Steam...Has Been Hacked :O

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BiscuitCruiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BiscuitCruiser
Member since 2011 • 352 Posts

http://uk.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28934163/steam-hacked?tag=topics%3Btitle

:O

I hope none of my stuff is lost..

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
For the love of God...System Wars, it's like talking about charity with terrorists that shoot at you, darn trap. Yes it's been hacked for a few days, the Steam forums that is, if you're one of the sadly, few smart Steam users (verified account, steam guard, decent and different passwords for your accounts and emails) you won't have any problems, if you aren't, time to get paranoid and fix the flaws.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Unless you've used the same Username and Password for your forum account as your Steam account, then odds are you're okay
dsownge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 dsownge
Member since 2005 • 2393 Posts

The credit cards are the real problem, I hope they fix and find evidence soon.

dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts

Im glad I've never purchased anything off of steam directly, just activation from store purchases....One of my friends is freaking out because he thinks his credit card info was stolen and an attempt to purchase has already been done......

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Just deleted Credit card number on steam. Hope i wasnt too late...
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

For the love of God...System Wars, it's like talking about charity with terrorists that shoot at you, darn trap. Yes it's been hacked for a few days, the Steam forums that is, if you're one of the sadly, few smart Steam users (verified account, steam guard, decent and different passwords for your accounts and emails) you won't have any problems, if you aren't, time to get paranoid and fix the flaws.DanielDust

Read the story. The hack went beyond the forums....

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Fortunately, my usernames and passwords are different. :)

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 LUMIN4RY
Member since 2011 • 416 Posts

Never let a website keep your CC info. NEVER!

murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts
[QUOTE="kris9031998"]Just deleted Credit card number on steam. Hope i wasnt too late...

How do you delete card number?
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Luckily I never even setup a Steam Forum account, so I need not worry personally, though I hope they get this sorted soon, I think I will change my steam login password none-the-less.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I never set up a steam forums account, lazyness prevails once again

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kris9031998
[QUOTE="murekkep"][QUOTE="kris9031998"]Just deleted Credit card number on steam. Hope i wasnt too late...

How do you delete card number?

Click on steam, Go into settings, Click view account history (upper right corner) press delete next to the last four digits on the right side.
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

Don't think I ever used the forums...am I safe?

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts

I did use the Steam forums but when Dragon Age Origins was released. Havent returned since. Im still alert though for any charges on my cc.

Guys off topic here, at what time is Skyrim officially released? At 12am USEastern time? Thanks.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Yeah I saw it as I connected to Steam. I still decided to change my password just in case.
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
My forum and store passwords are way different. Not worried there. The credit card info is something else....encrypted or not. Deleted my card, Starting to piss me off....first I need to change my passwords every 2 weeks because somebody got hacked....but now my CC ? That's a little too much.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Well isn't this quite an awful situation.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Steam Guard prevails. Hell yeah.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I think it would be pointless to delete your credit card now. If the information's already out there, it's already out there. Well, unless you are going to get different account numbers I guess.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#22 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Just make sure when you buy something that it doesnt keep your info for the next time. Only takes a minute to write it in when you want ot buy something anyways.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Someone should find these hackers and chop their fingers off, and then someone should sue Steam for incompetence. That will save everyone time and money.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#24 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

Click Steam

Go to Settings

Manage Steam Guard Account Security

Deauthorize all other computers now

This is your best bet at this point. Make sure the passwords for your email and steam are different as well (as in, change one of them now if they aren't) and you should be fine.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Time to change my password....
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Click Steam

Go to Settings

This is your best bet at this point. Make sure the passwords for your email and steam are different as well (as in, change one of them now if they aren't) and you should be fine.

krazyorange

I just did this. Thank you. :)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts
I don't think our accounts are at risk - Steam Guard shuts down anyone else's ability to log into your account. The only problem is the possible leak of credit card info, but they might not have taken anything, and it's all encrypted anyway. So...eh, I'm not too worried.
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

The last CC I used to buy something on steam I had deactivated because some one bought something with my card....Good luck using that CC :P

Garnog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 Garnog
Member since 2003 • 69 Posts

I guess Steam didn't learn anything from the PSN debacle. Either these hackers are too Uber Leet for companies to guard against, or their security protocols are just not adequate. Either way, there will be a reckoning. I am going to pray for these hackers... I'm praying that they get eaten by hogs. Painfully and slowly.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

I guess Steam didn't learn anything from the PSN debacle. Either these hackers are too Uber Leet for companies to guard against, or their security protocols are just not adequate. Either way, there will be a reckoning. I am going to pray for these hackers... I'm praying that they get eaten by hogs. Painfully and slowly.

Garnog
Yeaaah.. Steam's security on this is a level up from PSN as of the hacks. If nothing else, the passwords and CC data are all hashed/salted and encrypted. No plaintext here!
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

I guess Steam didn't learn anything from the PSN debacle. Either these hackers are too Uber Leet for companies to guard against, or their security protocols are just not adequate.

Garnog

It's a bit different - for starters, Valve's passwords and CC info databases are encrypted, unlike Sony's.

Also, everything on Steam is fully functioning (besides the forum)...unlike the aftermath of Sony's hack, where PSN went down for a long while.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#32 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

[QUOTE="Garnog"]

Makari

Yeaaah.. Steam's security on this is a level up from PSN as of the hacks. If nothing else, the passwords and CC data are all hashed/salted and encrypted. No plaintext here!

hashed and salted...

time to make dinner

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

[QUOTE="krazyorange"]

Click Steam

Go to Settings

Cwagmire21

I just did this. Thank you. :)

but of course. Nice sig btw
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]For the love of God...System Wars, it's like talking about charity with terrorists that shoot at you, darn trap. Yes it's been hacked for a few days, the Steam forums that is, if you're one of the sadly, few smart Steam users (verified account, steam guard, decent and different passwords for your accounts and emails) you won't have any problems, if you aren't, time to get paranoid and fix the flaws.Johnny_Rock

Read the story. The hack went beyond the forums....

Everything is fine, if what I said there is in order, no need for paranoia when nothing was compromised, it's still "just a forum attack", and compromised forum accounts are nothing, our CCs will expire till they manage to find out the exact numbers, only those that left CC info on their account, should just check if everything is in order, everything is fine...
NattyZilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NattyZilla
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Steam is responsible for this and should be accountable for any misuse of your personal information. I'm ready to go legal by punishing these companies for their security flaws and allowing our personal information to be breached. It's ridiculous! We need to stand up and go after all companies not keeping up-2-date on security for our personal data. They're responsible for keeping our data secure.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kris9031998
Steam is responsible for this and should be accountable for any misuse of your personal information. I'm ready to go legal by punishing these companies for their security flaws and allowing our personal information to be breached. It's ridiculous! We need to stand up and go after all companies not keeping up-2-date on security for our personal data. They're responsible for keeping our data secure.NattyZilla
Im not surprised a person is threatening legal action :roll:
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Steam is responsible for this and should be accountable for any misuse of your personal information. I'm ready to go legal by punishing these companies for their security flaws and allowing our personal information to be breached. It's ridiculous! We need to stand up and go after all companies not keeping up-2-date on security for our personal data. They're responsible for keeping our data secure.NattyZilla
...they did keep it secure, which was the gist of Gabe's post. if they can get at your personal data behind all that encryption, we've got much bigger problems in the world. :)
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Everything's hashed and encrypted, you can't wish for much more. The government has lost loads of laptops with unencrypted confidential data on them, why don't you go sue them first?