Steam Refusing to Honor Tropico 5 Pre-Order Bonuses to Some Users

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jkarrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jkarrde
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I am writing this story because I'm rather surprised it hasn't been picked up by any other news sources. As a Steam user from its first inception, and a strong supporter of it's supremacy as the best, least troublesome online distribution system, it's with a heavy heart that I report one of the worse customer support experiences I've ever had. That experience brought to me courtesy of Steam Customer Support. I've decided to spread this story anywhere I can, because I'm not sure what else can be done. Enough for introductions though... the support transcript tells the story better than I can.

1 Message by you on Sun, 11th May 2014 9:08 am Wrote:I'm supposed to get a free copy of Omerta City of Gangsters for pre-ordering Tropico 5, but I still have no received it yet.

2 Message by Support Tech Jax on Tue, 13th May 2014 3:21 pm Wrote:Hello WildKarrde,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Extra copies are not given for duplicate game purchases unless explicitly stated otherwise.

For more information on Extra Copies and qualifying products, please read the following link:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_arti...-TPJL-2656

Users are notified of this article during the checkout process before the purchase is completed. Please see the following link for an example:

https://support.steampowered.com/images/.../store.png

Additionally, users are notified upon redeeming a gifted bundle containing games that they already own.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

3 Message by you on Tue, 13th May 2014 4:19 pm Wrote:This isn't a problem I'm having with a Humble Bundle, this is an issue I'm having with the tiered pre-order bonuses that the Tropico 5 store page says I'm entitled to, so I'm not quite sure how the above article is applicable here.

The tiered reward system says "Everything Above, Plus: A free copy of Omerta - City of Gangsters" not "Everything Above, Plus: A free copy of Omerta - City of Gangsters, unless of course you own it, in which case you get nothing."

That's false advertising. The store page says I'll get a free copy of the game. Nowhere in that page does it say that if I already own it, I won't get it. I shouldn't have to look through multiple tomes of Steam policy before pre-ordering a game to see if I qualify for the pre-order bonuses or not. If there's absolutely no reference to it on the screen with the "Buy" button, then how can it be admissible? Especially when the pre-order clearly states I'll get a free copy of the game, period. No qualifiers attached.

Every single other time I've pre-ordered a game that had a game I owned as a bonus, I got a giftable copy of the game. Why has this suddenly changed with Omerta?

Furthermore, Kalypso explicitly stated in their April 2014 newsletter that "(*Should you already own this digital content, you can gift your key to a friend)." As found here:

http://islandoftropico.blogspot.se/2014/...april.html

*I included a screen shot of the store page in this message.*

4 Message by Support Tech Jax on Tue, 13th May 2014 8:13 pm[/quote Wrote:Hello WildKarrde,

As indicated by the Store page for this title, the bonus title in question is only added as a gift if the purchasing Steam account has previously registered this title.

Our records indicate that the Steam account in question has previously registered this title, as a result you will not receive a duplicate copy of the game.

Steam Support is unable to alter the subscription or grant a giftable version to your Steam Inventory.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

5 Message by you on Wed, 14th May 2014 6:43 am Wrote:You are contradicting yourself.

"As indicated by the Store page for this title, the bonus title in question is only added as a gift if the purchasing Steam account has previously registered this title."

Ok, so I bought this title prior to pre-purchasing Tropico 5. So, my account has previously registered this title. So, according to you, I should get a gift copy of the title. Though I must say, I'm curious as to which store page you are reading this from, as it is not found anywhere on the public store page. All that is said is that if tier 3 is hit, then you get Omerta. But then you say:

"Our records indicate that the Steam account in question has previously registered this title, as a result you will not receive a duplicate copy of the game."

You can't have it both ways! You say I only get a gift copy of the title if my Steam account had previously registered the game, then you confirm that my Steam account had previously registered the game, and because of that I don't get a gift copy. How does that make sense?

I'm going to refer you again to Kalypso's newsletter, which apparently you didn't read the last time. It clearly states I should receive a gift key if I already own the title, which I do.

http://islandoftropico.blogspot.se/2014/...april.html

Kalypso Media Newsletter: April 2014

Good news keeps on coming this April: The secret of the PC release date for Tropico 5 has finally been revealed, pre-purchase for the game is starting now and a second cinematic trailer keeps us Tropico fans entertained while we wait for release! We’ve also just started a Kalypso Launcher Easter DLC Flash Sale with a 50% discount. Lastly, there’s been a huge content update for Hegemony Rome: The Rise of Caesar. Plus, you can win 5 fantastic gaming packs in our Spring Cleaning Competition!

