the age of violence...is a joke

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

I will be trolled or called a troll for what i have to say, and will offend people when i say it.

but if people decide to open their eyes they might actually see what point i am making.

rated M for mature, even if it just has violence. lol

the holy bible, one of the most violent stories ever told. and kids are urged and even pushed in the direction of learning about and reading this "book"

but you have to be 18 years old to buy halo or cod4.... lol tisk tisk tisk..

and alot of you will say oh your just saying this cause your a kid or atheist lol. im no kid, or an athiest.

i actually think for myself and take responsilbility for myself.

seriously some kid shoots up a school and boom, its halo or gta or soem other games fault because of the violence, but it cant possibly have anything to do with this violent book we put in their hands every chance we get to with the holy bible.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

I don't know how the bible came into this topic, but I agree that some games are given too high of ratings.

Does CoD even show blood?

I just looked at the two games next to me that are both M rated, The Witcher deserves it, but BIoshock doesn't, that game is hardly mature (but great)

Doesn't really matter to me though, im 22 :)

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
I think it is more rediculous that any hint of any kind of sexual content will have the ESRB up in arms and giving you an AO rating...
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

I think bioshock got mature rating because you aim at your gun at a little girl..

When i was little, i saw one of those jesus movies, a 90's one, since that movie, i was scared to death from crosses until i completed 8 years old.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

violence in games is definitely an issue, same with violence in every other medium of entertainment. i don't think we need to argue about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i don't know why it's always gaming. i'd have to say that I've "learned" more violent things from movies and even TV shows on channels you don't need cable to get.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
"Does CoD even show blood? " Hope your not talking about Call of Duty: World at War....cause that even had body parts flying off....lol
Synesthesia-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Synesthesia-
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts
I think the rating servers its purpose well. A lot of things are illegal in the U.S. until you're 18/17, but a lot of teenagers take advantage of them as early as 13. Weed, not related to violence but is also politically incorrect, is illegal. Does that stop people from getting high? Nope! It merely reduces the amount of people involved and the amount of pot one can smoke by eliminating "good-doers" and increasing prices. If there wasn't a limit, well...
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="rmfd341"]

I think bioshock got mature rating because you aim at your gun at a little girl..

When i was little, i saw one of those jesus movies, a 90's one, since that movie, i was scared to death from crosses until i completed 8 years old.

.. Or the fact its extremely graphic such as a crazy doctor cutting open a woman, and slamming her to make her stop moving.. Bioshock if it were a movie would be rated R..
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
i don't know why it's always gaming. i'd have to say that I've "learned" more violent things from movies and even TV shows on channels you don't need cable to get.bulletsword
There is a difference between watching a act and being in actual control, perputrating the act.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lach0121

i think my point is quite missed actually...

have the ratings in place as they are and reduce the youth of violence... great idea, kinda hard to do when the before mentioned book that so many kids are forced to read has plenty of violence and genocide to go around.

what im saying is yes there is violence in games, and movies and music....

but lets look at whats been a hell of a lot more violent for a lot longer and is forced upon young people.....

and look i cant stand marlyn manson. but he was blamed for columbine at first....

now if some kid does it, "oh he learned it off halo"

but couldnt possibily be from the fact that "god" wasnt getting his way so he killed off basically teh entire world with a flood... no couldnt be things like that, or firey hell or anything like that.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
I do agree that there's something very ironic and probably hypocritical in that media is being held to diffrent standards. Material that a widly accepted or revered through society (Specifically the Christian Bible, but also other classic works of litterature) will sometimes contain very bloody or goory stuff while still considered ok, or even good for kids to read.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#13 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
They are of completely different mediums. A video game is something you interact with and where you participate in the violence (Hey I'm not saying I don't enjoy it) The BIble is a book that recounts stories - some of which are violent - but many of these stories are not to be taken literally and children are told to read these stories as a way of communicating moral ideas and values in today's society. Also someone recently told me that reading the Bible can give you an understanding of how far the world has come since those primitive days. I'm not a fan of The Bible myself - I am more of a Twilight man - but its really unfair to make those criticisms and comparisons between games and a book like that.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lach0121

