Student Laptop Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

satan112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 satan112
Member since 2003 • 215 Posts

I'm off to uni this year and I'm basically looking for a laptop for around £400 that will be able to play some reasonably decent games.

I'm not asking for Crysis HQ performance.. more along the lines of NWN2 and Guild Wars or C&C:TW. Is it possible to find a laptop that could run these games for around £400?

If so any recommendations or any laptops to avoid. Also I'm looking for laptops with dedicated cards like ATi or GeForce but is there anything wrong with a laptop with integrated graphics or will they never be able to run those games?

Also I'm from the UK so no US laptops because I'd want to avoid importing them.

Thanks for any help.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
one at that price will be a budget laptop and not designed for games it may play a few old games though just by haphasence, you'll get something with intergrated graphics and no dedicated video RAM
satan112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 satan112

Well I had found the Dell Inspiron 1720 with Geforce 8600 graphics card (256MB) for £399 but it's stop being sold at Currys or PC World and I don't know where else to look.

EDIT:

I've found this laptop. Its has dedicated graphics, what do people think?

mathwizard13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mathwizard13
Member since 2003 • 188 Posts
That's actually pretty good. 2 gigs ram, 8600GT (I have it on my macbook pro.... it is incredible), and the cpu speed is kinda low... but it's a dual core, so that will make up for it. I only hate Dell Desktops (uprgrading my video card and PSU was a joke...)
satan112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 satan112

Yeah the CPU is the only thing that bothered me but since I'm not looking for it to play top spec games I am not too bothered. Anyway my old PC used to have a single core 1.3GHz so its still better than that and I put up with that old thing until January this year. For higher spec games I'll just stick with my normal PC.

I reckon that I'll go for that ACER unless a better option comes along by the time my student finance kicks in (22nd September :D).

Still any other recommendations are very welcome!