Learn more about the April news in this month’s newsletter!

Tropican Revelations: El Presidente has declared that on 23rd May 2014 Tropico 5 will be available digitally on PC, while the retail version will hit stores on 3rd June. The Xbox 360® and Mac versions will be releasing this summer with a version for the PlayStation®4 platform following in autumn. We are also working on an extensive Steam OS (Linux) version which will release with the respective new hardware.

As the Tropico 5 release date has been confirmed for PC, pre-purchase has now started. Order your boxed retail version now at Amazon and receive a limited Special Edition: which contains a Tropican passport and postcard displaying the beauty of Tropico, plus an additional DLC map ‘Bayo del Olfato’ and costume for your avatar.

Subject to change

The pre-purchase of the digital version on STEAM is also going to start in a few hours. You can choose between the Standard Edition and the Steam Special Edition, which includes a new ‘Isla de Vapor’ map and a costume for your avatar as well as the digital “Guide through Tropico Island” (PDF file).

Upon pre-ordering you will receive a 10% discount. Plus, you’ll get additional goodies, based on a tier-system depending on the overall number of STEAM pre-orders.

Tier 1: Tropico 4 STEAM Key*

Tier 2: Tropico 4 STEAM Key* + Tropico 5-DLC ‘The Big Cheese’ (available directly upon release in summer 2014)*

Tier 3: Tropico 4 STEAM Key* + Tropico 5-DLC ‘The Big Cheese’ (available directly upon release in summer 2014)* +

Omerta - City of Gangsters STEAM Key*

(*Should you already own this digital content, you can gift your key to a friend).

Check out the STEAM store page for more details!

6 Message by Support Tech Jax on Wed, 14th May 2014 5:08 pm Wrote:Hello WildKarrde,

I apologize for the confusion.

However, since you have previously registered a copy of the game you will *not receive an additional copy.

You are welcome to return your preorder purchase at any time prior to the release of the title.

To do so, log in to your Steam account details and view your Store Transactions page.

https://store.steampowered.com/account/s...ansactions

Games eligible for credit will show "Refund an Item" under the total purchase amount.

Please click "Refund an Item" and follow the prompts to complete the return process which will credit your Steam Wallet. The credit can be used for future Steam purchases.

To view your current available Steam Wallet balance:

- The current available balance will be listed in the upper right hand corner next to "[Your username]'s Account".

- In most cases, the new funds will automatically be displayed in your account.

- If this has not happened, please allow two hours for the transaction to fully complete.

Please Note: This only applies to preorders purchased from your account; preordered titles received or sent through the Steam Trading system cannot be returned for Wallet credit. We do not offer refunds, exchanges or Wallet credit for Early Access Games. If you have sent a preordered gift to another user as a gift, it will not be refundable once it has been redeemed by the recipient.

7 Message by you on Wed, 14th May 2014 5:47 pm Wrote:My copy of Tropico 5 is not eligible for a refund, despite the fact that I purchased it with my own account, as I already gifted my extra copy of Tropico 4. Make this right. The store page for Tropico 5 still says that I will receive a copy of Omerta, it does not specify that I will only receive a copy of Omerta if I don't already own it. The Kalypso newsletter clearly states that I will receive a giftable copy of the game if I already own it. Make this right! False advertising is no laughing matter, especially on the scale that you have committed it. I know I'm not the only person who has this problem. This will not be resolved until I get a copy of the game that was advertised to me.

8 Message by you on Wed, 14th May 2014 5:48 pm Wrote:And speaking of which, if your policy is as you say, why did I receive a giftable copy of Tropico 4 when I clearly had already redeemed a copy of it on my account?

9 Message by Support Tech Jax on Thu, 15th May 2014 2:44 pm[/quote Wrote:Hello WildKarrde,

Unfortunately, we will be unable to assist you further with this issue.

As previously explained, you will not receive an additional copy.

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

10 Message by you on Thu, 15th May 2014 6:39 pm Wrote:As previously explained, your store page says that I will receive a copy of the game with no stipulation on previous ownership, and Kalypso said themselves that if I already owned the game then I would get a gift copy.

This is not a debate. As previously explained, Steam owes me a copy of the game. You are able to assist me further, you are able to give me the pre-order bonuses that I was promised! It's as simple as that.

If you won't help me yourself, then it is time for you to escalate this support ticket to one of your superiors.

