Steam's weekend special(free Chivalry weekend!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

This is Steam's weekend special this week:

CHIVALRY: MEDIEVAL WARFARE 50% Off - $12.49
http://store.steampowered.com/app/219640
header_292x136.jpg?t=1355954306

*You can try this game out on the weekend for free with Steam now*

HOTLINE MIAMI 50% Off - $4.99
http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/219150/
header.jpg?t=1355882402

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Even without a newb weekend the game is spam fest, I cant even imagine what it's like now.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'll jump in and have fun killing the new players who don't know what their doing. I wonder if this has something to do with the new update thats supposed to be coming out soon.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Give it a try people, its a good little game.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
I installed it for the weekend but I have a feeling I won't get around to playing it since DMC and PoE beta just came out
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Game's awesome. Everyone get on it and try it. you'll buy. As for the "spamfest" accusations... yeah, the unskilled players do just spam attacks with fast weapons, and it can get annoying. You just need to know how to counter them. Every time I get killed by a spammer, it's annoying, but it's still because I messed up in my defense. If I'm at the top of my game, spammers get shut down fast, and the only people who kill me are those who actually best me in a duel (or attack me from behind, if it's FFA or a huge team battle).

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_bi99man

I installed it for the weekend but I have a feeling I won't get around to playing it since DMC and PoE beta just came outBPoole96

You should go ahead and play it for the weekend. DMC and PoE will still be there next weekend. :P

but yeah, PoE beta will steal your time. It's great.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I installed it for the weekend but I have a feeling I won't get around to playing it since DMC and PoE beta just came outthe_bi99man

You should go ahead and play it for the weekend. DMC and PoE will still be there next weekend. :P

Does the combat play anything like Dark Messiah?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Combat compares to what?
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Fun little online romp here, everyone should give it a go!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime

Game's awesome. Everyone get on it and try it. you'll buy. As for the "spamfest" accusations... yeah, the unskilled players do just spam attacks with fast weapons, and it can get annoying. You just need to know how to counter them. Every time I get killed by a spammer, it's annoying, but it's still because I messed up in my defense. If I'm at the top of my game, spammers get shut down fast, and the only people who kill me are those who actually best me in a duel (or attack me from behind, if it's FFA or a huge team battle).

the_bi99man
It's a spam fest in the sense that it's way too easy. I put 20 hours into the game, yet I somehow come out in the 1st place of most matches I play. In comparison, it probably took me a good year of practice before I could top scoreboards easily in M&B. Seems like a little feintwork crushes most pubbers out there.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

chivalry is too amazing
it's the ultimate mad simulator
me, zubin, alain, and owning 24/7 keep playing FFA and we just team up and I keep spamming the laugh taunt after we team up on people unfairly.

the game can be indepth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRxtazljg&t=7m30s&hd=1

but I prefer this playstlye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ug4nug7ek&hd=1

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I installed it for the weekend but I have a feeling I won't get around to playing it since DMC and PoE beta just came outBPoole96

More or less, it has more weight behind attacks and soldiers move faster/slower depending on the amount of armor.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 with_teeth26

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

KHAndAnime

It's a spam fest in the sense that it's way too easy. I put 20 hours into the game, yet I somehow come out in the 1st place of most matches I play. In comparison, it probably took me a good year of practice before I could top scoreboards easily in M&B. Seems like a little feintwork crushes most pubbers out there.

M&B definitely has more depth to the combat but Chivalry has a much better sense of weight and impact which makes it more entertaining. Coming from M&B like you I did very well from the start but the odd time you run into someone else who knows what they are doing the duels get really intense.

The new duel mode coming in the next update should remove some of the spamyness.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

with_teeth26

M&B definitely has more depth to the combat but Chivalry has a much better sense of weight and impact which makes it more entertaining. Coming from M&B like you I did very well from the start but the odd time you run into someone else who knows what they are doing the duels get really intense.

The new duel mode coming in the next update should remove some of the spamyness.

IMO Its sense of weight and impact it poop. What weight? There's no glancing blows :P You can hit someone for full damage at the instant you start your swing, so I don't think there is weight (or momentum to the swings, for that matter). I'm excited for duel mode though.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
ooo. i wanted to try chivalry but didn't drop the money for it :)
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I agree that it is a spam fest, but im thinking about it more from me being TK'd atleast 3 times every map. I have 6 hours into it and i've never TK'd anyone, but i've been TK'd probably 20+ times. I can understand that occasionally it happens, but im really tired of guys just running up to me and the enemy and just wildly swinging their weapon without any regard to their own team's safety.

