SWTOR: BioWare testing the MEGA-Server

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

http://games.on.net/2012/09/help-star-wars-the-old-republic-test-their-new-megaservers/

If it works well, will solve the issue of low population servers.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24003 Posts

So instead of fragmenting the population in many servers, they merge all US EAST players to one server where they all can play together.

No more servers serving as an artificial barrier.

I have no objection to this. I always thought the server segregration system was an absurd thing for themepark mmos to have anyway.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside

So instead of fragmenting the population in many servers, they merge all US EAST players to one server where they all can play together.

I have no objection to this. I always thought the server segregration system was an absurd thing for themepark mmos to have anyway.

Maroxad

Exactly. One of the mistakes BioWare made was to cave in to all the whinning and crying about putting up new servers when the queues were long. They should have kept the same servers but just increased the cap. This will be good for SWTOR since everyone will be on ONE server.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

won't save this pathetic game.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24003 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

FelipeInside

Exactly. One of the mistakes BioWare made was to cave in to all the whinning and crying about putting up new servers when the queues were long. They should have kept the same servers but just increased the cap. This will be good for SWTOR since everyone will be on ONE server.

One of the mistakes Bioware made was to have a shard system like this in teh first place.

They should have done it like TSW and GW2.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Nah the BIGGEST mistake bioware made was 1.2..Changing the healers half way through the year..Killing most of the healers in the game..It was the straw that killed the camels back so to speek..Myself i had to relearn how to heal a waste of a day in my eyes..After most of the healers quit the game just died a quick death...Trying to move every one to one server is showing how far this game has pummled this isnt good no matter how one looks at it..

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

they are reeeeeeally late on trying this

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

A good idea in theory but It's probably already too late with the release of Guild Wars 2 and the upcoming WoW expansion.

But it's something that future MMOs should consider doing. Got to hand to Bioware - they're nothing if not imaginative.

gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

DCUO did this as well and it turned out quite well for what I saw the last time I was in there. Before that the worlds were quite empty.

Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

I was thinking of the marketting of this game the other day. How it won dozens of awards a couple years before it came out. Yeah

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I wonder how much this is costing them. It might be cheaper to do what Blizzard does. Put all the servers in the same building. Then just real time send character data around like they did for Cross Realm Dungeons/Raids and now Zones.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi

now that I think about this....expect a massive framerate dip with all those players under one hood. THe space stations already have 200-300 people on them at once and it drops the FPS down to 10-15

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11796 Posts

now that I think about this....expect a massive framerate dip with all those players under one hood. THe space stations already have 200-300 people on them at once and it drops the FPS down to 10-15

wis3boi

This was the first negative thing about it that came to mind.

I expect to see/hear many complaints about games crashing, over-heating, and slideshowing in cities, once this goes into affect.

Other than that I don't see a problem with it. If this isn't a problem, I welcome it, as I want to check it out again after its F2P. See if they fixed some of the issues introduced by previous patches.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

they are reeeeeeally late on trying this

wis3boi
My thoughts exactly. I said it a long time ago.. they handled the whole server thing very poorly.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

wis3boi
Weren't the fleet lag problems fixed? I played it a few weeks ago and it was fine on the space station with crowds.
Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts

wis3boi
This has already been happening since server transfers. They're generally 3 to 5 instances of a fleet at peak times on some servers and some really healthy populations, they've been wanting to do super servers for awhile but haven't had the tech in place yet.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elann2008
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

FelipeInside
Weren't the fleet lag problems fixed? I played it a few weeks ago and it was fine on the space station with crowds.

It's fine on my system. (see below). I was on the fleet with as much as 300+ people. I didn't even know that was possible or I was seeing things because the most I've ever seen before transferring to Harbringer, was like 30-40 people at the most. This was how bad it was in terms of low-population. Back to the fleet I was on with a lot of players; it ran incredibly smooth for the most part with a few slight stuttering here and there. For someone OCD like me, it was fine.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Elann2008

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

One of the mistakes Bioware made was to have a shard system like this in teh first place.

I think Arena.net handled servers the best. Anyone I've asked, would have overflow over server queues any day of the week. Kudos to Anet. TSW had the right idea and ambition in their single-server technology but the game had some nasty data-fetching/loading, in DX9. There were some glaring flaws with that server structure, but a neat idea nonetheless.

Oh, and the horrible chat channel system errors/bugs was the final straw for me. I've never seen an MMO with broken chat like that. ever.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

GW 2 just stabbed TOR in the face. I don't see any posible way this game recovers

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Elann2008

I think Arena.net handled servers the best. Anyone I've asked, would have overflow over server queues any day of the week. Kudos to Anet. TSW had the right idea and ambition in their single-server technology but the game had some nasty data-fetching/loading, in DX9. There were some glaring flaws with that server structure, but a neat idea nonetheless.

Oh, and the horrible chat channel system errors/bugs was the final straw for me. I've never seen an MMO with broken chat like that. ever.

gw2 takes the cake for me as smoothest and best crafted on release MMO I've ever played...or game in general

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

GW 2 just stabbed TOR in the face. I don't see any posible way this game recovers

Krelian-co
I wish BOTH could co-exist, because one is fantasy and the other is sci-fi (and Star Wars SciFi at that). Sometimes I don't feel like playing yet another fantasy MMO, like sometimes I don't feel like playing SciFi.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

FelipeInside

I wish BOTH could co-exist, because one is fantasy and the other is sci-fi (and Star Wars SciFi at that). Sometimes I don't feel like playing yet another fantasy MMO, like sometimes I don't feel like playing SciFi.

to be honest, gw2 does so much more correctly that its hard to boot up swtor anymore for me.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

wis3boi

to be honest, gw2 does so much more correctly that its hard to boot up swtor anymore for me.

I kinda agree, GW2 does lots of things well. But I'm sure I'll go back to SWTOR once GW2 wears off a bit. I get sick of fantasy after a while.