The future of SSDs

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@IvanElk said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Actually as far as that goes, SSD's are better for backing up, you write less to them they last a long time. However, the recovery services for them are too expensive so in the unlikely event that it does fail, you are looking at paying probably double to recover the data.

Depends on the type of backup.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

@GummiRaccoon said:

@IvanElk said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@VanDammFan said:

@IvanElk said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

I can't believe this is still going lol. We get it....your PC boots up fast. Your programs load fast.

Sounds great....when the prices come down I will join you.

And thankfully they are coming down pretty fast in comparison with HDD when they were released.

I see people using SSD as storage in a couple of years.

What worries me though is data recovery on them.

Yeah probably going to have a SOL on that, most of those services for SSDS are expensive as hell. My suggestion would be to do the logical thing and back your important stuff up.

I thought putting data on a hdd was backing up? if SS is so great why arent we backing up to them? Im asking in all seriousness. Im in the process of finally deciding what I want to use to back up my data. I just bought a WD portable 500g hdd..and im getting 5 more of the same ones. 3 will have dup copies of my music..and 3 will have dup copies of my pics..PLUS I'll have all my music and pics on hdds im using in my pc to listen to and share.

I always hear good about ss..but it seems they are not good for backing up? Seems I was told here on GS that they dont hold the memory unless they are hooked up. That they lose their data after so long??

Speed doesn't matter for a backup. SSDs are for speed, you pay a premium for that, why would you pay a premium for something that doesn't have an effect on what you are doing?

Also your technical understanding of SSDs is way off, I suggest you google and check out a few wikis.

Actually as far as that goes, SSD's are better for backing up, you write less to them they last a long time. However, the recovery services for them are too expensive so in the unlikely event that it does fail, you are looking at paying probably double to recover the data.

Except the cost per gigabyte is orders of magnitude higher.

I never said it was smart value wise. I was saying just in terms of how it works. Of course it is stupid to back up to an SSD due to cost, but cost aside I don't see it being much worse than an HDD. But you are really wasting money if you bought an ssd to back up shit too.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@IvanElk said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@IvanElk said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@VanDammFan said:

@IvanElk said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

I can't believe this is still going lol. We get it....your PC boots up fast. Your programs load fast.

And thankfully they are coming down pretty fast in comparison with HDD when they were released.

Yeah probably going to have a SOL on that, most of those services for SSDS are expensive as hell. My suggestion would be to do the logical thing and back your important stuff up.

I thought putting data on a hdd was backing up? if SS is so great why arent we backing up to them? Im asking in all seriousness. Im in the process of finally deciding what I want to use to back up my data. I just bought a WD portable 500g hdd..and im getting 5 more of the same ones. 3 will have dup copies of my music..and 3 will have dup copies of my pics..PLUS I'll have all my music and pics on hdds im using in my pc to listen to and share.

I always hear good about ss..but it seems they are not good for backing up? Seems I was told here on GS that they dont hold the memory unless they are hooked up. That they lose their data after so long??

Speed doesn't matter for a backup. SSDs are for speed, you pay a premium for that, why would you pay a premium for something that doesn't have an effect on what you are doing?

Also your technical understanding of SSDs is way off, I suggest you google and check out a few wikis.

I never said it was smart value wise. I was saying just in terms of how it works. Of course it is stupid to back up to an SSD due to cost, but cost aside I don't see it being much worse than an HDD. But you are really wasting money if you bought an ssd to back up shit too.

How exactly were you refuting what I said then?

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

@GummiRaccoon said:

@IvanElk said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@IvanElk said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@VanDammFan said:

@IvanElk said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

How exactly were you refuting what I said then?

I wasn't disproving your point. Your point is right, I was saying I was not referring to the cost in the point I was making about how SSD's themselves are not necessarily bad for backing up in comparison to HDD's in terms of reliability and chance to fail. Initial cost was never a factor in my post for a reason.

Also quoting doesn't necesarily mean I don't agree with you.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

I want an SSd but i don't want to spend the money on it? what should i do guys? Your the answer.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 FelipeInside

@Travis_Odell said:

I want an SSd but i don't want to spend the money on it? what should i do guys? Your the answer.

I want a Lamborghini but I don't want to spend the money on it.

What are you asking?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

@Travis_Odell said:

Steal one.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Travis_Odell

@C_Rule: This boy just might be on to something......hmmm

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Travis_Odell

@FelipeInside: aye save your money big guy.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 C_Rule

This thread gave me the extra motivation I needed to buy a 500GB Samsung EVO. Thanks lads.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By FelipeInside

@C_Rule said:

This thread gave me the extra motivation I needed to buy a 500GB Samsung EVO. Thanks lads.

I've heard good things about the Samsung EVO Series. Good choice. Enjoy.

Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts

@PredatorRules: you use SSDs for boot drives and the programs you use most. you dont use them for storage.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i like to use a 60 gb ssd as a cache. specifically on an h77 chipset in my gf's pc.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology.html

the main thing i like about it is how the intel software looks after everything. noticeably faster.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 FelipeInside

@CrownKingArthur said:

i like to use a 60 gb ssd as a cache. specifically on an h77 chipset in my gf's pc.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology.html

the main thing i like about it is how the intel software looks after everything. noticeably faster.

A friend of mine tested using an SSD as cache but then noticed the results were so small in speed increase that it wasn't worth it..?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#115  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@gearsofhalogeek said:

@PredatorRules: you use SSDs for boot drives and the programs you use most. you dont use them for storage.

You can use it for storage as well if you have the money. SSDs now come up to 4TB, I don't think the manufacturer or the company aimed for you to store OS and some small programs to fill 4TB...