They are of completely different mediums. A video game is something you interact with and where you participate in the violence (Hey I'm not saying I don't enjoy it) The BIble is a book that recounts stories - some of which are violent - but many of these stories are not to be taken literally and children are told to read these stories as a way of communicating moral ideas and values in today's society. Also someone recently told me that reading the Bible can give you an understanding of how far the world has come since those primitive days. I'm not a fan of The Bible myself - I am more of a Twilight man - but its really unfair to make those criticisms and comparisons between games and a book like that. biggest_loser
see this is where i will say, it is a form of entertainment, vs. a form of entertainment.. just the first form of entertainment (bible-religions of all kinds) is used as a way to conduct slavery...

and i will not be able to put more on here, cause i will end up hurting some religious peoples feelings in here real quick if i do. if someone were to morally go by whats on WoW, they wouldnt be anymore out of line than to go by that book morally... that book, and ones like it are one of the top reasons for war, in history. and its lived by morally... but thats ok.. because we can blame it all on videogames, different books, and tv.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]They are of completely different mediums. A video game is something you interact with and where you participate in the violence (Hey I'm not saying I don't enjoy it) The BIble is a book that recounts stories - some of which are violent - but many of these stories are not to be taken literally and children are told to read these stories as a way of communicating moral ideas and values in today's society. Also someone recently told me that reading the Bible can give you an understanding of how far the world has come since those primitive days. I'm not a fan of The Bible myself - I am more of a Twilight man - but its really unfair to make those criticisms and comparisons between games and a book like that. Lach0121

see this is where i will say, it is a form of entertainment, vs. a form of entertainment.. just the first form of entertainment (bible-religions of all kinds) is used as a way to conduct slavery...

and i will not be able to put more on here, cause i will end up hurting some religious peoples feelings in here real quick if i do. if someone were to morally go by whats on WoW, they wouldnt be anymore out of line than to go by that book morally... that book, and ones like it are one of the top reasons for war, in history. and its lived by morally... but thats ok.. because we can blame it all on videogames, different books, and tv.

Thats completely wrong. The Bible is not used as a form of slavery at all. People are not forced into it against their own will. They don't have to obey whats in it at all. You cannot simply label the Bible as the cause of war. Thats garbage. One of God's mistakes was to give man freedom to do whatever he wanted to. Think about this. Man makes the choice to kill even if he knows it will anger God. In other words, one does not have to follow The Bible. It is completely interpretable as to what it asks people to do. Some fanatics interpret books like Qur'an in their own way and then after they have committed a crime say that their book allows it. Back on track now: people criticise games because games have a frivolous and irresponsible approach to violence. There is little consequence to it in a game. I think its annoying too but we can't attack religion like that. Nosireebob.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lach0121
[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]They are of completely different mediums. A video game is something you interact with and where you participate in the violence (Hey I'm not saying I don't enjoy it) The BIble is a book that recounts stories - some of which are violent - but many of these stories are not to be taken literally and children are told to read these stories as a way of communicating moral ideas and values in today's society. Also someone recently told me that reading the Bible can give you an understanding of how far the world has come since those primitive days. I'm not a fan of The Bible myself - I am more of a Twilight man - but its really unfair to make those criticisms and comparisons between games and a book like that. biggest_loser

Thats completely wrong. The Bible is not used as a form of slavery at all. People are not forced into it against their own will. They don't have to obey whats in it at all. You cannot simply label the Bible as the cause of war. Thats garbage. One of God's mistakes was to give man freedom to do whatever he wanted to. Think about this. Man makes the choice to kill even if he knows it will anger God. In other words, one does not have to follow The Bible. It is completely interpretable as to what it asks people to do. Some fanatics interpret books like Qur'an in their own way and then after they have committed a crime say that their book allows it. Back on track now: people criticise games because games have a frivolous and irresponsible approach to violence. There is little consequence to it in a game. I think its annoying too but we can't attack religion like that. Nosireebob.

lol i see you have that veil tightly secure dont you.

and you cant see thru it.

lol... religion is slaver.

it isnt slavery by conquering, its slavery by submission... lol and this is a prime example..

humanity cant evolve with this tradition and religious ball and chain... because religion and tradition directly oppose change, and you cant evolve without change.

im done here, argueing with the "faithful" is like argueing with a tree.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i don't think kids/people that r catholic read the bible unless they r really Catholic
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Lach0121"] see this is where i will say, it is a form of entertainment, vs. a form of entertainment.. just the first form of entertainment (bible-religions of all kinds) is used as a way to conduct slavery...

