Stick with 7? Or go with Windows 8?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Hey guys, planning on backing my files up and doing a clean install soon (Usually do these every 2 years or so)

I've got a copy of windows 7, i was curious if 8 is worth the upgrade.
If i had a touch screen laptop or something, i could see it being worthwhile. But for a non-touchscreen desktop?

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts

Hey guys, planning on backing my files up and doing a clean install soon (Usually do these every 2 years or so)

I've got a copy of windows 7, i was curious if 8 is worth the upgrade.
If i had a touch screen laptop or something, i could see it being worthwhile. But for a non-touchscreen desktop?

Nibroc420

I prefer Windows 7.  I don't like the Metro at startup in Windows 8 and I don't like using 3rd party start menus to add start menu and bypass Metro.  I don't think it's worth it upgrading to Windows 8 and the only reason I bought Windows 8 was because I got a good deal on it.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Stick with 7. I tried to be optimistic and bought an upgrade to Windows 8. But after using it for about a week I need a fresh reinstall of Windows 7. 

gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

Stick with 7 imo.

Its was only worth it to me since it 40$ and I was upgrading from windows xp which I had been using for a long since it saved me some money when it came to upgrading but with direct x 10 and 11 I had to upgrade to windows 8.

I'm just glad I got it for only 40$. Windows 8 Isn't to bad is has a little bit of learning curve and some issues with games for windows live needing to be re-installed to certain games. I do love the synced theme's from windows 8 using my msn account.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Windows 8 is a lot faster. I installed Windows 7 again on my desktop and it's slower, especially startup/shutdown.

Installing all 5000 updates is frustrating on a 4 year old os, especially if you accidentally reboot in the middle of an important update like .net framework and break your install(yes I did that, oops). This wouldn't be a problem if Microsoft just made SP2 update.

I went back to Windows 7 because you can't force polling rate on mice. I want 500hz for my razer salmosa pro edition, but Windows 8 won't let me do that through hidusb. (This only applies to mice which don't have hardware switches/software support)

Aero negatively affects performance a lot more than I thought, I had to go back to the Windows classic theme.

From a customizability standpoint, Windows 8 is worse. It does not save your wireless networks that youve connected to, secure bootloader, the startmenu(you can buy start8), folder viewing and sorting, some control panel options are only configurable through metro, cant force polling unofficially, RTC is optimized for power saving(not really an issue), dpc latency is rewritten for no reason and is reported wrong unless you use latencymon, stuff like that.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

From a customizability standpoint, Windows 8 is worse. It does not save your wireless networks that youve connected to, secure bootloader, the startmenu(you can buy start8), folder viewing and sorting, some control panel options are only configurable through metro, cant force polling unofficially, RTC is optimized for power saving(not really an issue), dpc latency is rewritten for no reason and is reported wrong unless you use latencymon, stuff like that.

JigglyWiggly_

Where did you get the idea that Windows 8 doesn't save wireless networks? It absolutely does. Not only does it do that but it also appears to share the saved networks between multiple instances of the OS using the same Live ID.

-Byshop

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

From a customizability standpoint, Windows 8 is worse. It does not save your wireless networks that youve connected toJigglyWiggly_

The Windows 8 install on my ASUS saves all of mine, including my home WiFi which is set to not broadcast at all. It certainly saves the campus WiFi and another at a mall Food Court.

As for Win 7 or Win 8......

If I have to choose between the two or already have a Win 7 license, I'd stick with Win 7. If I buy a system with Win 8 on it, I stick with Win 8. For me, it's not really worth it to replace Win 8 with Win 7. I can work fine with either OS. 

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

Byshop

Where did you get the idea that Windows 8 doesn't save wireless networks? It absolutely does. Not only does it do that but it also appears to share the saved networks between multiple instances of the OS using the same Live ID.

-Byshop

try to a view a saved network password
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

I would just upgrade to 8.1, but if you are going to be buying your games on Steam, then you can switch to Ubuntu until Steam OS is released. Both AMD and Nvidia are hard at work building better drivers for Linux. That should save you $100 from upgrading to Windows.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

JigglyWiggly_

-Byshop

easy, right click on your saved network and click on View Connection Properties! BAM!!!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

JigglyWiggly_

-Byshop

Not saving your wireless credentials and not being able to view the password on saved credentials are two very different things. Besides, there's a wifi profile manager you can download that lets you do this anyway.

-Byshop

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts
stick with windows 7, i like it much more then 8. I find it runs some programs better then 8 also.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

FireEmblem_Man

easy, right click on your saved network and click on View Connection Properties! BAM!!!

not there in windows 8 http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ac80d8ec-21ad-4d44-9a0c-c8777f861db7/windows-8-manage-wireless-networks
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Stick with Windows 7 man, otherwise you're downgrading.

Avatar image for ChocolateCake10
ChocolateCake10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChocolateCake10
Member since 2008 • 759 Posts

Once you learn the ways of windows 8 its much better imo

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I've found 8 to be much faster, especially booting.  Takes my laptop around 7 seconds with a standard HD.  I dislike not being able to boot to desktop bit it's only one click away and a fix for this and the lack of start menu is nearly here.  I'm happy using either really but would probably go with 8 just for future support and the quicker boot times.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Keep Windows 7. It maybe be 4+ years old, but its still way better than Windows 8. Maybe next time Microsoft. (Windows 9?)

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

It's not worth it if you have to pay, but personally, I'm not going back to 7.

And just in case: I got my licenses for free through Dreamspark...