Also, it can be frustrating when the controls don't react to your button inputs. There have been several times that I swear i was right clicking to put the shield out and even after the sword swinging animation was over it wouldn't come out. I've also noticed it with running when i try to press shift and nothing happens.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 with_teeth26

IMO Its sense of weight and impact it poop. What weight? There's no glancing blows :P You can hit someone for full damage at the instant you start your swing, so I don't think there is weight (or momentum to the swings, for that matter). I'm excited for duel mode though.KHAndAnime

Well, I was thinking more about how the sounds and animations in M&B make it seem like all the weapons are made out of plastic. It looks and feels like you are swinging a big heavy weapon in Chivalry.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

DanielDust

More or less, it has more weight behind attacks and soldiers move faster/slower depending on the amount of armor.

Does it function the same way as in you can choose the direction you want to swing/stab? I really enjoyed that in DM as opposed to games like Skyrim or Dishonored where it's just LMB spam
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Does the combat play anything like Dark Messiah?BPoole96

Does it function the same way as in you can choose the direction you want to swing/stab? I really enjoyed that in DM as opposed to games like Skyrim or Dishonored where it's just LMB spam

Well, damage paths aren't scripted (don't know how else to call them, but inflicting and receiving damage is way more dynamic than something like Skyrim, even M&B), the action of damage extends to wherever you swing your sword, if you do a 360 spin while you do a simple horizontal slash, you will hit anything you direct your sword at, high or low, the speed of your turn also increases the chance to sever parts (bodies fly everywhere if you make such movements with hammers, heads get crushed).

Spamming is a viable tactic in your usual pugs, some classes do it better than others (man at arms for example since his attacks consume almost no vitality at all), but this game has what it needs to be competitive, if you parry, feint, push, etc, you will absolutely crush any spammer with ease. If you set up some duels against good players you might fight for 7 minutes at least till one is victorius.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Does the combat play anything like Dark Messiah?BPoole96

Not really. You get three attack types, horizontal swing, vertical swing, and stab. You can make combos out of them by hitting another attack button before you get halfway through your first swing, but that will leave you open to attack if your first swing misses. You can also cancel an attack (feinting) by hitting the cancel button before reaching the halfway point of the swing. Feinting costs some stamina, but is very useful, particularly against someone who's not using a shield. all weapons can block attacks, but if you're using a weapon rather than a shield to block, you can't just hold it up. You have to time it. So if you can get someone to throw up a block when you feint an attack, you come in with a real attack right after that, and they won't be able to block it because they'll be recovering from their failed block. All swings can be manipulated in real time, as well, by moving your body and aim during the swing. Once you get the hang of it, you can use that to sneak in stabs around shields, or crush vertical strikes over shields. There's a whole bunch of weapons, with various stats for reach, speed, and damage. It definitely takes some getting used to, and can be frustrating at first, but it's quite intuitive once you get into it.

I'd recommend playing duel servers to really get a feel for the combat. It can be hard to learn in a big team game or FFA, when you might be trying to fight someone, and someone else will just come up and chop off your head from behind. There's no official "duel mode" (yet. that's coming with the next big patch), but there are a handful of "duel servers", where it's just FFA, but everyone agrees to pair up into duels, and kick players who attack people who are already dueling.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_bi99man

Spamming is a viable tactic in your usual pugs, some classes do it better than others (man at arms for example since his attacks consume almost no vitality at all), but this game has what it needs to be competitive, if you parry, feint, push, etc, you will absolutely crush any spammer with ease. If you set up some duels against good players you might fight for 7 minutes at least till one is victorius.

DanielDust

yeah, the maa is the go to class for spammers, cuz they're so fast. You can definitely get out of it, though. If you time a block well enough, you'll break their spam pattern long enough to get into a real fight. And if they're too fast to get a good block in, you can use the kick/push. took me a while to realize that the kick/push was uninterruptable, making it the perfect counter for a spammer.

and yeah, i've had some seriously epic duels. Minutes on end of swashbuckling. I love this game. hahaha.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="DanielDust"] More or less, it has more weight behind attacks and soldiers move faster/slower depending on the amount of armor.DanielDust

Well, damage paths aren't scripted (don't know how else to call them, but inflicting and receiving damage is way more dynamic than something like Skyrim, even M&B), the action of damage extends to wherever you swing your sword, if you do a 360 spin while you do a simple horizontal slash, you will hit anything you direct your sword at, high or low, the speed of your turn also increases the chance to sever parts (bodies fly everywhere if you make such movements with hammers, heads get crushed).