Lach0121

it isnt slavery by conquering, its slavery by submission... lol and this is a prime example..

humanity cant evolve with this tradition and religious ball and chain... because religion and tradition directly oppose change, and you cant evolve without change.

Religion can be conservative - there is no doubt the Vatican is. But there are things that religion teaches people - life lessons - that are important and timeless and will be passed on no matter how much you evolve or change the world. Even if you created and evolved into a world without religion you cannot forget the past and what we have learnt from religion like "Love Thy Neighbour" or "honour thy mother and father". And I can assure you that my veil does come off whenever I play Left 4 Dead.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] Thats completely wrong. The Bible is not used as a form of slavery at all. People are not forced into it against their own will. They don't have to obey whats in it at all. You cannot simply label the Bible as the cause of war. Thats garbage. One of God's mistakes was to give man freedom to do whatever he wanted to. Think about this. Man makes the choice to kill even if he knows it will anger God. In other words, one does not have to follow The Bible. It is completely interpretable as to what it asks people to do. Some fanatics interpret books like Qur'an in their own way and then after they have committed a crime say that their book allows it. Back on track now: people criticise games because games have a frivolous and irresponsible approach to violence. There is little consequence to it in a game. I think its annoying too but we can't attack religion like that. Nosireebob. biggest_loser

Religion can be conservative - there is no doubt the Vatican is. But there are things that religion teaches people - life lessons - that are important and timeless and will be passed on no matter how much you evolve or change the world. Even if you created and evolved into a world without religion you cannot forget the past and what we have learnt from religion like "Love Thy Neighbour" or "honour thy mother and father". And I can assure you that my veil does come off whenever I play Left 4 Dead.

it also teaches you things like "thou shall not have any gods before me, for i am a jeolous god" and in the same book, states that "envy" is one of the seven deadly sins...

now im not saying that everything in teh bible is bad, but people do not understand all it is " is a book of fables" stories based on astrological events.

and the only thing in human history that has evovled is technology, thats it,,,,, not the mind/brain.

and in the future i think (cant be proven, neither can the opposite) that as far as histroy, they will say it was a divided society that conquerd other societies for profit or holy agenda....

but you could of learned all the love thy neighbor and honor thy mother and father somewhere else... without the enslaving of the mind, obey the law of the land or youhave sinned, and if you have sinned you will burn forever in a lake of fire... thats control... which is slavery.

lol nice comment about left 4 dead lol.

i dont mean to be hurting peoples feelings, its just people need to start opening up their eyes. for thousands of years this has been happening..

"an organism that fights with itsself is doomed"

and humanity has not yet learned... " we (all life in existance) are all star dust... harvesting star light"

there is no need to be afraid...

there is no need to be in control of anything but yourself.

regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

I will be trolled or called a troll for what i have to say, and will offend people when i say it.

but if people decide to open their eyes they might actually see what point i am making.

the holy bible, one of the most violent stories ever told. and kids are urged and even pushed in the direction of learning about and reading this "book"

and alot of you will say oh your just saying this cause your a kid or atheist lol. im no kid, or an athiest.

seriously some kid shoots up a school and boom, its halo or gta or soem other games fault because of the violence, but it cant possibly have anything to do with this violent book we put in their hands every chance we get to with the holy bible.

Lach0121

i don't know...Maybe because the games are the ONLY who offer you to make the choices, the possibility to shoot someone with your own hand (even if it's with the mouse and keyboard), the possibility to slash someone into pieces and laughing at the same time, the interactivity. I really don't remember books and movies giving you this option. You just read/watch the story unfold and use your imagination. The Bible may be a violent book in some cases, but it's not as bloody as Jericho for example, even using your imagination. So God almost killed humanity...well he's the GOD - he has that right. Or maybe you call the crucifixion a violent thing, we must keep in mind that the Bible is also the primary history book of the Middle East, so that's just history. You can't blame history!

