Steam gets another free game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58635 Posts

At first I thought it was another one of them bloody weird ass romance novel games, but its an ARPG, looks decent, even better that it's free.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35164

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Sometimes I wonder if every Japanese-styled RPG was artistically styled by one person. No joke, they're all identical. Could you imagine if all cartoons made in the U.S. looked identical? Everyone would think we're a bunch of unoriginal, non-artistically inclined morons. More than they already do, at least.

Did one Japanese guy draw a cartoon way back in the day, and everyone in Japan thought "we all gotta copy this guy"?

Like seriously, if this game's art and characters didn't look blatantly stolen from every other JRPG I've ever seen, I might have considered playing it. Artists should all have their own style, rather than using all their artistic ability trying to replicate a style that has been done to death.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

From what I read this was made by one guy.

Art/graphics doesn't really bother me as long as the underlying core gameplay is good.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

From what I read this was made by one guy.

Art/graphics doesn't really bother me as long as the underlying core gameplay is good, most of the games I play now are very old, as modern games tend to be abit on the shit side.

One guy? If that's true, then screw it - I'm impressed. Can't fault a game programmer for not inventing new art-styles for a game. I'll try it.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

That actually looks quite nice, it's impressive considering it's coming from a single person. Well done!

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

Oh boy, more weeb RPGs. Just what the world needed. Free isn't cheap enough.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

Already have far too big of a backlog to even entertain the thought of playing something like this. +1 on krazyorange's "Free isn't cheap enough." They'd have to pay me.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

cool, you should make a thread for each new steam game

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

this looks like an NES game

I have no interest in this shit when i have games like the Witcher 3 to play

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

The art style is absolutely dreadful...I'll skip it.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts
@ShepardCommandr said:

this looks like an NES game

I have no interest in this shit when i have games like the Witcher 3 to play

I can't help but wonder how many fantastic titles you've missed due to graphics. Have you played Super Meat Boy? Duck Game? Wasteland 2?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@Liquid_ said:

An excellent suggestion my friend, perhaps it is a good idea to sticky a thread listing all currently 100% legal free games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Liquid_ said:

An excellent suggestion my friend, perhaps it is a good idea to sticky a thread listing all currently 100% legal free games.

lol. Fantastic idea liquid. Hey man if you want to make a thread like this then don't forget to give credit to liquid for giving you the idea.

Sanch5375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sanch5375
Member since 2015 • 36 Posts

I played a game called Child of Light that was recently free on Xbox One, which was more turn based but i loved it. But this looks fun ill have to check it out.

alma996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 alma996
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts

It looks like a decent game! I love Steam for its free offerings. They're usually quite solid and a great way to kill some time and experience another type of game. Thanks for posting this here!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23806 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:

Sometimes I wonder if every Japanese-styled RPG was artistically styled by one person. No joke, they're all identical. Could you imagine if all cartoons made in the U.S. looked identical? Everyone would think we're a bunch of unoriginal, non-artistically inclined morons. More than they already do, at least.

Did one Japanese guy draw a cartoon way back in the day, and everyone in Japan thought "we all gotta copy this guy"?

Like seriously, if this game's art and characters didn't look blatantly stolen from every other JRPG I've ever seen, I might have considered playing it. Artists should all have their own style, rather than using all their artistic ability trying to replicate a style that has been done to death.

I agree that the artstyle is too similar in most jRPGs. But artstyles can still differ

Compare Dragon Quest to Paper Mario to Fire Emblem to Final Fantasy Tactics to Valkyria Chronicles.

Xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Xshinobi
Member since 2003 • 3011 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

This just happens to be the style that is popular now. If you look at anime and manga through the years you can see the styles change. Personally I'm a fan of stuff from the 80s and early 90s.