This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by colibriosis (597 posts) -

How do I actually go about learning the storyline of Fallout? If I play from the first one to New Vegas will I actually learn the whole story or just vaguely?

#2 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Just read the fallout wiki.
#3 Posted by Lord_Nas3k (1492 posts) -

Each game has a seperate story. At most, they only make references to each other.

All you need to know is the world went kaplooie in 2077, and people survived by hiding in underground Vaults. Eventually people slowly left these Vaults and started repopulating what is now a wasteland. Have fun!

#4 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17470 posts) -

Fallout 1 and 2 are the most connected story wise. New Vegas makes some references to the first two games. Fallout 3 hardly makes any references to the past games due to it being located on the east coast (Fallout 1/2 and New Vegas are all on the west coast.)

#5 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -
Not only do you have to play Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas, you have to do a lot of exploring and read everything/talk to everyone to get a complete picture of the Fallout Universe. One of the easiest ways to catch up on the history of the first 2 games is to purchase either Fallout 1 or 2 on gog.com. There they let you download the Fallout Bible which is a pretty long document explaining everything from the first 2 games. Then play New Vegas so get the latest update to the universe on the West Coast. Fallout 3 doesn't deal with much so it can be skipped.
#6 Posted by rben21232 (568 posts) -

Not only do you have to play Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas, you have to do a lot of exploring and read everything/talk to everyone to get a complete picture of the Fallout Universe. One of the easiest ways to catch up on the history of the first 2 games is to purchase either Fallout 1 or 2 on gog.com. There they let you download the Fallout Bible which is a pretty long document explaining everything from the first 2 games. Then play New Vegas so get the latest update to the universe on the West Coast. Fallout 3 doesn't deal with much so it can be skipped.smerlus

good example of what not to do^

#7 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Read the wiki or download the fallout bible. Fallout 1, 2 lead into eachother, New Vegas is connected. Fallout 3 is the weird bastard child that doesn't fit chronologically at all and practically contradicts things in the Fallout series. It also has an atrocious plot. Tactics is another bastard child. Brotherhood of Steel is the game no one wants or likes to acknowledge exists. As far as I'm concerned the first Fallout still has the richest story and storytelling. There's some great stuff in the series in terms of universe story.
#8 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

The intro to 1, 2 and 3 clue you in, but they're all years separated from each other (3 and New Vegas are only a few years apart, but take place on opposite sides of the continent).

Basically, the world kind of split off to an alternate version of our world in the 1950's, where the tech promises of the future from the 50's came true and things like nuclear powered cars took off. In 2077, during a war between China and the US, nuclear bombs were launched covering the world and ending the war in 2 hours, starting the apocalypse and turning the world into a radioactive wasteland with a highly changed (mostly destroyed) eco system and weather.

Each game takes place after that, the first around 100 years after in California, the second takes place in 2241 in Nevada and California, Fallout 3 takes place in Maryland in 2277 (mostly Washington D.C and the surrounding areas), and New Vegas takes place in Vegas and the surrounding Nevada area (and a tiny bit of California).

The first one has you, a vault dweller, going out to find a water chip for your vault. The second has you looking for a GECK for your village as a descendant of the vault dweller. The third basically has you looking for your dad who left the vault (and is less stringent on your freedom). New Vegas has you shot in the head twice at the beginning and waking up in the middle of a looming war between two factions and trying to find the man who shot you (if you feel like it). They all take place in the same world and have the same concepts as well as copious references, but you don't really need to play one to play the other like you would with, say, Metal Gear Solid. Of course you can enjoy the references more.

Most games generally have you playing as an isolated member of the world (a vault dweller in 1 and 3, a villager from an isolated tribe in 2), though New Vegas actually gives your character a bit of a past in the wasteland and some minor history.

VaultDweller.jpg

(Fallout) The Vault Dweller of Vault 13, walking off alone in the wasteland.

Chosen_One_Car.jpg

(Falllout 2) The Chosen One standing with his back to a Highwayman you can find and drive.

who-played-the-dogs-out-the-realistic-do

(Fallout 3) The Lone Wanderer, with Dogmeat.

Courier_ending.jpg

(Fallout: New Vegas) The Courier, walking off into the Mojave.

#9 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -

rben21232
Are you high? If you want to know about games you shouldn't play them or read a large document written by one of the writers?
#10 Posted by _Judas_ (677 posts) -
I am also interested in this. Are any of the games in any way based on or influenced by novels in the same genre? I've tried to send an e-mail to Bethesda and to give me tips on where to turn and contact but so far no response. If I could send an e-mail to some of the guys of Black Isle... I am writing on the post-apocalyptic setting in my masters thesis and would love to include the Fallout-universe, but a good idea is to connect it with some novels
#11 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -
There haven't been any fallout Novels and if you can get a hand on the Fallout Bible, it has a lot of decent info on it. The only Video Game novel that I can recall that deals with a post apocalyptic setting is Rage. It's actually decent too as it includes a story that they seemed to have left out of the game.
#12 Posted by Treflis (11826 posts) -
The basic story is that around the 1940-1950ties natural resources started to get few and the countries fought over them, Being a alternate reality, the technology at the time was heavily influenced on nuclear power as well as various other ground break technological aspects. In any case China invades Canada and the US annex it, a full World war breaks out and nuclear bombs are dropped down on every city in every country. Literally scorching the entire earth. However during the growing tension the government create underground vaults to work as shelters from the bombs, each is self sufficient and with everything they need to wait for the radiation to vanish and the earth to return to normal, not everybody were chosen to get into a vault however. Those that didn't either died of the bombs, radiation, were mutated or were just really damn lucky. In any case after the war the world was a wasteland where you have to do whatever it takes to survive. Something that's a clear opposite of how those living in the vaults handle things. Essentially it's about how civilization is slowly building itself up from the ruins of the past.
#13 Posted by rben21232 (568 posts) -

[QUOTE="rben21232"]

smerlus

Are you high? If you want to know about games you shouldn't play them or read a large document written by one of the writers?