As long as they don't go overboard with the ratings or ban the games for no real reasons, I'm satisfied.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lach0121

i do not mean to offend, im just trying to do my part for a better world... yeah call it a fairy tale, but the ones who do call it that, have already given up.

this is something im very passionate about.

and gaming is one too, but i see so many things try to bring gaming down...

hell movies too, and music... i prefer music with no vocals, but it is still too blamed for violence as well... i guess they claim that if it has a bpm of 165bpm and has a guitar its a cause for violence...

i mean look at ring around the rosey.....

its not just the bible or religion.

kids should not have to grow up in a sheltered world... and they shouldnt have to see it for what it is (at the moment) but if they dont, then they cant change the world...

but this is only my idea... just as any law, or religion, or diety or history,,, its an idea...

and the truth is measured by how many people agree.... thats how the world works.... but that isnt truth.. thats social authentication.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lach0121
[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

regnumekal

i don't know...Maybe because the games are the ONLY who offer you to make the choices, the possibility to shoot someone with your own hand (even if it's with the mouse and keyboard), the possibility to slash someone into pieces and laughing at the same time, the interactivity. I really don't remember books and movies giving you this option. You just read/watch the story unfold and use your imagination. The Bible may be a violent book in some cases, but it's not as bloody as Jericho for example, even using your imagination. So God almost killed humanity...well he's the GOD - he has that right. Or maybe you call the crucifixion a violent thing, we must keep in mind that the Bible is also the primary history book of the Middle East, so that's just history. You can't blame history!

As long as they don't go overboard with the ratings or ban the games for no real reasons, I'm satisfied.

see i dont believe in your "god", and the bible is far worse than the game jericho, you may need to re-read. for real.. matter of fact where do you think all these horror movies and games and such get these ideas from..

oh heaven and hell, angels and demons lol... think about that for a minute....

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 biggest_loser
Yes but God is not applied to our human level, meaning that God does not have to follow the same rules as we do. He destroyed the old world in the Old Testament by flooding it to eradicate evil. We can never reach Gods power or greatness so he will always be above us.

now im not saying that everything in teh bible is bad, but people do not understand all it is " is a book of fables" stories based on astrological events.

Lach0121

You have no proof to suggest that the Bible is entirely ficticious - you weren't there so you can say whether the events recorded happened or not. Granted some are not to be taken literally since they are told to teach a moral lesson.

and the only thing in human history that has evovled is technology, thats it,,,,, not the mind/brain. and in the future i think (cant be proven, neither can the opposite) that as far as histroy, they will say it was a divided society that conquerd other societies for profit or holy agenda....

but you could of learned all the love thy neighbor and honor thy mother and father somewhere else... without the enslaving of the mind, obey the law of the land or youhave sinned, and if you have sinned you will burn forever in a lake of fire... thats control... which is slavery.

i dont mean to be hurting peoples feelings, its just people need to start opening up their eyes. for thousands of years this has been happening..

and humanity has not yet learned... " we (all life in existance) are all star dust... harvesting star light"

Lach0121

People have changed though in certain cultures. Not just technology. You don't see people stoning one another to death here in Australia for example. For technology to improve someone had to invent it as well and have a new way of thinking to design those technological elements.

I don't really get what you are saying: you are suggesting that you could learn something without religion through law and authority and yet that is slavery too - which is the same as Religion. So what do you suggest then?

Dude, this is a PC Gaming Board. You might want to take this to Off Topic - which is where this post is heading - you started off talking about games now its freeing your mind. Sorry.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lach0121
Yes but God is not applied to our human level, meaning that God does not have to follow the same rules as we do. He destroyed the old world in the Old Testament by flooding it to eradicate evil. We can never reach Gods power or greatness so he will always be above us.