11 Message by you on Fri, 16th May 2014 8:52 pm Wrote:Another response from the developer stating that if I already own the game, I should get a gift copy, look at response #1 in this thread on your forums. Why do you flat out refuse to acknowledge that I am owed a gift copy of the game? It would be one thing to say you're having some kind of technical difficulty and need to work it out, but I find the fact that you're flat out lying to me very disheartening. I asked you to escalate this ticket to one of your superiors, not close it. This ticket has not been resolved yet.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/245620/dis...746138817/

-=sH!Ne=-;558753803752323268 Wrote:You will get an extra copy as a gift if you already own the title.

12 Message by you on Mon, 19th May 2014 5:27 pm Wrote:Stop closing my ticket and address the issue!

Nowhere on the Steam store page does it say that I will not receive another copy of the game if I already own it. I have given you two references to Kalypso stating that if I already own Omerta I will get a gift copy of it. Address the issue!!

Only my name has been changed to protect privacy, nothing else in the above messages has been altered.

Forum threads I've participated in documenting the problem:
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=22585&pid=186656#pid186656
http://steamcommunity.com/app/245620/discussions/0/558754899311047352/#p1
http://steamcommunity.com/app/245620/discussions/0/558753803746138817/

*UPDATE*

Apparently my ticket was finally forwarded to a superior... or at least somebody different than Jax responded, and I finally got my copy of Omerta, as well as an apology.

Still pretty annoyed that it took so long for Steam support to even admit that there was a problem, but I have my gift copy of Omerta now. Hopefully this means that Kalypso has finally sorted things out, and others will be getting their copies as well.

It only took 10 days, 18 messages and 2 tech support staff (as well as many posts like this, which I can't positively confirm had any effect on the final result), but it has finally been taken care of.

I guess I have no beef with Steam anymore... but wow....

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

First Link in your post (extra copies steam support page) says extra copies promotions do not apply to any games other than those specifically listed, Tropic 5 / Omerta City of Gangsters are not included. No where is it stated that you will receive a gift able copy, obviously steam will not be giving you one, maybe try contacting the developer instead.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Well it's definitely wrong that they give you a giftable copy of Tropico 4 and not of the other game when both are advertised exactly the same way. They need to fix the steam sales page to indicate that you only get the omerta game for your account if you have not already got a copy.

Although I will say in general that Steam does not give you gift copies of games, they just put it straight into your account if you don't have the game. Tropico 4 isn't even in the exceptions.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58947 Posts

I mainly use gaming dragon for my steam games now. Just yesterday I misordered Watchdogs. Within about 15 minutes the dude from the website redounded my paypal money and I ordered a better tier.

Legit alternatives exist, not all websites selling games are scams. You can save a lot of money. Not just 5-10% I usually save 33%+

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I'm not surprised but I agree that Steam has started it's descent from grace, has it not already fallen.

Their Greenlight system has next to no quality control either.

jkarrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jkarrde

@Tokeism:

Your reading comprehension is apparently about as good as Steam's customer support. Did you miss the part about the game developers saying that if you already own the game you will get a giftable copy? How much more clear than day can it get?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

@jkarrde: It's a dumb policy, but Steam support can't make allowances based on whatever the developers say. That's on them. Contact Kalypso support and ask them for a free giftable copy since that's what they were advertising. Alternatively, ask to speak to a manager at Steam, though I'm not sure they even escalate like that.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@jkarrde said:

@Tokeism:

Your reading comprehension is apparently about as good as Steam's customer support. Did you miss the part about the game developers saying that if you already own the game you will get a giftable copy? How much more clear than day can it get?

Where exactly does it say that you will get a gift-able copy? I don't see it on the Tropico 5 page, meaning that the devlopers themselves would have to have said it. I'd like to point out that it's not Steam's fault that the developers said steam will do something they don't do. Steam doesn't give out gift-able games if you already own it (aside from a few one a list, which this game is not) and a developer saying they will isn't steam's fault at all.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

It looks more like Kalypso messing things up and promising things that they can't fulfill. On part of Steam it's just another demonstration of their lack of good quality control.

jkarrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jkarrde

@Toxic-Seahorse: Read the conversation, I have stated twice where it is said that I would receive a gift copy of the game if I already owned it.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Steam has never given out giftable copies of games you already own, this has ALWAYS been the case for me. I've been a Steam member for 10 years and I have never had this issue. I have received many giftable copies of games that were not on that list.

