TCR ruined Amnesia AMFP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I know I'm months late for the party, but I just finished the game (bought it during the humble sale) and I must say I'm extremely dissapointed and even mad at what they did to this game.

Remember like 2 days ago when I made a thread saying how Gone home was really overrated and that it was not a game? Well, I was hoping I'd never have to repeat an experience like that again, but it turns out that AMFP was exactly the same.

It's a walking simulator, they removed EVERYTHING that made the game scary, the inventory gone, health items gone, physics interaction gone, sanity system gone, it's all gone, now all you do is walk and maybe 2 or 3 times drag some object around to place it somewhere.

Hell, the enemies even DESPAWN after they lose your trail (which happens very fast and even at dead end corridors).

And then, I go ahead and read an interview to the chinese room about the game, not only did they managed to sound like overly pretentious brats who just point fingers rather than listening to their critics (they have this "if you don't like our games it's because you are an idiot who cant understand art!" view of the players). And they talked about the mechanics from the previous games.

They said that they removed them because they didn't want to make the same game, which is fine, I totally get that, it's a very good point...but the thing is: it's an unfinished point, ok, don't put the same mechanics but at least PUT IN SOMETHING DIFFERENT, you are taking something away without putting something new in place, you are essentially removing piece and bits of something simply to claim "there, it's not the same as the last one!", that is as if a painter would simply scratch a huge line right in the middle of his painting to claim "now its a completely different thing!".

Seriously, if TCR were car manufacturers, they would most likely have a conversation like this one:

"We need a new car that is different to the other cars that already exist"

-"How about a car without a steering wheel?"

-"you mean like controlled by analog sticks or something?"

-"controlled? hah, no, it will only be able to go in a straight line!"

-"brilliant, we're going with that! everyone will love it, it's so unique!"

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Remember like 2 days ago when I posted on yout thread to do some research 1st before complaining? well guess what critic here on Gamespot reduce the score to 7.5 from original game that gave it 8; Oh and guess what again? users overall score got lowered from original game 8.7 to 7.4 - doesn't all those things tell you it was a bit of a let down?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#3 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Remember like 2 days ago when I posted on yout thread to do some research 1st before complaining? well guess what critic here on Gamespot reduce the score to 7.5 from original game that gave it 8; Oh and guess what again? users overall score got lowered from original game 8.7 to 7.4 - doesn't all those things tell you it was a bit of a let down?

It has an 8 here.

And the difference from gone home, is that amnesia was an established franchise.

When you buy a call of duty game, you don't expect to see that all guns were removed in favor of cooking instruments (and not deadly ones mind you)

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Maybe I'd actually like AMFP. Couldn't get myself to keep playing the first one. Got boring after the first 1-2 hours.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Interesting take. Did you like Dear Esther? I hated Gone Home, it was such a letdown I was so excited for it since I loved Dear Ester.