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

biggest_loser

You have no proof to suggest that the Bible is entirely ficticious - you weren't there so you can say whether the events recorded happened or not. Granted some are not to be taken literally since they are told to teach a moral lesson.

and the only thing in human history that has evovled is technology, thats it,,,,, not the mind/brain. and in the future i think (cant be proven, neither can the opposite) that as far as histroy, they will say it was a divided society that conquerd other societies for profit or holy agenda....

Lach0121

People have changed though in certain cultures. Not just technology. You don't see people stoning one another to death here in Australia for example. For technology to improve someone had to invent it as well and have a new way of thinking to design those technological elements.

I don't really get what you are saying: you are suggesting that you could learn something without religion through law and authority and yet that is slavery too - which is the same as Religion. So what do you suggest then?

Dude, this is a PC Gaming Board. You might want to take this to Off Topic - which is where this post is heading - you started off talking about games now its freeing your mind. Sorry.

when i speak of evolution i dont mean in such a way as you speak... i mean its a lop sided leap for one... we can create such great technology, but still kill ourselves with it no we didnt really evolve, we only learned how to create something a little better....

and I do not believe in your god so,,, i believe man created god in his own image. your saying god is above the rules in which he has stated does not apply with me. i didnt say anything about law and authority is the way to go. lol you didnt read it right, i said do away with it..... all.

you dont see people stoning each other because it isnt in the tradition to anymore... now we drop bombs, and throw the words terrorism and patriotism around loosely.

let it be a pc gaming board.. i figured it was gonna get locked before this anyways.

but who does it make right, me or you...

and how will that be determined... by turning to ones faith... or turning to ones peers to have social authentication to be taken as truth again??

is that the only "truth" humanity knows or cares to ever know....?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58542 Posts

I find it ironic that books come with no rating (iirc) whatsoever. I remember going into Barnes and Noble and getting a stephen king book when I was 11 years old lol.

I am not saying its wrong lol. Its just not very fair.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lach0121

I find it ironic that books come with no rating (iirc) whatsoever. I remember going into Barnes and Noble and getting a stephen king book when I was 11 years old lol.

mrbojangles25

yeah its like a double standard.

i can read about monsters hacking and slashing and blood and screams in my mind, but oohhh i cant possibly view a version of somone else's concept and vision on it in a videogame...

people justify the double standard by interaction...

you keep turning the page on the book.. its no different.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
I think books should not have ratings, and neither should anything else really. Personally I think books are probably more influentially/suggestive than any other medium. Yet a child can go into any bookstore and buy any book, as long as it doesn't have any notty pictures...
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#28 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

I don't know how the bible came into this topic, but I agree that some games are given too high of ratings.

I just looked at the two games next to me that are both M rated, The Witcher deserves it, but BIoshock doesn't, that game is hardly mature (but great)

harrisi17
Did you play the campaign You shoot of a guys leg
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lach0121
[QUOTE="harrisi17"]

Toriko42

wait it was an arm that i blew off in cod4, not a leg.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Lach0121

i can read about monsters hacking and slashing and blood and screams in my mind, but oohhh i cant possibly view a version of somone else's concept and vision on it in a videogame...

I find books even more vivid than something visual like a video game or movie. I remember reading books that described rape scenes for like 30 pages and I couldnt get that mental image out of my head. Idunno I suppose it just depends on if you like reading or not.

Meanwhile, while Ichi the Killer and Oldboy were pretty horrible in content, I got over them after a day or two.

I mean, in 7th grade (I think I was 12-13 at the time) I rememberr reading that shakespeare play where the girl gets her hands chopped off and they jam twigs up her wrists! WTF, mate?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lach0121
[QUOTE="Lach0121"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

mrbojangles25

I find books even more vivid than something visual like a video game or movie. I remember reading books that described rape scenes for like 30 pages and I couldnt get that mental image out of my head. Idunno I suppose it just depends on if you like reading or not.