A perfectly good example... why did I receive a giftable copy of Tropico 4 if that is truly their policy? Next time... read the story. All this has been addressed in my messages to Steam support.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse

@jkarrde said:

@Toxic-Seahorse: Read the conversation, I have stated twice where it is said that I would receive a gift copy of the game if I already owned it.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Steam has never given out giftable copies of games you already own, this has ALWAYS been the case for me. I've been a Steam member for 10 years and I have never had this issue. I have received many giftable copies of games that were not on that list.

A perfectly good example... why did I receive a giftable copy of Tropico 4 if that is truly their policy? Next time... read the story. All this has been addressed in my messages to Steam support.

Steam support said the exact same thing I just did. They do not give gift-able copies of games if you already own them for MOST GAMES. Not all, but most. It doesn't matter what the developers say Steam will do because they're not steam. It doesn't matter what Kalypso says, it only matters what steam says, and they said the exact same thing I did. You can't fault steam for something they didn't say. The Kalypso newsletter is not written by steam, steam has no control over what Kalypso tells it's customers. Your issue should be with what Kalypso promised. That paragraph may seem redundant, but you're clearly having difficulty understanding the situation here.

What if I told everyone that you were giving out free copies of Tropico 5? Sure I'm not you, but I said it, so you have to fulfill it, right? That's the same situation here. Nowhere does STEAM ever say you will get a gift-able copy of the game, KALYPSO says it, but not STEAM. Steam cannot control what Kalypso says. You're getting mad at the wrong party here.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It's both their faults. Good companies tend to go out of their way to help people who complain like Amazon. Steam has 0 support, even Origin's is much better.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toxic-Seahorse

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

It's both their faults. Good companies tend to go out of their way to help people who complain like Amazon. Steam has 0 support, even Origin's is much better.

While I agree that steam has some bad customer service, not going against the policy for a customer doesn't make the situation steam's fault in any way. It's completely ridiculous to suggest that it is.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

While I agree that steam has some bad customer service, not going against the policy for a customer doesn't make the situation steam's fault in any way. It's completely ridiculous to suggest that it is.

It's not the customers fault... there is so much reading between the lines for something like this that should not be expected. Steam could make things right but they chose not to go out of their way to.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toxic-Seahorse

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

It's not the customers fault... there is so much reading between the lines for something like this that should not be expected. Steam could make things right but they chose not to go out of their way to.

It's obviously not the customer's fault, I never suggested that it was. It's Kalypso's fault for promising that steam would do something they don't do. I agree that it would be great for Steam to fix it, but they never have done anything like that and we don't really know what's involved for stream to do such a thing. In other words, them not going the extra mile doesn't make them at fault.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

The store page should be clearer, since...I really don't remember Steam giving extra copies as gifts in the past.

Even so, I would imagine that Kalypso are in control of the promotional keys that they are giving to their Steam customers. They'd be the ones to decide whether Steam customers get gift versions of duplicate keys (which has always been the exception rather than the rule - and really depends on how many extra keys the publishers wish to hand out), and so it's possible that they've either stuffed up or changed their minds about the promotion.

Either way, try contacting Kalypso's support staff about this. They might be able to fix it themselves - or they could force Valve to fix things on their end, if Steam is at fault here.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

As others have mentioned here, Steam is a middle-man between you and the publisher/developer. It's not exclusively Steam's fault, because Kalypso is equally guilty of the false advertising. Seems ridiculous that they can't just give you a Giftable copy of the game. Have you tried taking this up with Kalypso themselves? Seems like you'd have more luck on that end.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

You will have better luck getting a steam key for Omerta by contacting Kalypso. If that is your end goal you should focus your energy there instead.

jkarrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jkarrde

@KHAndAnime:

I have contacted Kalypso... they are trying to get Steam to fix this. New pre-orders come with both games, but since I have already gifted my copy of Tropico 4, I can't cancel my pre-order. So Steam simply needs to fix the problem.

jkarrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jkarrde

*Update*

Apparently my ticket was finally forwarded to a superior... or at least somebody different than Jax responded, and I finally got my copy of Omerta, as well as an apology.

Still pretty annoyed that it took so long for Steam support to even admit that there was a problem, but I have my gift copy of Omerta now. Hopefully this means that Kalypso has finally sorted things out, and others will be getting their copies as well.

I guess I have no beef with Steam anymore... but wow....

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Shitty customer service is pretty par for the course. Only places that actually treat you like a valued customer seem to be companies like Razer and Corsair. Logitech, EA, Steam tend ti blow when it comes to CS.