call of duty 4 which turned me into a hardcore gamer in the first place.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Everquest 1.. It was my first MMO and really opened my eyes to the possibility of the social part of gaming and what your capable of.. Before this games like Diablo 2 and Starcraft, you really only played with a handfull of people at a time in instanced areas.. The whole "world environment" blew away, and to boot it was extremely unforgiving which I miss in today's games.. Specifically just exploration was dangerous, and for a very long time there were no maps to the game.. Only coordinates, so you had to remember landmarks and what not.. I honestly think alot of it is spoonfed.. And thats a problem..
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#39 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

I used to play shooter games with cheat-codes. Then I beat Max Payne in 2002 without 'em. So yes, it was probably Max Payne that came closest to changing my approach to games.

As for my favorite? That would be Half-Life.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

battlefield 2 and rome total war. those game at the time makes my head explode!

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

The Witcher, KOTOR 2 and Age of Empires 2.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Well Modern Warfare 3 told me not to buy every goddamn COD game that comes out every year because its the same goddamn game and sometimes even worse in the case of MW3. I'm not sure if that counts but otherwise it would have been Call of duty 4 which turned me into a hardcore gamer in the first place.Nirzzle

yeah ok

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Unreal Tournament got me hooked on PC gaming, before than I never really bothered about Multiplayer and had the belief that it was just for hardcore gamers who could headshot you from across the map. After about a year I was the one headshotting people from across the map but i've never been as heavily invested in a game ever since and don't care for many games these days.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

Pokemon Red was my first video game I owned, so it has a special spot. Halo 2 got me into gaming as my main hobby, and Battlefield 3 convinced me to build a gaming a PC.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

For the pc probably either BF 1942 or Battlefield 2.

1942 got me hyped up for pcgaming and what it could do with the open ended maps and vehicles, and BF2 was the first online game I owned and played myself. Blew my mind on every level.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
FF VII before that I was a sports only gamer.
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

Crysis is what made me realize what a current gen shooter could be. Since it nothing has even come close to taking up the mantle or even trying. Crysis 2 wasn't even close to making me feel how Crysis still does even on replay.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

[QUOTE="Nirzzle"]Well Modern Warfare 3 told me not to buy every goddamn COD game that comes out every year because its the same goddamn game and sometimes even worse in the case of MW3. I'm not sure if that counts but otherwise it would have been Call of duty 4 which turned me into a hardcore gamer in the first place.GummiRaccoon

yeah ok

Whats wrong with his claim? People long hundreds of hours into COD. It's a damn good game.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Nirzzle"]Well Modern Warfare 3 told me not to buy every goddamn COD game that comes out every year because its the same goddamn game and sometimes even worse in the case of MW3. I'm not sure if that counts but otherwise it would have been Call of duty 4 which turned me into a hardcore gamer in the first place.FPSfan1985

yeah ok

Whats wrong with his claim? People long hundreds of hours into COD. It's a damn good game.

Well hating CoD is popular for all those who are unoriginal and stuck in last year when BF vs CoD was such a big deal.

Its a valid answer, CoD4 changed a lot this generation and likely got a lot of people into competitive multiplayer, while the single player really made set pieces for other developers to aspire to.

AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Call of Duty 4 is a masterpiece that got millions of gamers hooked on FPS games.

I've been waiting for the next "Call of Duty 4" to arrive for years now, hopefully it will happen soon.