Meanwhile, while Ichi the Killer and Oldboy were pretty horrible in content, I got over them after a day or two.

lol yeah i kinda agree really.

i love to read now... as long as its something i feel is worth reading.

i love to game too, lol again as long as its something i feel is worth playing lol.

your body can relax more while reading or watching tv, as compared to gaming.

unless your one of those ultimate readers that has to do it upside down. while bungie jumping lol.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
video games are still being treated unfairly by the masses/society because it's still young. Wait till gamers will grow up (i'm referring to age not maturity) and even more gamers will be made through gamer parents.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Yes but God is not applied to our human level, meaning that God does not have to follow the same rules as we do. He destroyed the old world in the Old Testament by flooding it to eradicate evil. We can never reach Gods power or greatness so he will always be above us.

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Lach0121

when i speak of evolution i dont mean in such a way as you speak... i mean its a lop sided leap for one... we can create such great technology, but still kill ourselves with it no we didnt really evolve, we only learned how to create something a little better....

and I do not believe in your god so,,, i believe man created god in his own image. your saying god is above the rules in which he has stated does not apply with me. i didnt say anything about law and authority is the way to go. lol you didnt read it right, i said do away with it..... all.

you dont see people stoning each other because it isnt in the tradition to anymore... now we drop bombs, and throw the words terrorism and patriotism around loosely.

let it be a pc gaming board.. i figured it was gonna get locked before this anyways.

and how will that be determined... by turning to ones faith... or turning to ones peers to have social authentication to be taken as truth again??

But arguably after invention like the Atomic Bomb people are more aware of technology and how it can change our lives and the world forever.

You believe man created god in his own image. So you do acknowledge the existance of God in someway?

There are some countries that do drop bombs - but there are a lot that don't. Also, arguably violence against terrorism is not religiously based as it was in the olden days of say Christ - believe it or not - some would say its about liberation and justice.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrbojangles25

video games are still being treated unfairly by the masses/society because it's still young. Wait till gamers will grow up (i'm referring to age not maturity) and even more gamers will be made through gamer parents.lordlors

we are at and even beyond that point.

Not to be a jerk, but we will have to wait until the "old guard" (aka our parents generation) dies off before we can adjust to this point. Cartoons are in the same boat as well.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

But arguably after invention like the Atomic Bomb people are more aware of technology and how it can change our lives and the world forever.

You believe man created god in his own image. So you do acknowledge the existance of God in someway?

There are some countries that do drop bombs - but there are a lot that don't. Also, arguably violence against terrorism is not religiously based as it was in the olden days of say Christ - believe it or not - some would say its about liberation and justice.

yeah imagine the 300,000 + people employed for the manhattan project (atomic bomb) and all that money and time put into that could be put into soething to help humanity.. not destroy it...

second i dont acknowledge the existance of god, i acknowledge that people believe there is an existance of god...i dont believe in a god like you do. or any other religious follower/lamb.

third i didnt say anything about terrorism as being religously based... rememebr you made that connection not i.. lol

the stonings come from somthing deeper than a god lol, it comes from difference, and religioun directly opposes difference...

there is but one god, only one way into heaven bla bla bla.

but religion gives them a theme/setting if you will to do the stonings for the people that they have been taught were different over such a long period of time..and sadly religion is on of the main things that "let them see they were all different" lol

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lach0121

well biggest loser, it has been fun, i do have to say, you were one of the more level headed people that opposed..

but i like opposition. cause in this case, the opposition still has us working together, sharing information, without going for each other's throats. or atleast typing that we will lol.

cause to truly be proven wrong, should be celebrated for a higher level of learning..

but society has taught for so long that being wrong, is associated with failure.

but i am getting tired, and myGF is getting in from a flight tomorrow..

its good to have intelligent conversations like this without getting all militant lol.

so much appreciated. and goodnight friend.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#37 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="harrisi17"]

Lach0121

Yeah I realised that after I typed it, either or you blow off a limb. Automatic M rating.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"][QUOTE="Toriko42"] Did you play the campaign You shoot of a guys legToriko42

Yeah I realised that after I typed it, either or you blow off a limb. Automatic M rating.

true, lol

at first i thought you were talkign about cod world at war lol, then i got to thinking that sounds alot like sniper mission on cod4, but it was an arm lol.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I do think there is a big difference between reading a book and seeing actual graphic imagery on a screen (whether in a game or a movie). A book is very much about interpretation, and one person will visualise a scene quite differently from another person, or with some people they don't even experience 'imagery' when reading. A movie or game is different because the image is there in your face, along with the associated tension (assuming the director/developer is doing their job) whether you like it or not.