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#116  Edited By True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Honestly a 250 gig SSD is great even for a gamer. Mine has 90 gigs free, and it contains my OS and the few games I will regularly play (Dota, Civ5, CSGO, TF2, etc...)

I understand that someone used to using a primary mechanical drive for their OS and your programs will think they have to have 1TB or at least 500 gigs, but you really don't need all that space. It's fine to have a smaller drive for the convenience of bootup of your most used applications. I used to have that exact same mindset but have adapted perfectly fine. Steam and Origin even let you easily install on multiple hard drives so you shouldn't have an excuse. They are affordable and make the pc experience much more enjoyable. At this stage I wouldn't even consider them luxury but simply a core staple of a gaming rig.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#117  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

@gearsofhalogeek said:

You can use it for storage as well if you have the money. SSDs now come up to 4TB, I don't think the manufacturer or the company aimed for you to store OS and some small programs to fill 4TB...

A link please.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
@horgen123 said:
@PredatorRules said:

@gearsofhalogeek said:

A link please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqM8kZOsdck

My bad it was 2TB, but we're getting there =)

As I predicted from the beginning, the SSDs 1TB-4TB would be standarts for any home PC while the PCIe SSDs would be used for gaming and video editing and other heavy duty programs.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 horgen  Moderator

That is a few more years from now. Unless something drastic happens with SSD prices.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 C_Rule

@PredatorRules said:
@horgen123 said:
@PredatorRules said:

@gearsofhalogeek said:

A link please.

As I predicted from the beginning, the SSDs 1TB-4TB would be standarts for any home PC while the PCIe SSDs would be used for gaming and video editing and other heavy duty programs.

Unlikely gamers will ever really adopt PCIe SSDs, not if current trends continue. Any performance gained from a PCIe SSD isn't worth the loss of a PCI slot.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 C_Rule

Look at the ASUS RAIDR, for example, all it has is high sequential reads and writes. If you were to instead by a 500GB EVO, you'd save yourself ~$50, get double the capacity and a better performing drive.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 GeryGo  Moderator

@C_Rule said:

@PredatorRules said:
@horgen123 said:
@PredatorRules said:

@gearsofhalogeek said:

A link please.

Unlikely gamers will ever really adopt PCIe SSDs, not if current trends continue. Any performance gained from a PCIe SSD isn't worth the loss of a PCI slot.

Never used my PCIe slot for anything but my soundcard which is today pointless, so basically even if you have a 50$ MOBO it always comes with 1-2 additional PCIe slots, so you never even lost anything.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 GeryGo  Moderator

@C_Rule said:

Look at the ASUS RAIDR, for example, all it has is high sequential reads and writes. If you were to instead by a 500GB EVO, you'd save yourself ~$50, get double the capacity and a better performing drive.

Asus RAIDR is 240Gb at 800Mb/s for 350$ while the Samsung EVO 250Gb is at 500~ Mb/s for 170$ so basically you go win win by small with the EVO because you get extra 10Gb and the price/performance ratio is with the EVO side.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I'm planning on getting a 120GB samsung EVO in a few weeks.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@kraken2109 said:

Good choice.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 horgen  Moderator

@kraken2109 said:

With the prices now, why not 180 or 240GB?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@horgen123: 250GB is twice the price of the 120GB and the 120GB will fit windows and most of my applications. There are other things I'm planning on buying soon (e.g. headphones) and I'm a student so I can't go round spending loads of money.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

A friend of mine tested using an SSD as cache but then noticed the results were so small in speed increase that it wasn't worth it..?

well, she used to be one of the last to load up a level in BF4, now she is always one of the first to load up. also the reboot time is much faster.

and yeah, anything that isn't cached will load slow.

but seriously - it think it's a great option because pairing a ~60 gig ssd with a big hard disc is inexpensive. we haven't measured anything, but we've both been really happy with the results. specifically it's a 2gb 7200 rpm seagate paired with a 60 gb kingston ssd.

and again to reiterate that it requires no management. pretty good considering i put this set up into a n00b's pc i mean woman's. lol!

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

This guy has apparently never used an SSD. There is no place for a 10k or 15k hard drive with SSD. SSD will thrive because they are fast, lower power and don't have any moving parts.

Large HDD will stay around, but the majority of people are fine with 256gb or 512gb SSD instead of a 3tb or 4tb drive (which is only useful if you are a professional with a lot of data or have lots of movies or something)

I think we will see more SSD that run on PCIe (or thunderbolt which has it internally) because the latency is so much lower than SATA and the potential speed is higher.

I think that HDD and SSDs coexist for a long time if not forever.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 GeryGo  Moderator

@Jacobistheman said:

but the majority of people are fine with 256gb or 512gb SSD instead of a 3tb or 4tb drive (which is only useful if you are a professional with a lot of data or have lots of movies or something)

What? you're saying that if someone would offer you a 4TB SSD you wouldn't take it? you seriously wouldn't replace your slow HDD to SSD?

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@Jacobistheman said:

but the majority of people are fine with 256gb or 512gb SSD instead of a 3tb or 4tb drive (which is only useful if you are a professional with a lot of data or have lots of movies or something)

What? you're saying that if someone would offer you a 4TB SSD you wouldn't take it? you seriously wouldn't replace your slow HDD to SSD?

You have what I said completely backwards.

What I am saying is that if the average consumer has the choice between a 4TB drive and a 256gb ssd for the same price, that consumer would be better off with an SSD. There are cases where people need that 3 or 4TB, but most people don't.

I haves SSDs for my OSes/some programs on my Desktop/Tablet/Laptop/HTPC and some 3TB hdd for my moves/music/storage.