Sounds interesting. Thanks for your input. You as well bi99man :)
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#25 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

chivalry is too amazing
me, zubin, alain, and owning 24/7 keep playing FFA and we just team up and I keep spamming the laugh taunt after we team up on people unfairly.

the game can be indepth

JigglyWiggly_
Post like these is what makes me NOT want to play the game. People like you ruin games like this, when you have no one left to kill don't wonder why.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

chivalry is too amazing

the game can be indepth

vfibsux

Post like these is what makes me NOT want to play the game. People like you ruin games like this, when you have no one left to kill don't wonder why.

if you want to play it properly
go play duel, like in the first video
otherwise face our wrath

ffa is full of butthurts

our team has the best combo

alain: completely random gamestyle that throws anyone off. He has a 6th sense, he does things nobody else does. He plays quake too

Zubin: BF3 pro inf player, also pro jet pilot

Me: Pro quake shafter

Owning 24/7: great all rounder, high 24/7

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

I posted a video on YouTube of Chivalry. Apparently, I am not good at it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=valbWfRP9Ss

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonsieurX
Played 2-3 games tonight Quite fun...went with the 2h sledgehammer :D
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kozzy1234

Love playing Objective mode with a few friends, so fun when big battles get going.

Going to have to jump on tonight or 2morrow :P

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BPoole96

I played it for about an hour and while I did enojy it, I just don't think it's a game I would spendm uch time with. I can already see what would start turning me off of the game, whether it be teammates hitting me while I am fighting another player, or the cowards archers that sit up on a perch and shoot wildly into a crowd of people. I'll probably play some more this weekend though

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_bi99man

I played it for about an hour and while I did enojy it, I just don't think it's a game I would spendm uch time with. I can already see what would start turning me off of the game, whether it be teammates hitting me while I am fighting another player, or the cowards archers that sit up on a perch and shoot wildly into a crowd of people. I'll probably play some more this weekend though

BPoole96

I'd say definitely try it some more over the weekend to really get a feel for it. That annoying stuff happens sometimes, but it's not too bad. Especially if you get into a good server, with a huge Team Objective match, and good players on both teams. Everyone seems to hate the archers, but I like the purpose they serve in the objective maps. They're annoying as hell in FFA and deathmatch, though, for sure. Try to join a server with like 40+ players on an objective map, and get on the attacking team. That's the way I fell in love with the game. Sooo epic. Pillage the town and kill the peasants, then push the battering ram up to castle gate, amid catapults, ballistae, and burning oil being dumped from the wall, bash the gate in, then assault the thrown room to murder the king (who is the top player on the defending team)... It's a little campaign. :D

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

the_bi99man

I'd say definitely try it some more over the weekend to really get a feel for it. That annoying stuff happens sometimes, but it's not too bad. Especially if you get into a good server, with a huge Team Objective match, and good players on both teams. Everyone seems to hate the archers, but I like the purpose they serve in the objective maps. They're annoying as hell in FFA and deathmatch, though, for sure. Try to join a server with like 40+ players on an objective map, and get on the attacking team. That's the way I fell in love with the game. Sooo epic. Pillage the town and kill the peasants, then push the battering ram up to castle gate, amid catapults, ballistae, and burning oil being dumped from the wall, bash the gate in, then assault the thrown room to murder the king (who is the top player on the defending team)... It's a little campaign. :D

I was actually doing that objective mode that you just described. My team easily pillaged the village and pushed the ram all the way up towards the castle door but then the other team all switched to archers and we just shooting randomly towards our spawn. Rarely would I get up to where the ram was without having taken 2 arrows. Then it would just take 1 guy to come up and slash me and I'd be dead.

When it came to the actual fighting, I thought I did pretty well, but just like most other MP games, people that like to sit on a perch away from the danger spoil the fun for everyone else.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

the_bi99man

Cosign, its not a game you will learn or master on you're first try. Got much better later on for me, the first little bit I was not super impressed by.

TheHunterV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheHunterV3
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts

Already have it from the winter sale.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Cool news, heading to a small LAN with people who played the mod a few years ago so this is perfect timing.