I can quite happily sit and read 'Night Of The Crabs', which is about giant crabs mutilating and eating people (and any other horror novel with similar graphic scenes), but I wouldn't want to go and see a splatter-gore movie like Hostel, etc. Yeah, when I was in my late teens I watched a lot of horror movies (like Day Of The Dead, American Werewolf in London, and other gorey horror of the 80s) and had no issue with it, but a lot of that was tame compared to the splatter-gore of today and I just don't want that kind of imagery in my head. Hell, my wife watches CSI Miami/NY and it seems to be more and more about cut up bodies, etc., which I don't particularly want to see these days so I don't watch those programmes. I don't play games like Postal for the same reason.

I read Lord Foul's Bane (fantasy novel which contains a rape scene) and The Rats (horror novel with sex scenes and people being eaten alive by rats) when I was eleven years old. So yeah, I do agree that there should be some age ratings (or at least warnings) on some novels if it contains scenes of sex or violence. I think the only novel I've come across that did have a warning was 'Blown' by Philip Jose Farmer, and that was mostly about the 'sexually explicit' content, rather than one or two grisly scenes in that book.

Reading novels like that didn't impact on me much as a kid - but if I'd seen a movie containing such scenes, it probably would have had a far greater impact. Playing a game where you are in control of the actions of the character on screen makes it even more immersive. I'm not one of these people who blames games and movies for real violence, because its nonsense, but I do think kids in general shouldn't be exposed to some of the graphic imagery in those mediums these days because it will impact some of them in a negative way until they're mature enough. As a parent, I make a judgement call when it comes to my own kids, and yes, I do allow them to play several games (and watch some movies) rated higher than their age - largely because some of the games don't deserve the higher ratings, or I feel they (my eldest son in particular) are mature enough to handle it.

As for religion - well, we all know that's been the cause of some of the bloodiest conflicts in history (because of the extreme beliefs of people), but trying to equate the bible with a graphically violent video game is just nonsense.

strider_ATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 strider_ATI
Member since 2008 • 735 Posts
[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]They are of completely different mediums. A video game is something you interact with and where you participate in the violence (Hey I'm not saying I don't enjoy it) The BIble is a book that recounts stories - some of which are violent - but many of these stories are not to be taken literally and children are told to read these stories as a way of communicating moral ideas and values in today's society. Also someone recently told me that reading the Bible can give you an understanding of how far the world has come since those primitive days. I'm not a fan of The Bible myself - I am more of a Twilight man - but its really unfair to make those criticisms and comparisons between games and a book like that. biggest_loser

Those are wise words my friend :)
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lach0121

well i see we dont agree, but thats ok... i see denial is still a way to go with most people honestly... anyway, have fun thinking what you want, i understand that it might still be too early for you all to understand.. but i dont hold it against you...

how could i?

its what you have been taught your entire lives.

but my work here is done...

laters, and keep on gaming.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts
I think it is more rediculous that any hint of any kind of sexual content will have the ESRB up in arms and giving you an AO rating... Captain__Tripps
I agree. But I also agree with the OP. Halo should probably gotten a T rating. Well, it didn't make much difference anyway. :lol: And yes, Bioshock deserved an M rating...
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lach0121
[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]I think it is more rediculous that any hint of any kind of sexual content will have the ESRB up in arms and giving you an AO rating... Ninja_Dog
I agree. But I also agree with the OP. Halo should probably gotten a T rating. Well, it didn't make much difference anyway. :lol: And yes, Bioshock deserved an M rating...

you know off-topic, but i only played bioshock on teh xbox360, and not for real long either.. im seriously thinking about getting it for pc, i mean my machine should be able to max it out without any real problems. but i think i can get it new for under 12 dollars... and hey, even if the game utterly blows, which i dont think it will, i only spent 12 dollars on it lol.