I'm simply saying that you don't need to play every game to learn what fallout is all about. The only fallout games I've played are 3 and New Vegas and I've browsed the fallout wiki a little bit, and I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable about the fallout universe. No need to make things overly complicated; the fallout universe isn't particularly hard to understand.

#14 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="rben21232"]

rben21232

I'm simply saying that you don't need to play every game to learn what fallout is all about. The only fallout games I've played are 3 and New Vegas and I've browsed the fallout wiki a little bit, and I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable about the fallout universe. No need to make things overly complicated; the fallout universe isn't particularly hard to understand.

So are you saying he shouldn't enjoy amazing games just because you didn't, and he shouldn't get involved into side plots and character relationships just because all you did was browse the story online? Because that's a good example of what not to do, especially if it means missing out on some great games that enrichen an understanding of the universe and its characters.

I mean, really?

That said, I love every Fallout game (except Brotherhood of Steel, which sucked big time) and I can't understand why there are so few people that feel that way. If they aren't telling people to skip the first ones and play the new ones, they're doing the opposite, or just hating on Fallout 3 or hating on New Vegas and loving the others. They're all fantastic titles, maybe some aren't for everyone (Fallout 2 got some hate for being too wacky compared to the first), but its a stellar series all around.

#15 Posted by rben21232 (568 posts) -

[QUOTE="rben21232"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"] Are you high? If you want to know about games you shouldn't play them or read a large document written by one of the writers?SPYDER0416

So are you saying he shouldn't enjoy amazing games just because you didn't, and he shouldn't get involved into side plots and character relationships just because all you did was browse the story online? Because that's a good example of what not to do, especially if it means missing out on some great games that enrichen an understanding of the universe and its characters.

I mean, really?

That said, I love every Fallout game (except Brotherhood of Steel, which sucked big time) and I can't understand why there are so few people that feel that way. If they aren't telling people to skip the first ones and play the new ones, they're doing the opposite, or just hating on Fallout 3 or hating on New Vegas and loving the others. They're all fantastic titles, maybe some aren't for everyone (Fallout 2 got some hate for being too wacky compared to the first), but its a stellar series all around.

To each his own, I guess. I've tried playing the original game before, I didn't find it fun. Sorry.

#16 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="rben21232"]

rben21232

I mean, really?

To each his own, I guess. I've tried playing the original game before, I didn't find it fun. Sorry.

To be honest I kind of hated it at first, but the impressive world still kept me going and after I got the hang of it I was in love with the game and had a grasp on my abilities. The first two games are super buggy (I guess its a series curse), but they are very awesome and classic RPG's in design that are remembered for good reason, and they definitely have amazing writing and neat quests to undertake.

#17 Posted by _Judas_ (677 posts) -
[QUOTE="smerlus"]There haven't been any fallout Novels and if you can get a hand on the Fallout Bible, it has a lot of decent info on it. The only Video Game novel that I can recall that deals with a post apocalyptic setting is Rage. It's actually decent too as it includes a story that they seemed to have left out of the game.

I'm not talking about Fallout-novels, I'm talking about other novels that might have inspired on,or a story, setting, or world where Fallout has been partially based upon. I'm guessing that the Fallout-universe is heavily inspired by post-apocalyptic movies and such, but if I could tie the game to a novel, I could write my master thesis on Fallout :D atleast include it.
#18 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
I'm guessing that the Fallout-universe is heavily inspired by post-apocalyptic movies and such, but if I could tie the game to a novel, I could write my master thesis on Fallout :D atleast include it._Judas_
Just a question, what kind of masters thesis are you doing? Curious to know, doing a thesis now myself - though not a masters.
#19 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4355 posts) -

[QUOTE="smerlus"]There haven't been any fallout Novels and if you can get a hand on the Fallout Bible, it has a lot of decent info on it. The only Video Game novel that I can recall that deals with a post apocalyptic setting is Rage. It's actually decent too as it includes a story that they seemed to have left out of the game._Judas_
I'm not talking about Fallout-novels, I'm talking about other novels that might have inspired on,or a story, setting, or world where Fallout has been partially based upon. I'm guessing that the Fallout-universe is heavily inspired by post-apocalyptic movies and such, but if I could tie the game to a novel, I could write my master thesis on Fallout :D atleast include it.

Fallout isn't inspired by any movie or novel, it's inspired by what people in the 50s though the future was going to be like. The entire atmosphere has a very 50s feel despite being set well into the future. It's what sets the Fallout Universe apart from every other post-apocalyptic universe.

#20 Posted by _Judas_ (677 posts) -
Ahhh, I just wrote a long bit about the subject at hand - fallout, the scare of nuclear war after WWII, and other relevant stuff, but it got deleted.....damn. I don't want to write it all again, but you Toxic-Seahorse are both wrong and right.. Scrat_01 : I am writing my masters thesis in literature, so finding space for Fallout might be tough.
#21 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -
I'm not sure why I didn't mention this earlier but the Fallout games didn't get their inspiration from a book that I recall but was a spiritual successor to a game called Wasteland. I tried to do a search of what enfluenced Wasteland but the game is pretty old and I didn't quickly find an answer.